Mukilteo Yesterday

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TCWestby
Submariner

Mukilteo Yesterday

Post by TCWestby »

Did 2 at Muk yesterday morning. Current was running but not too bad. Viz on dive 1 was bad. could barely make out my hand at arms length till we hit 30' then opened up nicely.

Dive 2 viz git to a whopping 1'. We were going to do the oil dock but aborted that as if we were going to use canes and brail we'd be better at the t-dock.

I'm wondering if the viz was bad because of all the runoff from the rivers? This was the worst viz I've ever seen.

First time back in my wetsuit, took 10lbs off the belt and can actually get my fins on without help. I also noticed I surface swim faster, what's up with that? Extra drag in th dry suit?

All in all, it was a good day, I just wish I'd gone back after the temp hit 90 at my house.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Re: Mukilteo Yesterday

Post by Rockfish »

Mukilteo is very influenced by fresh water specifically the Snohomish River. The river was running very high with snow melt. Also this time of year the surface vis starts to go bad as the plankton is starting to bloom. The week before we had 20 - 40 feet of vis. Friday night it was 1-5 feet down to 25 feet then it started to open up but it was dark at depth. There is for lack of a better term a lot of "snot" in the top 15 feet that has really reduced the vis. The cooler weather this week should lower the runoff and vis hopefully will get a little better.

Mike
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Mukilteo Yesterday

Post by Pez7378 »

Rockfish wrote: There is for lack of a better term a lot of "snot" in the top 15 feet that has really reduced the vis.
Mike
Yeah pretty "snotty", it sure makes you cross-eyed during those midwater safety stops if you don't focus on something. We were out by Hat Island yesterday and from 0-20 fsw it was murky. Worse, at 0-10 fsw, you couldnt see your gauges let alone your buddy! It was totally diving by braille. Underneath from 20-60 fsw it opened up pretty good but then it was dark as night.