DIY thread

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY thread

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Ok I HAVE to ask. How is this a major improvement over using a plastic cup to dump some hot water from your cooler over your head?

I submit into evidence exibit A: :neener:
Attachments
complicated.JPG
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Ok I HAVE to ask. How is this a major improvement over using a plastic cup to dump some hot water from your cooler over your head?

I submit into evidence exibit A: :neener:
You don't have to repeatedly dip your cup. :)
Sean
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You really have to ask that?....I assume it was a setup for your cartoon. With five gallons of water you can completely rinse your gear after every dive. It would save me from doing it when I get home thats for sure...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey! It's creating new toys for show and tell! :neener: :neener: Besides giving our grey matter something to do on these dreary gray days. :bow: :bow:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I can think of a better use of time and money
:occasion5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUWCLBKK3E
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Gear washdown is my key motivation. Washing gear back home is a PITA and is my least favoret part of diving.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Scuba Scott wrote:Gear washdown is my key motivation. Washing gear back home is a PITA and is my least favoret part of diving.
I agree. I have to haul it through the house and the wife doesn't like it. If I can get most of it rinsed off before heading home it will make everyone there happy.
Sean
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I can think of a better use of time and money
:occasion5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUWCLBKK3E
awesome. :thumbsup:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

If I ever move from sedan to SUV I was thinking of putting a low profile tank on the roof-rack and using gravity feed to operate a shower on a wand for rinsing. I think the benefits of heating are not worth the added complexity. As long as it doesn't freeze.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
divemaster08
Avid Diver

Post by divemaster08 »

i chose to hard wire the positive lead to the battery of my truck with an in-line fuse. ran the wire along frame to rear of tailgate. up through taillight assembly into the truck bed. use splice to ground on one of tail lights. hook up a togle switch with disconnects to pump wires coming through lid of cooler. thus eliminating the need for a long cig lighter chord. the hole i drilled is at the highest part onthe side of the cooler. i used a thru-hull with a o-ring for it to seal.
Tomorrow is the best time saver of today…
divemaster08
Avid Diver

Post by divemaster08 »

[quote="Mattleycrue76"]Ok I HAVE to ask. How is this a major improvement over using a plastic cup to dump some hot water from your cooler over your head?

It is much more efficient than dumping a cup of water. Fifteen minutes run time for approximately 8 gallons.
Tomorrow is the best time saver of today…
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Very nice. Have you thought about getting a black lid with a heat sink on the inside that you can use in sunlight conditions to solar heat your water while you're in the drink. 0]

D(B)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Nice. All in one contained unit.
Sean
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

ROFL!

Is that a vent cap on the back!?!?!? Awesome!!!

D(B)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Its the plug !!Baby.. All my lights have them.. Easy access to the batteries
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

H20doctor wrote:Its the plug !!Baby.. All my lights have them.. Easy access to the batteries
Dude, that is awesome!

I was looking at those the other day, thinking to myself, "That would be funny to have that hanging off the back of a can."

Well done, sir!

D(B)
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I got tired of my Zeagle BC riding up, especially when my suit compresses so I made a crotch strap last night. I figured a d-ring on my ass might be useful too. I was a little surprised when I realized that the fitting on the back of the BC was for 1.5" webbing rather than 2" so I had to hunt a little bit for hardware. The snazzy orange webbing and plastic slides came from Seattle Fabrics, the 1 3/4" SS d-rng came from Fisheries Supply. A couple of minutes with the sewing machine and I had a loop to run the front waist strap through.
Crotch Strap added to Zeagle Tech.
Crotch Strap added to Zeagle Tech.
While I was at Fisheries I picked up a few plastic knobs to add glove friendly zipper pulls to my BC pockets.
New zipper pull with ball
New zipper pull with ball
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

H20doctor wrote:...snip....

Just spent 3 days building this light for Mr. sheahan, what a pain in the :angry: ... 2 inches in Diam, has a 3 Hr burn, 700 lumens with 8 deg optics.. with a custom chrome and black paint job... still have to put the switch guard on it ...
You know, it is my birthday on Mon... >0]

Great Job bro, as always your lights are pretty bad@$$!

D(B)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Eddie VanHalen wants his canister back. :supz: (looks cool, Chris)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Thanks guys ... I put a lot of sweat , and Hours into lights.. I think Ben knows what it takes to custom make sumthn.. Ie knifes.. And the craftmanship shows when its done right.. DB I have not forgotten about you, you will have one soon.. Very soon
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Nice! If I had only known you could get custom paint jobs... :D
Sean
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

H20doctor wrote:Thanks guys ... I put a lot of sweat , and Hours into lights.. I think Ben knows what it takes to custom make sumthn.. Ie knifes.. And the craftmanship shows when its done right.. DB I have not forgotten about you, you will have one soon.. Very soon
Excellent, Smithers...Excellent!

D(B)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Custom paint job? And here I was, wondering why on earth you would need duct tape all over a Delrin canister . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames