Info On Neah Bay

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Info On Neah Bay

Post by pensacoladiver »

With the weather finally turning nice, I am looking to get out to Neah Bay to hunt for some tasty, tasty rockfish. It's a shame I have to go that far, but it is what it is.

I have never been there and if anyone has info on good dive sites, dive shops for tank refills, boat launches, lodging (camping, decent hotel, etc...), I would greatly appreciate the info.

Likewise, if anyone is interested in heading that way to dive... theres room on the boat.

Chad
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Info On Neah Bay

Post by pensacoladiver »

Scubagirl45 wrote:First of all - Neah Bay has some awesome diving! I was fortunate enough to dive up there last fall. I'm pretty sure the only place worth staying and the only place to get fills is Curly's Resort (the term "resort" is used loosely here, this place is not 5-star). The fog socked us in most days, and we didn't get to dive a whole lot, so I hope the weather cooperates for you. There's not much to do there except dive, but the diving is great!! I wasn't in charge of navigation, so I can't give you any recommendations on dive sites. We didn't really dive any of the really well-known sites. Have fun! :supz:

THANKS!!! "Not 5-Star" is EXACTLY what I am looking for. :-) I can't be pampered too much or I will get spoiled.

I tried to look Curly's up on Yahoo but got no results. You wouldn't happen to have any contact info (phone, website) would you.

I did find some fishing articles talking about pulling in 2-4 pound sea bass as fast as they could get them in the boat. I am ready to skip out of work this week and head there right now. :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

What is a "sea bass"??

http://www.curleysresort.com/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, if you're going to Curley's, it's in Sekiu ... not Neah Bay ... and there's a place to launch your boat right across the street.

The rocks just west of the jetty are also a spectactular dive site ... one of my favorite shore dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:What is a "sea bass"??

http://www.curleysresort.com/
From what I have researched, Black Rockfish are sometimes called Sea Bass.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Chad,

I would like to join you for the weekend. What weekend are you going? We would stay at snow creek when I have gone in the past. They do fills and have cabins.
Attachments
IMG_3767.jpg
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Scott,

Good to see you are in! I want to go ASAP, BUT I am going to Reno Apr 19th thru 25th for a conference. Then a week after I get back, I am off to Rongelop Atoll for a week long fishing trip. :boucegreen: I get back from that around May 15th. I am game anytime after that.

I have checked out the Snow Creek website and looks like they are good to go.

I have also been reading that there is some good shore diving out there. I am not opposed to driving out there early Saturday for a couple of tanks and then coming home the same day. Momma should be up for that too. Hmm, might have to talk her into that this weekend!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

If you don't mind another I have some open days in May.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Come on!!! Would be great to have you join us again. I already have several "for sures" and a few "maybes". We can dive 4 out of the boat. But if I get a bigger following, I am not opposed to making "shuttle runs" to dive. Most everyhting looks like it is only a few miles away from the Marina anyways.

Putting the plans together now to head out to Neah Bay Saturday for some shore diving. Called Curleys Resort today for some info (thanks for the Website CaptnJack). They told me to swing in Saturday morning and they would give me the gouge on where to shore dive at Neah.

So far for that I have 1 "for sure" and a "maybe". Probably going to take 2 vehicles with room for more folks. Any takers? Bueller? Bueller?? Bueller???
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Whew Neah bay is a serious drive for me. I may have to wait until May and make a weekend out of it. Looks like fun though, from what I have read.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Yes, long drive here too. We plan on catching the fisrt ferry from Keystone and will probably catch the last one back from Pt Townsend.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Here is a picture from my last trip to Neah Bay.
Attachments
IMG_1607.jpg
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

There are a goodly number of black rockfish still, but the numbers of Tiger, China and Canary are way way way down from just a few years ago.

Tiger and China live up to 115 and 75 years respectively, with slow reproduction to match. Please focus on the blacks and let the few other rockfish species you encounter live to breed another year.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Well, not too much to worry about with ANY rockfish. Shore diving there was pretty anti-climatic. The deepest we got was 20 feet. Going to post the report now.