Seriously Annoyed....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Geek
Pelagic

Seriously Annoyed....

Post by Geek »

So my dive buddy had to get his double's filled at another shop, they are faber hp100's, and have a 200bar XS scuba manifold on them.... so this shop only filled them to 3000psi because they said that is the max fill preasure for a 200bar din valve :angry:

I'm all for the little things that make shops differ in the NW but when I hear stupid things like this coming from a shop I get a little bent out of shape about it.... I'm not going to name them..... no matter how much I want too.... lets just say it wasn't the shop I go to and it's not in tacoma, but they sell tech gear :angelblue:

Anyone else ever had to deal with this kind of thing? :stir:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Seriously Annoyed....

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeesh where do they make this sheet up?

Why rant if you're not going to either: name them so we can avoid them or figure out a way to educamate them? :)
Last edited by CaptnJack on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

LMAO, Geek aren't you supposed to be working or is it a slow day? :penelope:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

CaptnJack wrote:Jeesh where do they make this sheet up?

Why rant if you're not going to either: name them so we can avoid them or figure out a way to educamate them? :)
One of the owners is on the board, I'm waiting for him to explain himself then it will become clear, as for naming the shop, I don't want to make the Mod's job any harder then I already do :rofl:

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

wait a sec... 200 bar valve...

200 bar = about 2900 psi.

the shop is actually correct in this instance. Regardless of the stamped pressure on the tank, the valve itself would be the limiting factor (from a liability standpoint for the dive shop) in that system.

I'm actually mildly impressed that they were aware enough to notice it was a 200bar vs a 300bar valve ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Geek wrote:

One of the owners is on the board, I'm waiting for him to explain himself then it will become clear, as for naming the shop, I don't want to make the Mod's job any harder then I already do :rofl:
Dont flatter yourself, we never see your fun posts anymore...did they threaten you or something?

:smt064
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:wait a sec... 200 bar valve...

200 bar = about 2900 psi.

the shop is actually correct in this instance. Regardless of the stamped pressure on the tank, the valve itself would be the limiting factor (from a liability standpoint for the dive shop) in that system.

I'm actually mildly impressed that they were aware enough to notice it was a 200bar vs a 300bar valve ;)
Another one caught.

200 vs. 300 bar are merely slang terms. Only the first few threads hold any pressure anyway. Depth of thread is irrelvant to pressure rating for the valve and merely to physically prevent 200 bar <regs> from being used on 300 bar valves.
More elaborate version: http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/valves.shtml
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Norris wrote:
Geek wrote:

Dont flatter yourself, we never see your fun posts anymore...did they threaten you or something?

Matt said he would take away my birthday and cancel Xmas on me :nutty:

citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Geek wrote:
Norris wrote:
Geek wrote:

Matt said he would take away my birthday and cancel Xmas on me :nutty:
I thought you were Buddhist?? So does canceling xmas even matter? :smt064
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote: 200 vs. 300 bar are merely slang terms. Only the first few threads hold any pressure anyway. Depth of thread is irrelvant to pressure rating for the valve and merely to physically prevent 200 bar <regs> from being used on 300 bar valves.
More elaborate version: http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/valves.shtml
True dat ... many high-pressure tanks (X8 Worthingtons, for example) come standard with 200 bar Thermo Pro valves ... these cylinders are rated at a working pressure of 3442 psi.

That said, a dive shop is free to establish any policy they choose to. Some, for example, require a banner on your cylinder before they'll fill it with nitrox, regardless of what the VIP sticker says. There's no "law" either requiring or preventing such a policy ... it's the shop's choice.

It would be a service to know, however, what shop policies are ... so as to allow divers to make more educated choices about what to expect from those businesses. I know I wouldn't be too happy taking my HP cylinders into a shop that refuses to give me a full fil, despite the fact that the tank has the valve that the manufacturer installed on it when it was new ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Ya, shops can do what they want, what they can't do is convince you that there BS is the truth, it's one thing to have a policy like this, it's another to believe it and defend the practice as truth..

