No Good Deed...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

No Good Deed...

Post by ArcticDiver »

On the flight down here I was sitting in an exit row window seat. Everyone is asleep. I need to visit the lavatory. Like I've done hundreds of times before I started stepping over legs enroute to the aisle. Center seat OK. Aisle seat: As I stepped over his legs he moved them very rapidly and tripped me. I fell into the arm rest. Impact on my leg superior to the patella and with a downward angle.

OUCH!!!!

After I recovered from the nausea and realized I could hobble, hadn't peed myself and could handle the pain, I completed the original errand.

Afterward I have been left with intermittent pain, leg cramps and parathesia. Feel much better today but still symptoms. Feel confident all will be well in a few days. But for now needless to say no diving. So scrubbed for what is forecast to be the only good days in the next week, my visit.

Guess I need to get busy making some lemonade, eh?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: No Good Deed...

Post by ArcticDiver »

After some reflection; resolved there will be no more letting people sleep when getting to aisle. That good deed is likely to cost me. Although he never even said he was sorry who knows what was going through his mind. But, on the good side, I've never had time to explore this area so the trip is just reoriented, not a disaster.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

as one who occasionally reacts in my sleep: he may not even realize that he hurt you. i hope that is the case, and not that he did not apologize because he was he was an @$$. but as you said, it does give opportunity to explore topside. it may also have been the universe's way of letting you know that "maybe you shouldn't be diving this week". sucks but perhaps there is a purpose. whereabouts are you this week?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I worked at the Trout Lake ranger station one winter, and I had the job of getting a bunch of people out of bed. There was this one guy, who warned me to "stay out of range". Actually he told me to grab the foot of his cot and pick it up and dump him. EVERY TIME I woke him up he was swinging his fists until he realized where he was. Totally unintended reaction.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Oh he knew it alright. Not only was it hard to ignore the pain gasps from that guy hanging over his armrest, I looked him in the eye when I commented about the trip. Then he ignored me the rest of the trip. Not just the standard city ignore; but, Ignore.

I came down to Key Largo to dive for a week. We arrived in a cold, blowy rain. Forecast was for us to have 3 nice days before another cold front came through and temperatures went back down. I had hoped to get in at least a couple good diving days while the weather and water were decent. When it is cold it is more miserable than any PNY diving. I was here in March and dived in mid-50 to mid-60 degree air temps. Doable but definitely no fun in a wetsuit. The folks in the dive shop told me they are working half days so they can warm up in the hot tub.

With time to kill we've worked out way through the Everglades and Big Cyprus up the Gulf Coast to Tampa. Now we'll work our way across the State and back down to Miami.

Interesting you made a comment about a "message". It may seem strange to such a group of hard core divers. But, this has turned out to be a very good time for my wife and I; probably better than if I had done the planned trip.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Glad the trip still worked out for you two!
Something about Lemons and Lemonade?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

BASSMAN wrote:Glad the trip still worked out for you two!
Something about Lemons and Lemonade?
From the old saying about when life deals you lemons you can either be sour or make lemonade.

From kat:
"...it may also have been the universe's way of letting you know that "maybe you shouldn't be diving this week". sucks but perhaps there is a purpose. whereabouts are you this week?"

I think you are right on. From what has happened we are happy we decided not to pay the change fee and go home early and to do some driving and exploring instead. I won't bore y'all with the details but things are going well. Despite what we sometimes think there is much more to life than diving.

Maybe I need to change the title of this thread to "No good deed goes unrewarded no matter what happens in the meantime"