Shadow Divers

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Shadow Divers

Post by Sounder »

I know many (if not most) of you have read this book... I just picked it up on a business trip, after remembering Nailer's recommendation, and I simply can't put it down.

Perhaps I'm way behind the curve here, but I had to post something. Anyway, if you haven't read this book yet, you really should check it out. Good stuff!!! :book:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Yep, its a good read.. I cant wait till the movie comes out (sometime in 2007).. Thats what I read anyway.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

A movie?! I was just thinking that it would make a great movie!
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

A movie of the book does sound interesting. To whet people's appetites though...Nova did a documentary on the investigation into identifying the sub. There is video footage shot by the divers on the submarine. And lots of interviews with the main guys trying to figure it all out. The film is called Hitler's Lost Sub. I do believe its available from Amazon, or any of those type of places.

Nick
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Yes, it was Nova that did the documentary. I ordered the video and watched it once, and I let someone borrow it. and guess what, I didnt get it back :crybaby:!! Still it was great and it brought John Chatterton and Richy Collar to fame. "Via Deep Sea Detectives".A good read is, The Last Dive, By Bernie choudery. It is about the "Rouses" a father and son dive team. They wound up losing there lives during an exploration dive trying to solve the mystery about the "U-WHO"
Who run barter town?
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I met Robert Kurson a few years ago when he was in town promoting "Shadow Divers". He is a nice man and we communicate via email once in a while. He is an amazing storyteller. He cannot swim at all, let alone dive. His descriptions all come from multiple interviews with John, Richie and others involved with finding out the story regarding U-869.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

It's a great read, I couldn't put it down either.

-Valerie
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I loaned my copy out, and it hasn't made its way back to me yet ... it's on it's fourth reader since then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

U-869?! #-o YOU RUINED IT!!!

Ok, so I looked at the pictures in the back of the book first and figured it was U-869 because they were showing all the officers and some crew all labled with that identification. :book:

It's a great story and I'm going to check out the other titles noted here... any other great recommendations for video or book?

PS: "Into the Blue" - fun story, great looking women wearing "not much," VERY questionable diving practices (or some down-right stupid), and a couple shameless Halycon plugs.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Oh yeah - "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" ... one of those movies that leaves you wondering if you'll ever get that 1.5 hours of your life back. Later it grows on you... "Do interns get Glocks?" "No, they all have to share one."

What is the DIR procedure for carrying a Glock underwater anyway? :toimonster:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:
any other great recommendations for video or book?
Sheck Exley's "Caverns Measureless to Man" is a great read too.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Shadow Diver is an amazing read... drama, mystery, "humans", cool diving, you'll get sweaty palms from reading about diving to 200 plus ft. on just air. The descriptions of narcosis and more are just spellbinding.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Sounder wrote:PS: "Into the Blue" - fun story, great looking women wearing "not much," VERY questionable diving practices (or some down-right stupid), and a couple shameless Halycon plugs.
And a couple lucky bastages got to grope Alba =D>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Damn! I didn't realize they were on plain air!!! :smt051 They didn't go into the mix and their description of being narced :smt119 is intense (the drums) but I thought they were diving a mix! I also haven't heard anything about stage bottles - a couple mentions of a pony but that's it.

It begins in August/September 1991 - was nobody mixing gasses in '91? If not, when did mixed gasses emerge? Any dive-history scholars know? :book: :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Damn! I didn't realize they were on plain air!!!
Near the middle / end of the book a couple of divers show up using tri-mix, which the deep divers of the time call "voodoo gas". Very interesting...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I ordered the DVD from Amazon - it should be here soon. Once I watch it, folk's are welcome to borrow it... but I DO want it back!!! :axe:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It finally arrived and I watched the Nova DVD "Hitler's Lost Sub" - WOW! What a great documentary! It was the perfect blend of history and diving. I'm going to watch it again to make sure I caught everything. Very cool overall, but the scene showing how the bent diver couldn't move his legs and was being moved around by guys on deck was troubling and hard to watch. It's short and not very graphic, but still bothersome.

I give the program an A+ and recommend people watch it. Mine is available to borrow but, as mentioned before, I DO want it back!!! I haven't finished the book yet, and I don't think this will ruin it (I already turned to the back looking at the pictures), but if you're reading or planning to read the book and don't want to spoil the ending, wait on the Nova program.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Trimix didn't get much recreational use at all until the late '80s. Its still voodoo gas in many minds, just look at the DSAT curriculum. 2 deco mixes with their potential switch mixups are ok for intro tech divers but a clear head isn't? (The Rouses knew how to dive helium mixes but chose air because it was less expensive.)

The Glock goes on the waist, just next to the knife. :-)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"Do interns each get Glocks?" "No, they all share one!" What a great movie! I need a red cap.