Need HID bulb protector for my light

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Need HID bulb protector for my light

Post by Diver_C »

Hi!

I cracked my bulb protector on my 35-w Salvo on that crazy Deception Pass dive last month, so I need a new one. I emailed Light Monkey, but have not received a response. Any suggestions on getting a new one? It looks like the lower part of a test tube. Thanks!

Rich
camerone
Submariner

Re: Need HID bulb protector for my light

Post by camerone »

BTW - order a spare when you do; I've cracked a few at inopportune moments.

One tip - if you go to West Marine, you can get these little cylindrical "dry box" type tubes. They're usually up by the checkout. They're plastic, rigid but very thin, with an o-ring, and they twist apart in the middle to open, separating into two halves. You'd put a key on the lanyard, stuff a few dollars inside it, and if it fell in the water, it'd float and keep your cash dry. It's just barely bigger than the test tube (same diameter, about an inch taller.) I don't know the actual name for these, but they're there each time I've been in.

Turns out it's the perfect size to hold one test tube, plus bulbs and an a set of o-rings. The rigid plastic keeps everything safe from cracking or chipping. I put a test tube inside, and then fill the test tube with a foam-packed spare HID bulb, and a set of o-rings for the light head and tube. It all just gets tossed in a save-a-dive kit, and I don't have to worry about the test tube banging against the crescent wrench or the six other parts that could smash it, and I don't have to worry about the spare test tube getting smashed.

It's like a mini-save-a-dive kit for the light. It's saved me a few times, too :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Though I'm not the intended audiance Camrone... Thanks that's a great tip and I got a West Marine just 2 minutes from work!

Thanks again.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

would the bulb protector from an ikelite spd 50w work for this?
If so, I have one you can have.
MZ
Attachments
ike 50w.jpg (4.73 KiB) Viewed 814 times
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Thank you very much everyone! I'm not sure what would other than Salvo/Light Monkey, so I better stick with what I know, and not experiment. I'm just very glad the flooded tube did not ruin the bulb. :joshsmith:
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Sometimes Light Monkey can be pretty slow on responding to emails, but I have found if I call them during east coast business hours someone is always available (386-202-4690).

Looks like spatman already has you covered on the ordering source :).