Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Re: Mukilteo Lighthouse Park - NO diving?

Post by Peter Guy »

I'm assuming that no one on this board:

a. Lives in Mukilteo (i.e., is a constituent of the City); nor

b. Knows any of the City Council members or the Parks Commission members.

PLEASE, if I am wrong here, shout it out.

My opinion, for what little value it may have, is that the best chance of reversing/modifying this rule, is to talk with the City Staff who wrote the rules (as proposed) and find out the "why's and wherefore's" of it.

Who knows -- perhaps the best result that can be hoped for is the same one used by the City of Edmonds regarding scooters in the Park there -- that is, See No Evil, Hear No Evil and do Nuttin' about it!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Peter Guy wrote:
Who knows -- perhaps the best result that can be hoped for is the same one used by the City of Edmonds regarding scooters in the Park there -- that is, See No Evil, Hear No Evil and do Nuttin' about it!
That's pretty much the way it's been since august when the rule changed. I have yet to see (not saying it's not there) any posted notice that there is no shore diving allowed. I think that's why so many people were taken by surprise at this.

I'm still hoping that something can be worked out with the city on the matter though.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

:dontknow: Um...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

For what's it worth (not much) I know that in the past I believe there was a rule posted there about the park closing at sundown or something like that. The problem there has always been with drunk teenagers.

If you weren't a drunk teenager and were in the parking lot unloading dive gear at dusk and the police came by they always said something like oh you're divers or simply hello and there was no problem. The police at that particular site have always been even friendlier than at any other site that I know of.

Not a solution but cooperation is definitely the way to go here. It would be extremely unfortunate through dive-ins to alienate the police when they are currently or at least in the past absolutely not a problem.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Ok, I know I'm probably going to regret this but here goes anyway.
Was down at the beach last weekend and saw divers coming and going (NO I wasn't diving just having a cup of joe on the beach). Nobody was being hassled it was a nice day.
So if this is not being enforced maybe the best course here is to just let sleeping dogs lie.
Just my .02.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

rjw wrote:Ok, I know I'm probably going to regret this but here goes anyway.
Was down at the beach last weekend and saw divers coming and going (NO I wasn't diving just having a cup of joe on the beach). Nobody was being hassled it was a nice day.
So if this is not being enforced maybe the best course here is to just let sleeping dogs lie.
Just my .02.
Normally I would agree with you, except that of late local municipalities seem to be wanting to flex some muscle. See threads on scooters at EUP and diving at 100' rock. I think if there is any hope to get this rule reversed action should be taken sooner rather than later. It's not the same as those two sites where the rule and/or law has been in place for a long time, since this is the result of a rule change, I hope there may be a way to get it changed back. We'll see.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

One thing we should all remember it that you rarely get a second chance to make a good first impression and that is especially true with politicians. If we (scuba divers) as a group can make a good impression I think that the city council may work with us and I think that is what some of you have been saying. Once we have exhausted all peaceful means trying to work with them then we still have the option of a protest. A protest is like a nuclear missile once it's launched you can't recall it. But if you decide to make a protest it better be a big one (with media coverage) because you probably won't get to try a second one. I know it is trite but give peace a chance. Just my opinion.

P.S. this could turn out to be like the old rule when this was a state park about no night diving. We used to night dive at the state park all the time and when the police came by they waved or asked us what we were doing then told us to have a good time and left. I think that this could happen at the city park and is happening so if we don't make a big deal about it then maybe they won't either.
Last edited by Rockfish on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

This is nuts, can someone post the other contact info so we can flood the city with phone calls, letters, and email? Also when is the next councle meeting? Something needs to be done.

I guess this answers my question as to why they didn't install a rinse station....
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

TCWestby wrote:This is nuts, can someone post the other contact info so we can flood the city with phone calls, letters, and email? Also when is the next councle meeting? Something needs to be done.
um, did you read this whole thread or just the first post?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Prayer, the Girl Smiley wrote: :prayer: Please make it stop. I can't stop crying.
Sorry I got a little wound up in this thread and others over the past few days. It's gone too far when the smileys start crying. I hope we're all still friends at the end of the day. We can't afford to splinter.

Respectfully,
Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Spatman,

I did see the date of the hearing but I'd still like to get the contact info. I plan on coming to the meeting and supporting the speakers. I also agree the "Dive in" needs to wait till other methods fail, but if and when that is nesessary I'll be there bad back and all.

