Feeler: X-Scooter for sale?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Feeler: X-Scooter for sale?

Post by dsteding »

I'm kicking around the idea of selling my Sierra to buy a Cuda. Two batteries (both are in great shape), the usual scratches on the body, but otherwise in great shape. Standard spares kit, one charger.

Never flooded, and I'll do an annual service on it before selling.

Retail on all of the above is ~$4300, I'd let it go for $3200.

PM me, I don't need to sell it, just kicking around the idea.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Feeler: X-Scooter for sale?

Post by Sounder »

Here I figured you'd become a 2-scooter household. :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote:Here I figured you'd become a 2-scooter household. :prayer:
Two scooter household=single Doug, I think.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:
Sounder wrote:Here I figured you'd become a 2-scooter household. :prayer:
Two scooter household=single Doug, I think.
Sounds like what you should REALLY be doing is selling the X and buying a ring instead of a Cuda. :smt064
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Just remember this Doug.

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission" \:D/
Got Water?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Greg is a wise man. Redundancy is a huge principle in diving as is bring the right tool for the job. Having one of each does exactly this!

Damn, now I'm thinking I should buy your X in addition to my Cuda... Bob, can I come stay at your house while I beg for forgiveness from Erica? It should only take a week or two.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I had an interesting conversation with Matt this afternoon about the Cuda. There's one sitting in the shop. I lifted it; it's about as heavy as a 130 (which matches the numbers they publish). It's at least a foot and a half longer than the Sierra.

Both Matt and I feel that the Sierra is on the ragged edge of, "Too much of a bother to take on this dive". I know for me, the Cuda would just diminish my interest in taking a scooter diving. Not only is it heavier, but with its greater length, it's going to be less agile for the kind of fun we have with the scooters.

I wouldn't sell your Sierra. Unless you're planning on doing VERY high current deep dives in the Sound, the Sierra will do what you want, and match your buddies' scooters, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

LCF wrote:I had an interesting conversation with Matt this afternoon about the Cuda. There's one sitting in the shop. I lifted it; it's about as heavy as a 130 (which matches the numbers they publish). It's at least a foot and a half longer than the Sierra.

Both Matt and I feel that the Sierra is on the ragged edge of, "Too much of a bother to take on this dive". I know for me, the Cuda would just diminish my interest in taking a scooter diving. Not only is it heavier, but with its greater length, it's going to be less agile for the kind of fun we have with the scooters.

I wouldn't sell your Sierra. Unless you're planning on doing VERY high current deep dives in the Sound, the Sierra will do what you want, and match your buddies' scooters, too.
That's what I have been saying the whole time, I'm glad someone finally agrees, and I never even say the new Cuda. It just made sense it wouldn't be as agile as the sierra, faster is not always better. I need a scooter but am leaning toward a gavin because of price only.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Maverick wrote: That's what I have been saying the whole time, I'm glad someone finally agrees, and I never even say the new Cuda. It just made sense it wouldn't be as agile as the sierra, faster is not always better. I need a scooter but am leaning toward a gavin because of price only.
When I was up in Muk at the factory, Ben even said the same thing to me. The 'Cuda has an expedition purpose to its design, cool engineering w.r.t. its efficiency, and a definite place in the market, but the Sierra's still in production for a reason. They're really targeted towardes two somewhat different, albeit overlapping segments of a pretty small niche market to begin with.

Sure, I'd love the extra burn time and higher top speed, but the reality is that with the Sierra, I can get suited up, put on the rebreather, grab the Sierra in one hand with a slung 40 in the other, and make it to the water in a single load. The 15 additional pounds of the 'cuda would kill that for me. I even did it with a pair of doubles this weekend...backbreaking, but doable in a single load, way the heck out at the Oil Docks at low tide.

Reality, though, doesn't squish my daydreams. I fantisize about diving with two scooters, at the same time....besides, it's not how fast it thrusts, it's how you _move_ with it. \:D/
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Maverick wrote:
LCF wrote: It just made sense it wouldn't be as agile as the sierra, faster is not always better. I need a scooter but am leaning toward a gavin because of price only.
I'm toying with the Cuda not because of the speed, but because of the range, but I may end up just getting a long body for my current X.

As for a Gavin versus an X, this is a well-debated topic, but remember that the Gavin has a serious weight disadvantage, which is what Lynne was really getting at. You'll save money on a Gavin (and it is a good scooter) but it weighs twice what a Sierra does, and also weighs 20 pounds more (for the smallest SLA model) than a Cuda.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yeah the weight doesn't really bother me, i am 225, and can handle it. what i like is that fact that its cheap to repair and buy. for shore diving it would be two loads to the beach, but boat diving its two loads to the boat anyway, so no thing. and on a boat if i am diving i am not safetying so i don't have to lift it :boxing:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Since I've got the option, I'm opting for the extended range of the Cuda. I like having that option, and the extra 15lbs doesn't bother me either. Additionally, I've heard credible rumors of an after-market li-ion battery option to come for the Cuda... crazy-long burntime, crazy-fast power (if needed), and it'll all be wrapped up in a package close to size and weight of a standard Sierra.

