Octo Wednesday???

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

Glad to hear I did good on my 1st dive =o) I'm looking forward to next week and hopefully seeing a shark or octo.

I'll try to gain some weight this week like Maverick mentioned so i'm not so cold in deeper water. haha.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Calvin Tang wrote:Not only did I not get to see the 6 gill, I didn't even get to see the video. Are you gonna post it somewhere Bob?! :smt051
If I can find somebody who knows what to do with an AVI file. I'd like to edit it somewhat ... the first 15 or 20 seconds are the shark, and the last 10 seconds or so are me trying to figure out how to turn the camera off.

The file's huge ... over 100 megs.

It figures that last night I wouldn't have my Olympus ... I bought it for situations like that. The Fuji does a wonderful job with close-ups, but isn't ideal for anything farther away than a foot or so. When I saw the shark, I didn't even try for a picture ... I just threw the thing in movie mode and aimed it at the fish ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Grateful Diver wrote:If I can find somebody who knows what to do with an AVI file. I'd like to edit it somewhat ... the first 15 or 20 seconds are the shark, and the last 10 seconds or so are me trying to figure out how to turn the camera off.
hey, who needs editing? that last part sounds highly entertaining. ;-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Thanks for being such a great dive buddy Bob. It was nice seeing everyone and nice to meet the new people. Until next time.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Bob - what did you use for light? Your HID? I can't even imagine seeing one (someday - crossing fingers)... is it something you ever get used to? Even when you've seen 100 6gills, it HAS to startle you when you first see one. They're BIG fish.
Both of us had bigass honkin' HID lights ... we lit up the fish pretty well.

I'll share the video with y'all next Friday (unless I can figure out how to post a link to it before then).

When an 8-foot fish swims toward you out of the darkness, it does have a tendency to make your pulse rate increase just a bit.

Oh ... here's a photo show of the rest of the evening's entertainment ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/UK2Dh8xH

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

He found us, actually. We were at the I-beams ... had just passed six divers heading back in ... when he swam toward us from the deep end.

Sixgills generally approach very slowly, get close enough for a good look, decide you're not very interesting (can't eat it, can't mate with it, the heck with it), and turn away.

The whole encounter lasts typically less than a minute and it's gone.

Truth to tell, seals will give you more of a pucker factor because they come flying in out of the dark and are right in your face before you have time to identify them. Sixgills just kind've melt into and out of your light beam ... and they're beautiful critters to look at ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Freaks me out, but i want to see one
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.