The Good the Bad and Ugly dives of Feb 2011

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Winter
Dive-aholic

The Good the Bad and Ugly dives of Feb 2011

Post by Winter »

Waynne, my regular db Phil and I dove Octohole on Monday. It was an awesome dive that was badly needed.....prior dives included:

Failure #1 What was supposed to be the Epic of all Epic dives: Bandito, Dalco Wall night dive! I was given shit for not wanting to go deeper than 130. I was paired with someone who said "130, awesome, I'll do that with you", but he failed to mention that a newb hoover would be in our team. I didn't know till I jumped off the boat! Newb is gone in the first 4 minutes of the dive....the rest of the dive I was worried about getting left myself, I got hella narc'd, had sling first stage issues...I went through a ton of air...back on the boat arguments ensue...not at me..The newb caused a short dive for two other divers that he met up with(fell on). It was just stressful, and that is why I stick with my regular buddies. I ended up going to 144, and my original buddy whos dive were cut short didn't even go to 130...ha! oh forgot to mentioned the dick I was paired with interrupted a mating pair of GPOs! :angry:

Epic Failure #2 at Lobstershop due to Phil's inflator sticking..ended up being a skills refresher dive. BUT lost Phil several times...kept surfacing and swimming towards bubbles...but I did manage to ditch and dawn my rig(although it was jacked up)
Epic Failure#3 Sund Rock S Wall with Waynne. Basically, Snot filling my nose, couldn't clear my mask, but some of that water makes its way up my nose! what the hell! I thought I could pinch it off...nope. Mask comes off, I hadn't clipped my light, the a slight "oh crap" moment when I realized what I had done. Waynne quickly came by and took my light and camera, good buddy! We slowly surface so I can clear my head of that goo. Waves were a rollin', that was actually quite fun. Weeeee
Epic Failure #4 Seals creeeepying me out at Alki, while Phil took a trillion frakin' pictures. Not understanding the "lets head on in" that I gave 4 times!..he thought I was tellin' him to take pictures of the seals..hmm but yet I was swimming the opposite direction of the seals. AND I distinctly remember telling him "lets be better buddies on this dive!" Any folk in the parking lot that evening might have seen the steam rolling from my ears, the profanity, and the angry lecture I gave him: "Way to be a fn bad buddy, DICK!" :angryfire: :zots: Silent treatment ensued for a while after that.
Failure #5 29 ft max dive off Ruston- Loose finstrap, current and bad viz bad vibes...Did score a good shot of a spinny lumpsucker tho

So my last good dives were in the Silo in Eastern, Wa on the 5th of Feb!
Yeay good times arrive again! 69 min night dive at the Octo hole 2-21-2011, yeah yeah saw some octos...ooh and a mossyheaded warbonnet, ooooooh and urchins, all in a row. Like 15 of them, way cooler than the octos! And A huge buffalo sculpin.
Weird thing were the few masses of Lingcod eggs, in the open, with no protection or shelter...it was really odd. Anyone know why they do that? Retardation?
Oh and FYI:
Waynne got me the halcyon LED which is BAD ASS!
I've ordered the Sealife DC1200, but am still waiting for it! Yeay, no more playskool 6 mega pixel camera held together with tape..I seriously can't wait!!!
I hope I get to see y'all at the club dive next weekend!!
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: The Good the Bad and Ugly dives of Feb 2011

Post by H20doctor »

Hmmm dalco wall is no good past 85 feet.. At least you didnt die during those crappy dives.. And you exp something blind people can't.. Sounds like they were all good dives to me..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

I'm constantly told of the Octo and wolfeels everyone finds at 150... 130 is my comfy go to max depth, I usually have no desire to go below that.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dalco Wall is a pretty advanced dive ... particularly at night and at 130 feet. With a new diver on the team I'd say it went much better than it could have.

The rest don't sound all that bad to me ... any dive you can get a shot of a PSL is a good dive, to my concern.

I hope you weren't on the wall at Lobstershop when you kept having to surface to look for your buddy ... :eek:

Trials and tribulations, mistakes and mishaps ... these things can happen to anybody. The key is to figure out why, and learn how to reduce their occurrance. Diving's more fun when things go right ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Winter wrote:I'm constantly told of the Octo and wolfeels everyone finds at 150... 130 is my comfy go to max depth, I usually have no desire to go below that.
Diving within your certification and training level is a good idea. They'll still be there in the future and there are much shallower places to see GPOs and Wolfeels.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My best octo encounter on Dalco happened at about 60 feet ... it remains, to this day, one of the top 10 octo encounters I've ever had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/