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Geek wrote: ....I don't want to make the Mod's job any harder then I already do :rofl:

:notworthy: :luv: :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Geek wrote:Ya, shops can do what they want, what they can't do is convince you that there BS is the truth, it's one thing to have a policy like this, it's another to believe it and defend the practice as truth..
Being an essentially self-regulated industry, it's sometimes difficult to know what can be a liability ... and dive shop owners always have to cover their butts.

So I wouldn't be too hard on the shop owner ... he may feel that he's doing what he must to protect his business.

It's helpful, of course, if they make policies that are based on factual information ... but the reality is that there is a great deal of misinformation out there that's accepted as fact. For example, getting back to those banner stickers on nitrox tanks ... I once had a shop owner tell me that they're required by federal law, and that he could get in big trouble filling a tank with nitrox that didn't have one.

There is no such law ... even VIP stickers are not mandated by law, although they are a recognized industry standard. The only thing about your cylinders that is required by law is the five-year hydro (DOT requirement).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

so why didnt you go over to lighthouse or evergreen , there both 10 mins from there and have them topped off for free ? or call up scott christopher and see him ? if you were that chapped in your drysuit , a little 10 min drive could have solved the problem
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

H20doctor wrote:so why didnt you go over to lighthouse or evergreen , there both 10 mins from there and have them topped off for free ? or call up scott christopher and see him ? if you were that chapped in your drysuit , a little 10 min drive could have solved the problem
South sound, south of tacoma...

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Geek wrote:
H20doctor wrote:so why didnt you go over to lighthouse or evergreen , there both 10 mins from there and have them topped off for free ? or call up scott christopher and see him ? if you were that chapped in your drysuit , a little 10 min drive could have solved the problem
South sound, south of tacoma...
I'm sorry :penelope:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Oooooooooooh I see , you people in the south end, You people , Ha Ha HA HA HA... thats a ross Perot joke from In living color , jim carey did a great job of making fun of him...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Geek wrote:So my dive buddy had to get his double's filled at another shop, they are faber hp100's, and have a 200bar XS scuba manifold on them.... so this shop only filled them to 3000psi because they said that is the max fill preasure for a 200bar din valve :angry:

I'm all for the little things that make shops differ in the NW but when I hear stupid things like this coming from a shop I get a little bent out of shape about it.... I'm not going to name them..... no matter how much I want too.... lets just say it wasn't the shop I go to and it's not in tacoma, but they sell tech gear :angelblue:

did your buddy ever change the burst disks?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Geek wrote:So my dive buddy had to get his double's filled at another shop, they are faber hp100's, and have a 200bar XS scuba manifold on them.... so this shop only filled them to 3000psi because they said that is the max fill preasure for a 200bar din valve :angry:

did your buddy ever change the burst disks?
The valves where just rebuilt, so yes, the burst disks are of the required rating.......

You ever hear of such a thing Waynne? :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Time calm down folks...

Misunderstandings can be fixed
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

CaptnJack wrote:Misunderstandings can be fixed
Just because they can be fixed doesn't mean we actually want to fix them :stir: :stir: :stir: :)
Cynthia Heimel
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

citycatred wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Misunderstandings can be fixed
Just because they can be fixed doesn't mean we actually want to fix them :stir: :stir: :stir: :)
well, on this forum we do.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Geek wrote:The valves where just rebuilt, so yes, the burst disks are of the required rating.......

You ever hear of such a thing Waynne? :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064 :smt064
not if the disks were properly rated and the donuts were not in (I'd have refused to bump to 3500 without the right disks and would have removed the donuts to do it, if they were in AND the disks were right, after I fill em' and the customer wants to put the donuts back in.. I'm clear of any liabilty.... I think... after that)...
but to be honest I was thinkin it might have been here at the shop if it was on the day our newby was working ALONE :eek: LOL!

as an aside G... if it was here tell us so we can (as the Captn put it) edumacate the newb.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Yep, it was there, and I do appreciate the offer to "edumacate" the newb....... :)

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Geek wrote:Yep, it was there, and I do appreciate the offer to "edumacate" the newb....... :)
See, win win :)