Diving Vancouver Island on the Nautilus Explorer

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Diving Vancouver Island on the Nautilus Explorer

Post by BillZ »

The dive shop I frequent had a last minute cancelation for a trip on the Nautilus Explorer and since my regular buddy as well as a bunch of other friends will be on the boat I decided on a whim to take the spot. I've never done a liveaboard or really dove much off VI and was wondering if some folks in the club could provide some insight and advice.

Thanks!

Bill
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Diving Vancouver Island on the Nautilus Explorer

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Be prepared to be spoiled!! Not only will the diving be spectacular, but the crew will treat you like royalty. The food is outstanding, and they have "pre-breakfast" before breakfast. What a concept!

You will not regret that you snapped up the spot! I'm envious!
Jenn
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

You'll love it. Mike Lever runs a top notch operation, and the boat would be hard pressed to be any better for the diving.

First bit of advice - be prepared to gain five pounds... the food is usually really good, and they ply you with fresh baked goodies a lot. Mike also stocks a very fine selection of beer, and, if I know the people going, it's tradition to try to drink him completely out of his favorite one or two :)

Vancouver Island dives are pretty short, due to the ripping currents - each dive will have a time limit, and you need to adhere to them pretty strictly for your own safety. If you can convince them, push very hard to dive Tremble Rock / Nakwakto Rapids. It'll be a ~20 minute dive, if you can find a slack, but it has to be one of the most amazing dive sites out there. Water's two to three degrees (F) colder than here, usually much clearer, and the life is much more abundant. Other good Inside Passage spots to hit, if you can - Browning Wall, Dillon Rock, and Seven Tree Island. All will leave you breathless.

Otherwise, figure on about three dives per day, an amazing amount of spectacular scenery, a crew that will go out of their way to help you, and a really good time.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Bill ... I take it the Nautilus will be doing the dive sites north of Port Hardy?

If so, be prepared to run out of superlatives like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" upon descending ... that place is like nothing I've ever dived before ... even Komodo's best walls couldn't surpass it for sheer abundance of life and color.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Camerone and I were on a Nautilus trip together a couple of years ago, traveling from Vancouver to Port Hardy and back. It is a class operation and they will truely spoil you above and below water. You'll also see lots of wildlife topside, Orcas, eagles, bears, etc.

I only recall a single 20 minute dive, everything else was about 60 minutes. If you do get to do the Nakwakto dive it will be an experience to remember. Very pretty creatures!

I'm doing the Nautilus June 1-10th trip this summer that circles the entire island. I see they only have three charters in Canada remaining this year. Which one are you joining??

Nautilus Dive Gallery:

Nakwakto Barnicles:
camerone wrote:You'll love it. Mike Lever runs a top notch operation, and the boat would be hard pressed to be any better for the diving.

First bit of advice - be prepared to gain five pounds... the food is usually really good, and they ply you with fresh baked goodies a lot. Mike also stocks a very fine selection of beer, and, if I know the people going, it's tradition to try to drink him completely out of his favorite one or two :)

Vancouver Island dives are pretty short, due to the ripping currents - each dive will have a time limit, and you need to adhere to them pretty strictly for your own safety. If you can convince them, push very hard to dive Tremble Rock / Nakwakto Rapids. It'll be a ~20 minute dive, if you can find a slack, but it has to be one of the most amazing dive sites out there. Water's two to three degrees (F) colder than here, usually much clearer, and the life is much more abundant. Other good Inside Passage spots to hit, if you can - Browning Wall, Dillon Rock, and Seven Tree Island. All will leave you breathless.

Otherwise, figure on about three dives per day, an amazing amount of spectacular scenery, a crew that will go out of their way to help you, and a really good time.
Dave
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

DLH

Your pictures have got me really excited!! I too am on the June 1st trip. If you have any tips on what to bring, let me know.

Bric
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Spares! This trip will have 8 or 9 diving days in PNW waters. Anything you can't dive without and might get lost or broken is good to have extras of. Bring spare batteries for your dive computer, dry gloves, neck seals, camera gear, etc. Also you might want some good ear plugs as the boat motors at night and some rooms are louder than others. Most other stuff will be available on the boat, and they'll take good care of you.

Dave

blackwater wrote:DLH

Your pictures have got me really excited!! I too am on the June 1st trip. If you have any tips on what to bring, let me know.

Bric
Dave