I'm also prone to excess, so the Cuda is right up my alley. :dontknow:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Just remember, all you Cuda droolers, that a lot of us have Sierras, so unless you form a micro-clique to dive with each other, you're going to have to rein those things in, and not make use of the extended range all that much!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Just remember, all you Cuda droolers, that a lot of us have Sierras, so unless you form a micro-clique to dive with each other, you're going to have to rein those things in, and not make use of the extended range all that much!
A Sierra in 5th-gear is plenty fast to keep a boy happy, and he REALLY looks forward to piloting HIS OWN scooter next to his beloved friends... but then he'll still have the Cuda-WOW when he wants it.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I think everyone with x-scooters should upgrade to the cuda, then all of us without any form of transportation can go dive with you and use your sierra. :smt038
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
Sounder wrote: I'm also prone to excess, so the Cuda is right up my alley. :dontknow:
I think that's the most understated understatement I've ever heard :evil4:
You just have "light-envy."

Folks, there is at least one X-Scooter Sierra for sale for $3200!! This is a deal. If you're interested in an x-scooter, you can't do better than this... cheaper than a Gavin!!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

mancub wrote:I think everyone with x-scooters should upgrade to the cuda, then all of us without any form of transportation can go dive with you and use your sierra. :smt038
Best statement on this thread so far. :supz:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I have a sierra and a CUDA in my living room and it is by NO means a foot an a half longer. Not sure what measuring tape you were using ;)

Sierra: 26.5 inches
CUDA: 34 inches

Difference in length - 7.5

Weight is coming in just under 50lbs last time I put it on a scale (about 5 min ago).

The Sierra is not meant to replace the CUDA.

Have you ridden one? It still turns on a dime thanks to Ben's outstanding balancing, though the added power makes it 'feel' less nimble. The LiIon prototype I've been riding turns faster than you want a scooter that can travel at those speeds to be able to, but still tracks wonderfully.

For me (not much bigger than you lynne, last time i checked) the difference between a sierra (or LiIon CUDA) and a standard CUDA is being able to get it up on my shoulder when I'm in doubles.

I have done several sites in the past month or so where I was quite happy to have the extra "giddyup" that the CUDA provides. It is also amazingly cool to get places much faster :)
LCF wrote:I had an interesting conversation with Matt this afternoon about the Cuda. There's one sitting in the shop. I lifted it; it's about as heavy as a 130 (which matches the numbers they publish). It's at least a foot and a half longer than the Sierra.

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

LCF wrote: I wouldn't sell your Sierra. Unless you're planning on doing VERY high current deep dives in the Sound, the Sierra will do what you want, and match your buddies' scooters, too.
Doesn't have to be a deep dive.

You can get ~2 kt currents at 40 feet where the 'cuda will still be doing >50 fpm while a gavin or sierra would be just about dead in the water. If you want to go exploring at dive sites where people haven't been before and you don't have current predictions, then it can be very handy to have as much speed in your back pocket as you can get.

Plus the faster you are going when you execute a barrel roll that ends up in the silt, the funnier it is...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

[good-natured cuda sarcasm]
I say just skip the cuda and jump straight to an old WWII German G7e or US Navy Mark 18 torpedo (they're pretty much the same). 75kw motor (about 100hp), only 21 inches in diameter, and runs on cheap lead-acid batteries. Range is 2.27 miles at 29 knots. Doing loops will be a little tough though. They're 21ft long. #-o I'm sure if you converted it to lithium batts you could chop at least 10 feet off the length though. :evil4: (I'm just teasing! All in fun. All in fun)
[/good-natured cuda sarcasm]

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

airsix, when you gonna come take her for a spin?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

airsix wrote:Range is 2.27 miles at 29 knots.
you'd have to tune your regs down quite a bit for that or you'd get a seriously nasty free flow...

cinch up your mask strap a bit as well...
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

ljjames wrote:I have a sierra and a CUDA in my living room and it is by NO means a foot an a half longer. Not sure what measuring tape you were using ;)
Yeah can you tell me because if it adds 5 inches to all measurements I will have a lot more bragging rights when I'm drinking beer.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Good point, lamont.
Also, an upgrade to the tow strap and attachment points are required. Here is a picture of two divers preparing the tow-chain and shackle assembly for a recent test run. The test diver was concerned that the crotch strap might fail. It didn't, which in and of itself gave rise to... um... complications. However, the surgeons assure us that he WILL walk again. Eventually. :pale:

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

lamont wrote:
airsix wrote:Range is 2.27 miles at 29 knots.
you'd have to tune your regs down quite a bit for that or you'd get a seriously nasty free flow...

cinch up your mask strap a bit as well...
Probably ought to zip-tie that p-valve on too. :dontknow: