Is Scuba an Extreme Sport?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Is Scuba an Extreme Sport?

Post by Pez7378 »

Jabberjaw wrote:Pez, Dude. Shell is not a dude. :violent1:
Pez7378 wrote:Shell, dude, the avatar rocks!
I know that dude. But I can still call her dude! Besides, I have to say "dude" to sound like a surfer dude when I was saying that her avatar rocks!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

mz53480 wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:....I realize that Scuba does not require a whole lot of athleticism, but it does require a fair amount of skill, It is most definately has a "high level of inherent danger" and requires "highly specialized gear". So what are your thoughts....
If....we could compare scuba diving to being an astronaut and spacewalking (in relation to the environment that requires specialized life support equipment), then are astronauts considered 'athletes' or is spacewalking a 'sport'?
What is the life insurance $ for an astronaut?

MZ
:fish:
I would have to say, based on what I know about Astronaut training, that YES they are in fact athletes. Now as far as what they do, being a sport, NO. It's their job. Just like being a commercial diver is not a sport but an occupation. As far as I'm concerned, both are not sports, but definately they are extreme occupations.
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Word! Yes, her avatar does in deed rock. :supz:
Pez7378 wrote:
Jabberjaw wrote:Pez, Dude. Shell is not a dude. :violent1:
Pez7378 wrote:Shell, dude, the avatar rocks!
I know that dude. But I can still call her dude! Besides, I have to say "dude" to sound like a surfer dude when I was saying that her avatar rocks!
Got Water?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just to argue the other side... If it's their job, then is NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, or NFL Football a sport? The athlete argument sticks, but the "it's their job" argument becomes shakey.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:Just to argue the other side... If it's their job, then is NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, or NFL Football a sport? The athlete argument sticks, but the "it's their job" argument becomes shakey.
Good point. But this is a "discussion". Not an argument. :smt064
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

The definitions of "sport", and "extreme sport" are getting mixed up here. I think we need definitions that are clear and easy to understand and that we all agree on. This said I suggest a sport could be simply defined as an active past time or recreation, but is often defined by a set of governing rules. The first definition clearly would work with scuba, the one about having governing rules is a different conversation all together. So I am going to say yes I think it is a sport. Then as we all know an EXTREME sport is a sport that one can do while "Doing the Dew", and although I have never had a Mountain Dew while diving we all know that it could be done so I have come to the conclusion that Scuba is an extreme sport....

now "Do the Dew"
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

To me when something is called an extreme sport it's because a traditional sport is taken to the extreme.

Extreme sports on TV for example are motorcycle riding, bike riding, snowboarding, etc. taken to the extreme.

Motorcycle riding isn't an extreme sport until you go up a ramp and do a loop.

Scuba diving can be an extreme sport if you do it to the extreme but most don't.
Last edited by gcbryan on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

gcbryan wrote:To me when something is called an extreme sport it's because a traditional sport is taken to the extreme.

Extreme sports on TV for example of motorcycle riding, bike riding, snowboarding, etc. taken to the extreme.

Scuba diving can be an extreme sport if you do it to the extreme but most don't.
I'm sorry, but that answer is way too carefully reasoned and sensible for this board.... :evil4: :smt064
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

scottsax wrote:
gcbryan wrote:To me when something is called an extreme sport it's because a traditional sport is taken to the extreme.

Extreme sports on TV for example of motorcycle riding, bike riding, snowboarding, etc. taken to the extreme.

I'm sorry, but that answer is way too carefully reasoned and sensible for this board.... :evil4: :smt064
You're right. What I meant to say was Scuba Rocks! and it's way out there man! Of course it's extreme. :supz:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

scottsax's avitar ROCKS!!!
:laughing3:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:BTW - several life insurance quotes questioned me about scuba diving, but none of them ever mentioned paintball.
And the funny thing is the LESS you dive, the happier those life insurance companies are and the lower your quotes. 6x year vacation diver they are cool with. Tell them 100 dives a year and they freak.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:BTW - several life insurance quotes questioned me about scuba diving, but none of them ever mentioned paintball.
And the funny thing is the LESS you dive, the happier those life insurance companies are and the lower your quotes. 6x year vacation diver they are cool with. Tell them 100 dives a year and they freak.
Yup - Mrs. Sounder and I had that same discussion when we got ours. Crazy - I train my ass off to have skills far beyond the capabilities of the typical "vacation diver," and I get nailed for it.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Not sure where you buy insurance - I have never been asked about SCUBA diving when I've filled out my insurance paperwork. However, my orthopedic surgeon considered SCUBA an extreme sport!