I sure hope that we can get them to change their minds and realize that though the park and the dock are close there are totally different conditions and critters.

I know I dive mukilteo alot mainly due to it's convenience for a quick splash. There aren't alot of quickie sites in the north end any more. We all need to keep cool heads and play by the rules, if possible.
Looking for dive buddies

Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Several people have called the Park a State Park -- which perhaps it was and then given to the City. If anyone knows when it became a City park, as opposed to being a State Park, perhaps someone could then look up the conditions of the transfer to the City.

It is possible there are some clauses relating to shore access that would be pertinent.

Anyone with easy access to City or State files?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Peter Guy wrote:Several people have called the Park a State Park -- which perhaps it was and then given to the City. If anyone knows when it became a City park, as opposed to being a State Park, perhaps someone could then look up the conditions of the transfer to the City.

It is possible there are some clauses relating to shore access that would be pertinent.

Anyone with easy access to City or State files?
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Mukilteo State Park is an unofficial state park that encompasses the lighthouse at the west end of the city of Mukilteo, Washington and 14.4 acres (0.058 km2) south of it. The property is west and south of the Washington State Ferries terminal with ferry service to Whidbey Island and is crossed by the Burlington Northern Mainline. The island, which is easily visible from the shore, lies across a narrow portion of Possession Sound.

This park is now known as Mukilteo Lighthouse Park. The former Washington State Park was deeded to the City in 2003. In 2004, the City adopted a Lighthouse Park Master Plan to make physical improvements to the approximately site. Phase I of the Plan is scheduled to begin in October 2007.
Mukilteo State Park has about 1,500 feet (460 m) of sandy beach and includes a public boat launch, lighthouse and dock. This is one of the most easily accessed shorelines in urban Snohomish County.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:Courtesy of Wikipedia

Mukilteo State Park is an unofficial state park that encompasses the lighthouse at the west end of the city of Mukilteo, Washington and 14.4 acres (0.058 km2) south of it. The property is west and south of the Washington State Ferries terminal with ferry service to Whidbey Island and is crossed by the Burlington Northern Mainline. The island, which is easily visible from the shore, lies across a narrow portion of Possession Sound.

This park is now known as Mukilteo Lighthouse Park. The former Washington State Park was deeded to the City in 2003. In 2004, the City adopted a Lighthouse Park Master Plan to make physical improvements to the approximately site. Phase I of the Plan is scheduled to begin in October 2007.
Mukilteo State Park has about 1,500 feet (460 m) of sandy beach and includes a public boat launch, lighthouse and dock. This is one of the most easily accessed shorelines in urban Snohomish County.

Cool. Pez found all that on Wikipedia. Here's what I found in Steding's link:

The following information in plans, records, and reports obtained by state and local agencies from dairies, animal feeding operations, and concentrated animal feeding operations, not required to apply for a national pollutant discharge elimination system permit is disclosable only in ranges that provide meaningful information to the public while ensuring confidentiality of business information regarding: (1) Number of animals; (2) volume of livestock nutrients generated; (3) number of acres covered by the plan or used for land application of livestock nutrients; (4) livestock nutrients transferred to other persons; and (5) crop yields. The department of agriculture shall adopt rules to implement this section in consultation with affected state and local agencies.

I like Wikipedia better.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Well you're not gonna like this.....

I think I have some bad news. I've been reading some of the comments from 2004. Mukilteo has such grand plans for the Lighthouse City Park, that they intend to buy up and remove existing businesses to make way for parking.

Bob Mophet, the owner of the Diamond Knot Brewery states in one of his comments, that the city did not even contact local business owners regarding the Park Plans. He did say however that the landlord of the building, will not sell.

I can dive somewhere else, but where will I drink Beer in Mukilteo? :dontknow: :occasion5: :dontknow:

I think the city could care less if we have a brew at the DK after we "illegally" dive the Park.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The owners of DKB have purchased a second property just up the hill. Lincoln ave. Same beer, pizza and calzones. Really good, I recommend it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79

RCW 79A.05.180
Exchange of state land by commission — Public notice — News release — Hearing — Procedure.

