Diver Trivia

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Diver Trivia

Post by Tangfish »

I was just catching up on my dive logging and came to the realization that I have been underwater for a total of 169 hours and 31 minutes. Now, this translates into just over a week straight, which actually isn't that much time if you think about it. Another trivial stat: since I currently have 237 dives logged, that translates into an average dive time of about 43 minutes, I guess that's about typical.

Share your dive log trivia! :book:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Funny you posted this. Just a few weeks ago I got my log caught up and added up my time. I now have 370 dives and about 260 hrs underwater. 90% cold water. Your average is like mine, 42 min.

Charles
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I have been underwater a total of 465 hours and 25 minutes, or 19 days, 9 hours, and 25 minutes (or, about the amount of bottom time Bob logs in a month). About 90% coldwater as well.

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm just now reaching about 40% cold water dives :fish:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I am 100% cold water dives! :supz:

On the other hand, I would LOVE to do some warm water dives! \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I am so far behinde on logging my dives I have no idea but I will let you know soon as I get cought up

I still havent loged the dives from our BBQ weekend at the hood Canal
but I only have to log the dives from then and the two I made last weekend

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Maybe it's because I'm a new diver (1 year Aug 27th! :supz: ) but I log my dives as soon as possible. Downloading the dives from my computer is always fun. I enjoy looking at the profiles, and now that I understand SAC rate better after GD's wonderful gas management seminar I have more to look at! After I download the dives I also fill out information in my physical hard copy log and then try and get a signature. Perhaps I'll get tired of it eventually (I'm only on dive #52), but right now it is a part of diving that I enjoy.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Tom Nic wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a new diver (1 year Aug 27th! :supz: ) but I log my dives as soon as possible. Downloading the dives from my computer is always fun. I enjoy looking at the profiles, and now that I understand SAC rate better after GD's wonderful gas management seminar I have more to look at! After I download the dives I also fill out information in my physical hard copy log and then try and get a signature. Perhaps I'll get tired of it eventually (I'm only on dive #52), but right now it is a part of diving that I enjoy.
I've got 810 dives so far, and I still enjoy logging my dives. I guess I'm just a data geek, but I love recording all the hard details as well as things like any equipment issues, photo issues or highlights, critters seen, interesting behaviors etc etc. Plus, I use the data for the REEF surveys I do, so it does double duty.

-Valerie :book:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

The main reason I log dives other than reasons posted already, is so in the future when I think of diving a spot I can go back and see if it was a good dive and worth it.

You know what they say, the old memory is the first thing to go. :smt119

2nd thing is the hair.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well i am now cought up on my logs as much as can be atleast
I stoped loging for a while about a year ago and then restarted loggin my dives for the reasons Chrles was saying

I have some place around 130 dives. But i have only loged 97 dives to date.
this gives me just over 2 1/2 days or 61 hours and 28 minutes under water

I know I know I need to get out more this is sad if you stop and think I started diving in September of 01

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Its hard when yoiu live so far away, I know. Today I drove 400 miles for 2 dives. ](*,) But my Tattoo turned out great. Its the way I pictured it when I first had them do it. \:D/ \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

aquanautchuck wrote:Its hard when yoiu live so far away, I know. Today I drove 400 miles for 2 dives. ](*,) But my Tattoo turned out great. Its the way I pictured it when I first had them do it. \:D/ \:D/
so now ya got to post a pic of it so we can all see how cool it came out

how was the diving
I thought about sneaking out for a dive but wife was not to keen on the idea I did not want to push my luck lol
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

:book: my total so far is 8 dives for 266 minutes. :smt038
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

aquanautchuck wrote:The main reason I log dives other than reasons posted already, is so in the future when I think of diving a spot I can go back and see if it was a good dive and worth it.

You know what they say, the old memory is the first thing to go. :smt119

2nd thing is the hair.
I also keep track of equipment costs, performance and any other info related to writing about it later. When traveling I keep a running list of costs including diving costs, accommodation, airfare, general costs, etc. Recently, I've begun to keep notes on new(ish) divers I take diving. So that later I can point out to them how much they've improved, what affected consumption, etc. Maciek knows that I was always a note-taking junkie in college. I guess it translates to dive logging too :book:

When trying to find a consistent dive log to use, I realized that they all suck (the paper ones) so I designed one of my own in Adobe Illustrator. I just printed a bunch more on card stock and I've been keeping them in my car to give to other divers, so next time let me know and I'll kick down the goods. :axe:
thelawgoddess wrote::book: my total so far is 8 dives for 266 minutes. :smt038
W00t!!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hoo, boy. I stopped logging after 8 dives when I got a computer. Then I got another computer. I just started collating the computer logs onto paper, and it's a chore. I've got somewhere around 60 dives in since March...
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."