On another note - who cares if SCUBA is considered an extreme sport or not?? Can't we all just get along and blow bubbles together?!? And so far no bottle caps have been abused in this forum - yet!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I believe the correct definition is:

If Red Bull doesn't sponsor it then it's not an extreme sport :occasion5:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I believe the correct definition is:

so flugtag = extreme sport. :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:I believe the correct definition is:

so flugtag = extreme sport. :supz:
It absolutely is!! The RedBull soapbox derby is too!
bnboly wrote:

Not sure where you buy insurance - I have never been asked about SCUBA diving when I've filled out my insurance paperwork. However, my orthopedic surgeon considered SCUBA an extreme sport!
Oh, it's a common question. Are you a pilot? Do you skydive? Do you scuba dive? Do you rock climb? There are many of them. Usually it's a paragraph asking if you do any of the following activities, or if you plan to in the next ___ years.

Met Life, USAA, and several other life insurance companies all asked about it. I think it's pretty common. :dontknow:
RedOne
Just Settling In

Post by RedOne »

Scuba Diving is sport.
from Webster dictionary: physical activity engaged in for pleasure
Scuba diving is extreme when:
from Webster dictionary: sport that involves an unusually high degree of physical risk
it is questionable in my opinion, because anytime you go into unfriendly (like no air!) environment to perform physical activity I would say it is extreme.
It is funny that when I search for sport in Webster dictionary first things that pop up is: a source of diversion followed up by sexual play and than physical activity come third.
They got their priorities straight.
Sea.Explorer
Just Settling In

Post by Sea.Explorer »

I don't think any activity with air consumption rates less than 1cf/min can count as a sport much less an extreme sport.
-Ryan
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

I don't think its extreme or a sport, I tend to think of it as a hobby, my orthopedic surgeon tells me its great exercise.
I find it kind of peculiar that of all the things one could do for recreation, currently I only know of 2 that require some kind of certification, SCUBA diving and Sky diving. So are these really trained skills, rather than recreations/sports whatever you want to call them?
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mongodives wrote:I find it kind of peculiar that of all the things one could do for recreation, currently I only know of 2 that require some kind of certification, SCUBA diving and Sky diving.
flying and motorcycle riding are two more...
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Oh the things you make us all think about when we got enough going thru our minds. I guess what crossed my mind just now, is scuba diving and Olympic Event?? So I dont think it is a sport, cause I call it my THERAPY from the outside world around us. No matter what, I know I WILL enjoy what I am doing when scuba diving. I have met alot of different people and so far I have not met one diver that I did not like. SOOOOOOOOOO let them say what they want all I say is let's go diving and leave them all behind watching our bubbles. :bootyshake:
Jeff Castor
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

flying and motorcycles, got me there. I also consider those skills not recreations eventhough they can and are for so many people.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I believe any activity that has life threatening or life ending consequences if something goes wrong can be considered extreme...however i believe for it to be considered a sport, competition must be involved.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jaksonbrown wrote:I believe any activity that has life threatening or life ending consequences if something goes wrong can be considered extreme...however i believe for it to be considered a sport, competition must be involved.

So, driving on the freeway is "extreme" then. I'm not buying it. I say, like many other things, it's a sliding scale. It depends.

1)Dave Shaw attempts a body recovery at 867' in Bushmansgat on a CCR? Extreme.

2)Any random diver staps on a pink AL 80 and goes for a splishy-splash dive in warm clear tropical water, max depth 30'? Not so much.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Joshua Smith wrote:
So, driving on the freeway is "extreme" then. I'm not buying it. I say, like many other things, it's a sliding scale. It depends.
Have you seen out highways recently!? \:D/