Driftwood 11-1, or, SONUFABITCH THAT HURTS

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Driftwood 11-1, or, SONUFABITCH THAT HURTS

Post by Blaiz »

Tonight I went to Driftwood with one of my recently-arrived-in-town buddies. We suited up and got into the water. While setting up and making sure the camera was good to go, I noticed, and mentioned, that there were chunks of lion's mane jelly floating about us. I had a spot of spit still inside my mask, but decided the risk of jelly tentacles wasn't worth a second rinse. We got everything in order, stuck in regs and prepared to drop. Yes. Right after I stuck my reg in my mouth, it became crystal-clear that a crystal-clear tentacle of jellyfish had wrapped around the mouthpiece, and I had now placed this tentacle in contact with my lip, inside my lip, and it was coating my lower front gums. It didn't hurt THAT much, so we went ahead with the dive.

We got down to about 60 feet, and found that there was no current. At all. I was pretty boggled by this phenomenon, but it was fun to be able to cruise about as we wished, rather than be cruised as usual. There were octopi all over the place. We easily saw 18 or more different ones. My buddy shined his lights on two different ones, then while I was swimming to have a peek, I found a third.
2010_1101cameranew0027 (Medium).JPG
By this point, my lip was starting to burn, badly. I kept pulling it down to let some cold water in to soothe it. I considered calling the dive, but figured that I was here already. Somewhere around this point is where I became aware that a tentacle had made its way inside my hood and was wrapped around my right ear. Great.

My buddy found the largest white-lined dirona that I've ever seen. It was while processing it that I discovered it apparently has a hitchhiker. Gross. Do dironas grow more feathers as they age or something?
2010_1101cameranew0051 (Medium).JPG
My lip had responded a bit to the cold water I kept washing inside it, and my face had, for the most part, gone numb by the time I found this little fish. I *think* it's a gunnel of some sort, but it looks a little off, too.
2010_1101cameranew0063 (Medium).JPG
Near the tire piles were several sleeping rockfish. Only they weren't sleeping. They would be still, then in a flurry, they would dart about and bite at each other, kicking up lots of silt while doing so. It was almost like watching a blender pulse, with that kind of activity; still, then action, then still. My buddy on the surface commented that he was nearly getting antsy, wondering exactly what was in the water around us to cause such odd behaviour.

I chuckled at an octopus huddled against the flat end of the jar. I'm not sure whether he was trying to get in and hide from us, or whether he was just chillin out back of his home, but I thought it was a cute scene.
2010_1101cameranew0073 (Medium).JPG
After we ended the dive there was a fairly decent surf. I managed to make it out of the water before overbalancing and crashing to the ground. I was frustrated since my quickly-thawing face began to renew its protest of nematocysts, but I couldn't get my camera off me with my gloves on. I ended up dropping my weights and fins on the beach to stagger to the car, where I divested myself of camera, hood, and mask as quickly as possible. It was definately a scary experience, since I was feeling like I couldn't get a full breath with the hood on while being so distracted by my face. Luckily once the hood was gone, I felt much better. I whined and bitched and moaned and discovered several new spots where I had been stung. I certainly did not feel sorry for the jelly this starfish was snacking on. A very hot shower when I got home took most of the sting out, and I'm feeling better now, but this is an experience I don't really care to repeat again. Now, how to make sure I never get a tentacle wrapped in my reg again?
2010_1101cameranew0008 (Medium).JPG
Thanks Karl for a good, octopus-filled dive. I'm glad you're home!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
kagey747
Avid Diver

Re: Driftwood 11-1, or, SONUFABITCH THAT HURTS

Post by kagey747 »

Thanks for the dive and pics. I really enjoyed getting back in the water with you. I feel bad now , though, because I wasn't aware HOW bad you were hurtin during the dive. Definitely couldn't tell by your voracious appetite for octo and fishie pics. Glad the sting settled down after you got home, I didn't think you'd appreciate an application of an on-site, old school remedy. As always, great diving with you.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great report and pictures , sorry about the sting, been there, but not as bad as you describe. Maybe facial hair protected me from your fate ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

YAY! I'm not the only one who has been stung by a Lion's Mane INSIDE my mouth! There's two of us now! YAY!

In all seriousness, I know your pain, and yeah, you're right--sonufabitch that hurts! YOWCH!
Jenn
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'd say you're pretty stoic -- when my very confident and experienced tech diving buddy got stung in the face, he whirled around and called the dive!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The only sure way I know to keep it from happening again is the unacceptable way: stay out of the water. Not gonna happen, so there it is.

Your gunnel is a slender cockscomb, by the way. And the little curlicue on the dirona looks kinda like poop.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

kagey747 wrote: I didn't think you'd appreciate an application of an on-site, old school remedy. As always, great diving with you.
Haha. Crazy old man.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
kagey747 wrote: I didn't think you'd appreciate an application of an on-site, old school remedy. As always, great diving with you.
Haha. Crazy old man.
R Kelly style? Great report as usual, and sorry for your pain. I avoid lions mane at all costs, but they are fun to watch.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

there even better to video... sounds like you got your first taste of a sting.. OUCH !!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

H20doctor wrote:sounds like you got your first taste of a sting.. OUCH !!

first taste yes not the scubanoms i'd prefer :neener:
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Another reason I like my full face mask. My dive buddy got it twice the same weekend in the face, didn't see them until it was too late, got stung across the face. Even as tough as my hands got in my commercial fishing days, cleaning the lines of them time after time, my hands burned bad by the end of the day.

On another note, I got one of those "and you thought you had a bad day" emails, wish I could find it
Apparenty this guy was doing deep dives working and in order to keep warm, they set it up so the heated water from the heat exchanger from the compressor that supplied him air went down a hose and into the back of his suit. Well one day, working away, he got a burning sensation on his backside and mainly his butt. Rubbing it and such obviously made it worse. He tried to finish his job, but it got the best of him, so however it all worked, he got in the decompression chamber, got out of his suit and a jellyfish had been sucked up in the water intake on the compressor and then pumped down to him and into his suit. I can't remember but after something like 8 hours of decompression, he was then finally able to get some medication for the stings and got it taken care of.
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great report Blaiz!
Yeah, I got stung by a Lions Mane, once.

Hope it never happens again!

It was fun reading how the sting slowly keeps getting worse.
A very good description.

You will have to learn the "Karate Chop" method from the school of scubamom! :boxer:

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: