Do you use a Panasonic Lumix?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Do you use a Panasonic Lumix?

Post by Tubesnout23 »

I am wondering how many people here use a Panasonic Lumix and what they think of it....
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Do you use a Panasonic Lumix?

Post by ljjames »

i think that is the camera my business partner Heleen just got a few months ago for a point and shoot... I was very impressed with it actually...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Tubesnout23 wrote:I am wondering how many people here use a Panasonic Lumix and what they think of it....
It gives very nice images, but the controls aren't as well laid out as most Canons. That's my experience with students who've had them.
Dan Hershman :smt024
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

The soon to be wife has one and she likes it.

It wasn't bought as a dive camera, but after she bought it we looked for housings and choices were limited.

steve
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

4ster wrote:The soon to be wife has one and she likes it.

It wasn't bought as a dive camera, but after she bought it we looked for housings and choices were limited.

steve
Does she like how it takes macro pictures? I have read that some people who bought this camera were not happy with the quality of these images.

What appeals to me most is the fact that takes HD video clips and, from what I have understood, it has a sensor that reads dark and light areas differently so you don't end up with the shadows being well exposed and the area in bright light being washed out. This is a constant problem with the Canon Powershot A570 and S90.

I saw some videos taken with this camera and they were incredibly sharp. However none of them was taken underwater. So I am wondering how well the camera performs in that environment. It may be a good camera for 'land use' only...

Betty
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I am a big Lumix fan. I have two, but they are not current models (one is a few years old, the other is just over one year old). I've loved them for their wide angle lens, and crisp photos when in good lighting.

They do poorly in low light without flash, in my opinion. On land and in water. =-)

I have the older of the two in a Panasonic marine case that I use for underwater playing. No strobe, just the standard setup. Works really well, I've been very happy with the photos I've taken with macro mode and force flash on. The controls seem easy to access for me; I've cranked down the exposure a time or two for certain shots, or fiddled with the flash, etc.

If you do get a Lumix, get a new model and immediately get the marine case for it. Panasonic is the only maker (so no Ikelight options) and you will find that they discontinue the cases very shortly after the release of the new camera model. I was lucky to get mine off of a Craigslist posting from New Jersey; some guy happened to be given one as a gift some time ago, it was the wrong model, so he never used it. SCORE.

I am but a baby diver, and a barely nascent underwater photogtrapher. =-) But here are some examples of shots:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 5e756b4af8
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 02c45023f1
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... e71a3a9a89

Talking to someone who probably knows a thing or two, his opinion was that with a strobe, this unit would keep me happy for quite some time.

Give it a try, they are cheap! =-)
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Completely not even the same but I love the g11 if theyvcame out with an g12 with Hd recording I would buy it :joshsmith:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It depends on which Lumix. The LX-5 looks to be a very good camera. If it were pocketable I would have gotten it over the Canon S95 (which is already close to being too big).
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Tangfish wrote:It depends on which Lumix. The LX-5 looks to be a very good camera. If it were pocketable I would have gotten it over the Canon S95 (which is already close to being too big).
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ 'family'...However, after reading more about it I am less convinced that this is the right way to go. Ideally I would like to have a proper HD video camera and a good still camera. (I looked at the Bonica and watched some underwater videos and they were pretty disappointing). I am far from making a decision. What really annoys me about the digital point and shoot cameras are those bisillion features that I don't care for....
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tubesnout23 wrote:
Tangfish wrote:It depends on which Lumix. The LX-5 looks to be a very good camera. If it were pocketable I would have gotten it over the Canon S95 (which is already close to being too big).
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ 'family'...However, after reading more about it I am less convinced that this is the right way to go. Ideally I would like to have a proper HD video camera and a good still camera. (I looked at the Bonica and watched some underwater videos and they were pretty disappointing). I am far from making a decision. What really annoys me about the digital point and shoot cameras are those bisillion features that I don't care for....
Get the LX5. I haven't read a bad review on it yet. It has stereo when your shooting video and can zoom and auto focus.
It's 100.00 more than the S95 and the housing (when it comes out) will set you back about 700.00.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Now I am seriously considering to buy a proper HD video camera instead of a point and shoot that is a mish-mash of both worlds (still and video)...
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I just purchased the Canon SD4500 IS. It has some cool options like burst photo, slow motion video, and has a true HD 1080 video, and 10X optical zoom. I hope they come out with a housing soon. The only concern I have now is the battery life. The battery is half the size of my G10.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

IMG_0091.JPG
Here is a shot I took the first day. I also like the fact that the camera has a separate video button so I can jump from still shots to video and back again with a push of a button.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Don't know about the Lumix for underwater photography, as I've yet to dabble in getting any shots while I'm diving, but I used to have a Lumix as my day to day camera and it was fantastic. That was a few years back though, and I'm not really sure where they've gone with that line of cameras. It seems to me like a lot of people favor the Canon's. I've currently got a Powershot SX110 and it is AWESOME. Does everything in about ten different ways (okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, maybe closer to 5. Lol.)
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Dashrynn wrote:Completely not even the same but I love the g11 if theyvcame out with an g12 with Hd recording I would buy it :joshsmith:
In case you were not being ironic:
http://gizmodo.com/5637343/canon-g12-a- ... s-hd-video

Everyone I've met using a G series camera underwater has been very happy with it. It would be a good camera to consider.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

4ster wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Completely not even the same but I love the g11 if theyvcame out with an g12 with Hd recording I would buy it :joshsmith:

Everyone I've met using a G series camera underwater has been very happy with it. It would be a good camera to consider.
Uauh! That's very tempting...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Tubesnout23 wrote:
4ster wrote:

Uauh! That's very tempting...
After i posted, it was brought to my attention about the g12...Dang...might need to dig into the funds hahahahaha