Free Gas Planning and Management Discussion

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Free Gas Planning and Management Discussion

Post by BDub »

I posted this inside another related thread and it was suggested that I start a new thread so more people can see it.

I'll be giving a free gas planning and management presentation at Northwest Sports Divers Wednesday April 8th.

Discussion topics will include:

- Determining your consumption rate
- Calculating and using Rock Bottom or “minimum gas”
- Creating a gas plan
- How to easily convert from volume to pressure and pressure to volume for all tank sizes
- Determining and using tank factors
- Managing the gas plan

Focus of the discussion will be on recreational gas planning and management. However, technical gas planning and management will be covered if participants wish to discuss it.

PM me for more details or if you're interested in attending.

Thanks

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Free Gas Planning and Management Discussion

Post by Sounder »

:goodpost:

Folks, these free seminars offered by BDub, vbcoachchris, and Grateful Diver are EXCELLENT!!! I believe everyone should know this stuff and it's being offered here again, free!! This information will change the way you approach dive planning and help you understand the "how" behind the rules you were taught to follow in your training.

Seriously, if you can make this class, please do. This is invaluable information and BDub is an excellent instructor. It is worth taking the night off from work, canceling other plans, and/or getting a baby sitter for.

Thank you BDub for offering yet another great class for divers of ALL levels!! :thankyouyellow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I'm sorry BW... but Spatman's making it tough not to hijack this thread... blame him.. he's a mod.

Oh and yeah... go to this class. You're learn bunches. Bring the teacher white wine spritzers instead of an apple. Works every time.
seal.gif
seal.gif (10.2 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:Oh and yeah... go to this class. You're learn bunches. Bring the teacher white wine spritzers instead of an apple. Works every time.
brian learned to enjoy wine spritzers and champale while teaching here:

sockmonkeyschool.gif
sockmonkeyschool.gif (19.81 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Oh and yeah... go to this class. You're learn bunches. Bring the teacher white wine spritzers instead of an apple. Works every time.
brian learned to enjoy wine spritzers and champale while teaching here:

sockmonkeyschool.gif
I'm proud to say that I've never (as much as I can remember at least) had a wine spritzer!

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

BDub wrote:I'm proud to say that I've never (as much as I can remember at least) had a wine spritzer!
Oh yeah I forgot... you're a zima guy.

But zeriously folks... take this class... it'll change the way you think about diving.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

I'm jealous of all the great classes you guys seem to have going on up in Washington. This looks really interesting, but it is just to far to drive for me, especially on a weekday. Thanks to BDub providing everyone some great training, please let me know if you ever decide to do any classes in Oregon, I would love to attend.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Aaron,

Grateful Diver (Bob) came to Vancouver Washington recently and gave a gas management seminar that was a great success and I missed it because that was a weekend I was up north diving. However, Talking to vbcoachchris (Chris) at Redondo this weekend he said he may be willing to hold some seminars for us Oregon and SW Washington divers in the future. So there is hope and we are not forgotten.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

Let's set something up. I teach high school by day, so can do almost any day in the summer, but I can do a weekend before then if there is enough interest. I could do a gas and dive planning workshop one day and a decompression workshop the other. We should start a new thread about this.

Scott
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sweet, thanks Scott!! I know more Oregon folks would really enjoy and benefit from having a class. Seven Seas Scuba hosted last time - I bet they'd do it again and I'm sure Janna and Nicole would help too!

Regarding Brian's thread (the upcoming gas management class)... seriously folks, please go to this class. Even if you've been to one before, you'll likely catch something new. Different instructors teaching the same material provide it in different ways. This is a SERIOUSLY well-worth-it class to attend. Please do whatever you can to make it.

Thank you again to Brian for putting this one on and special thanks to NWSD for hosting it!! WOOT!! :metal:

Also special thanks to BDub, vbcoachchris, and Grateful Diver for putting these free seminars together and offering them to the diving public. These three guys are creating safer divers with every class they offer. HUGE thanks to all three of you. :mmmbeer:
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Wow thanks Scott, that sounds great! :). I will keep an eye out for the discussion thread. As for the days / times, I am open to whatever works best for you. I live about 90 minutes south of Portland, but I have some work hour flexibility, so I can arrange to leave early on the class days if needed. If we did it on a weekend my personal preference would be to run both classes on the same day to save me driving up twice :P, but I will go along with whatever works for your schedule and the others attending. Thank you again for taking the time to do this :).
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Just a reminder this is tomorrow evening at 6pm at NWSD. To date, I have 10 confirmed with another 4 or 5 possible.

If you're interested, or haven't confirmed, please pm me. We can take about 16 or 17.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote: If you're interested, or haven't confirmed, please pm me. We can take about 16 or 17.
Does that include water dogs?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:
BDub wrote: If you're interested, or haven't confirmed, please pm me. We can take about 16 or 17.
Does that include water dogs?
Yes, that includes the water dogs

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Is Matt still offering a 25% discount for all attendees? I'll buy a scooter............. :metal:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pez7378 wrote:Is Matt still offering a 25% discount for all attendees? I'll buy a scooter............. :metal:
Only for attendees who can do the math :slap:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

I like free stuff, when is the class?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Stu wrote:I like free stuff, when is the class?
BDub wrote:I'll be giving a free gas planning and management presentation at Northwest Sports Divers Wednesday April 8th.
BDub wrote:Just a reminder this is tomorrow evening at 6pm at NWSD. To date, I have 10 confirmed with another 4 or 5 possible.

If you're interested, or haven't confirmed, please pm me. We can take about 16 or 17.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

You wouldn't need gas if you could do this.....amazing!

http://www.verticalblue.net/freediving_gallery.php#
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

spatman wrote:
Stu wrote:I like free stuff, when is the class?
BDub wrote:I'll be giving a free gas planning and management presentation at Northwest Sports Divers Wednesday April 8th.
BDub wrote:Just a reminder this is tomorrow evening at 6pm at NWSD. To date, I have 10 confirmed with another 4 or 5 possible.

Sorry the only part i read was 'free'
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

I literally couldn't watch this video all the way through, it made me so nervous and uncomfortable.

But, what I did see was amazing. On the brief moments when my brain wasn't screaming "DON'T DIE!', I thought "Wow, that's gorgeous! He's just beautiful."

And then I started gasping for air because I realized I was holding my breath on his behalf.
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Jenbowes wrote:

I literally couldn't watch this video all the way through, it made me so nervous and uncomfortable.

But, what I did see was amazing. On the brief moments when my brain wasn't screaming "DON'T DIE!', I thought "Wow, that's gorgeous! He's just beautiful."

And then I started gasping for air because I realized I was holding my breath on his behalf.
How is that remotely possible?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:Is Matt still offering a 25% discount for all attendees? I'll buy a scooter............. :metal:
Only for attendees who can do the math :slap:
I'll bring my calculator! But remember, it only rounds down.

So, who's going to this? We need a plan. Is there going to be Pizza and the "Soft" drinks? I've got to drop off some tanks, so if there's going to be food, I might just stick around!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Jenbowes wrote:

How is that remotely possible?
There is an invitational free diving competition going on right now in the Bahamas. The Founder/CTO of Liquivison, Eric Fattah, is going for a new record.

For the rest of us, gas management is the best alternative... this is a fantastic class and WELL worth the evening.