Noob in Salem

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
eejay56
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Noob in Salem

Post by eejay56 »

Hi All,
My wife and I just took a vacation to Cozumel and snorkeled every day and loved it. One day we decided to do a resort dive at Chankanaab National Park and we had the time of our lives. Now we want to get our OW certification and dive as much as possible before we go back to Cozumel next year. Any recommendations for instructors in the Salem area? We are leaning towards Hydrosports because it's close and they have a 2 for 1 deal.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: Noob in Salem

Post by guitarmaker »

Welcome to the board from another "Salem-ite"; there are several of us on here.
I've taken my classes and purchased most of my gear from Salem Scuba and highly recommend them. Keep me posted on your certification as there are quite a bunch from Salem that make frequent trips to the sound or coast.

Again, welcome! :partydance:
Cheers!

Ron
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board!

I don't have any recommendations but we do have a large contingent of Oregonians so hopefully you will find a good place for instruction.

Diving in the Pacific NW is quite different but also quite rewarding. I'm glad you're willing to take the plunge - good luck, and let's go diving when you get certified!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Diving in general is amazing, and you'll love our PNW coldwater diving. Jump in, go for it, rent gear a few times and listen for what others are using.

Hopefully you'll be having diving adventures for many years to come!

Welcome to NWDC....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
eejay56
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by eejay56 »

I'm really looking forward to exploring what the PNW has to offer. We definitely plan to rent gear at least until we have enough experience to know what we are looking for and how often we are going to be going. We've spent a lot of time camping, crabbing, clamming, and oystering at Hood Canal and am looking forward to seeing it below the surface. Our daughter is in college in Seattle and my aunt lives in West Seattle so we are up there a lot and plan to dive in the Sound too.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Whoo hoo!
Welcome to the club!

Maybe you'll join me on a "Thursday Dive" in the South Puget Sound area!
I'll show you two a couple of favorite shore dives around here. Little to no current, little to no surge and as of lately...little to no visibility. But we still have fun! Vis will get better, soon!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

I personally feel that after diving The Big Island of Hawaii, Monterey and the Oregon/northern California Coast tha we have it going on here. The vis can get bad sometimes and it's fairly cold if you're diving wetsuit but the undersea terrain and wildlife is almost as good here as at Monterey and totally blows Hawaii away.

So welcome to some of the most interesting diving around and have a ball!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome guys, Puget sound's the place and since you come up this way allot you should just slide right in with the crowd. Most of the Oregon bunch hang out up here as much as they can so come on in the waters fine! Next time you come up to the hood stop in at Hoodsport and dive and chat with the guys there. They can point you in the right direction as to the hood canal dive spots.