Underwater housing makers...is one more reliable than other?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Underwater housing makers...is one more reliable than other?

Post by babs13 »

Eg is Fantasea more reliable than let's say Ikelite or Canon?

Looking for a uw housing for canon rebel xt or aka 350D.

:book:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Underwater housing makers...is one more reliable than other?

Post by Dmitchell »

Depends on what you are doing with it and how high quality of pictures you want. Yes, there is a difference in the controls, the feel and the quality of the dome not to mention the sealing. If I'm not mistaken, you have to re-gear the housing depending on which lens you are using.

The 350D at this point you should be able to pickup some reasonable deals on a housing. Check Backscatter and see what they have.

Dave
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I don't know Fantasea as far as SLR housings go but I know the Ikelite housings are darn near bullet prof. I have had several problems with Canon housings leaking but my Ikelite housing has never leaked. Of course you will pay more for that quality.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

babs13 wrote:Eg is Fantasea more reliable than let's say Ikelite or Canon?

Looking for a uw housing for canon rebel xt or aka 350D.

:book:
I've been pleased with both the Canon housing and the Ikelite housing I've owned. You won't find a cheapo Canon housing for that camera unfortunately - you're going to have to look into one of the higher-end housings. Ikelite probably offers the most affordable housing for your camera, and I think their products are excellent and their service is just as good. I don't really see any justification for paying Sea&Sea or Aquatica prices. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your photos.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

i have a canon one for point and shoot...works well.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.