Before the director of parks and recreation presents a proposed exchange to the parks and recreation commission involving an exchange of state land pursuant to this chapter, the director shall hold a public hearing on the proposal in the county where the state lands or the greatest proportion thereof is located. Ten days but not more than twenty-five days prior to such hearing, the director shall publish a paid public notice of reasonable size in display advertising form, setting forth the date, time, and place of the hearing, at least once in one or more daily newspapers of general circulation in the county and at least once in one or more weekly newspapers circulated in the area where the state owned land is located. A news release pertaining to the hearing shall be disseminated among printed and electronic media in the area where the state land is located. The public notice and news release also shall identify lands involved in the proposed exchange and describe the purposes of the exchange and proposed use of the lands involved. A summary of the testimony presented at the hearings shall be prepared for the commission's consideration when reviewing the director's exchange proposal. If there is a failure to substantially comply with the procedures set forth in this section, then the exchange agreement shall be subject to being declared invalid by a court. Any such suit must be brought within one year from the date of the exchange agreement.

[1998 c 42 § 2; 1975 1st ex.s. c 107 § 1. Formerly RCW 43.51.215.]

Notes:
Exchange of land under control of department of natural resources, procedure: RCW 79.17.050.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Well, the next City Councel meeting is 3/2/09 at 7:00 PM.

I would assume that someone would need to get this onto the agenda does anyone know how to do that? I'd be willing to come in support of the speakers, I' a bad public speaker, but 3:45 AM comes awful early to waste time at a meeting that won't air our grevances.

Any body have any ideas?
Looking for dive buddies

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

TC,

I believe Sounder is attempting to get us on the agenda.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Great, it would be worth the loss of sleep, how about a dive after. Oh yeh, work the next day....
Looking for dive buddies

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

(I apologize for losing my temper regarding this subject earlier)

There are several things in the works with several people working from different angles.

If we can get on the agenda for the Counsil meeting, we'll have a rockstar crew of speakers and hopefully a stong supportive showing.

We're in the information gathering phase right now, and will know more soon.

To be clear, I'm not representing anyone but myself - I'm just helping coordinate things so we don't like a disorganized mess. We get one chance to "introduce ourselves" so we need to put our best foot forward.

I hope to have more information soon and if anyone else learns something helpful, please let the rest of everyone know.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Anybody get a response from the city? I got nothin' so far.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Give it some time. I personally don't feel that we're being "ignored" at this point. I left a phone message on Friday for Mayor Marine, and when I got in to work this morning I played my messages and he had, in fact, returned my call on Friday , but a few minutes after I had left to go home. I tried calling him back today and once again left a message on his answering machine....we are playing phone tag at this point, but he certainly DID return my call, and the message that he left me was quite polite and professional. He is NOT a full-time Mayor....he runs his own business....and is NOT at City Hall all day long like "big-city" mayors are.

I also mailed Mayor Marine a letter detailing my views on Friday. Since they do not work on weekends, and yesterday was a Holiday, he should receive it today.

I think that if we are able to get time on the agenda at the next City Council meeting we have a great chance of being heard and maybe changing some minds. I do not know how much time we will be allowed, but I intend to politely air my views to the city council and do my best to get them to re-think things.

I was certified 33 years ago and among my first dives after certification was Mukilteo Beach. Since then I have literally hundreds of dives there. The clay walls are, without question, among my favorite shore dives in the State and I have a significant emotional attachment to them. Additionally, many of my tech training dives with Jerome were done there at the park since the bottom slopes off into the depths so perfectly.

We simply cannot lose this site without making the best effort that we can.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote:(I apologize for losing my temper regarding this subject earlier)

There are several things in the works with several people working from different angles.

If we can get on the agenda for the Counsil meeting, we'll have a rockstar crew of speakers and hopefully a stong supportive showing.

We're in the information gathering phase right now, and will know more soon.

To be clear, I'm not representing anyone but myself - I'm just helping coordinate things so we don't like a disorganized mess. We get one chance to "introduce ourselves" so we need to put our best foot forward.

I hope to have more information soon and if anyone else learns something helpful, please let the rest of everyone know.
If I may (speaking as an individual, not professionally--but with a fair amount of experience with these things--I've been to ~30 council meetings over the past year or so).

Be professional, including things like spelling council:)

Start at the bottom--find out the why's. You aren't going to get much by ambushing the city council at a meeting.

You don't have "one chance" to introduce yourselves, unless you are speaking as one group. If so, you'll be asked to designate one person to give the views of the group. If you are representing yourself, as Sounder seems to be, then you can talk in turn.

Most councilmeetings have a time for open public comment, in my personal (not professional) opinion, you won't get there if you show up whining about things without first working with city staff.
Last edited by dsteding on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.