Focus lights - what do you use?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Focus lights - what do you use?

Post by nwscubamom »

So I have a Canon G9 in an Ikelite Housing with a DS-51 strobe. It's not a huge setup, but plenty big for me to carry around.
For my current focus light, I use a small 4AA battery LED light (UK mini Q40). I attach it to my strobe arm near the left hand grip and can maneuver it around with my fingers to shine on exactly where I need it. It's not bright enough to freak out the fish, just gives my camera enough light to focus accurately, which is what I want.

HOWEVER! Sometimes, on really close up shots, the light leaves a bright spot on the subject that comes through in the final photo. Usually it's far enough away to diffuse the light, but on some shots, it isn't. And it seems like it's the wrong color temp or something - the spot is obvious (at least it is to me).

What do you use? Can you move it around easily depending on how close you are to your subject? Does it leave a bright spot?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Focus lights - what do you use?

Post by ljjames »

i have noticed similar problem. So far it has been fixed by using a SOLA 'photo' from light and motion. Using either the red for focusing of the wonderful wide angle clean white light that can double as video for the DSLR's with vid capability.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

The DS125 (now renamed the DS160) has a built in focusing light in the strobe. It doesn't seem to leave a tell-tale hot spot. I also use a regular LED hand held dive light to focus with, it works really well when there's something hiding in a hole that isn't fully illuminated by the strobe focusing light.

there's some newer focus lights made now that have a sensor that cause it to switch off the beam when the main strobe fires. I don't recall the name, but perhaps some others might weigh in.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The Q40 like most of their lights is a zenon blub and is very yellow compared to your strobe. It also has a focused beam which isn't good because of the hotspot. Ideally a dedicated focus light will turn off at the moment the strobe fires but these are expensive. The other alternative is to go with an led which will more closely match the strobes color and it should be diffused so it does not have a hot spot.

I don't use a strobe, I of use one of my can lights in a snap on holder with a diffuser as both a focus and as my strobe. I have a second less powerful 3 led light on the right side to balance things out also defused. I can chose to use the camera flash as a fill if I want or not depending on the effect I want. I can take the can light out of the holder and hand hold it to get it where I want the light.

This probably way to much info but what the heck. Just find an inexpensive led light that you can fit with a diffuser. There are several small led dive lights on ebay for around 20 bucks that would work fine and if you need it I can probably make a diffuser for you.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

i use the Q40 on my mask strap so i can see my camera controls. i cut a piece of milk carton to fit inside the lens bevel to diffuse it. that may work well for you, it diffuses the light but it's still bright enough to see with and would eliminate the hot spot.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Janna,

The DS-125/160's that Dan mentions above work very well for Macro (and wide angle). If you are getting a bright spot, diffusing the lens on the focus light helps or using a higher f/stop will usually eliminate the hot spot.

As for what I use (not really helpful), is an 18 watt HID light:
Attachments
18 Watt focus light in my Left Hand. (Chan Hol cave).
18 Watt focus light in my Left Hand. (Chan Hol cave).
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I use this: http://www.backscatter.com/hostedstore/ ... ledfl.html When the flash/strobe fires, it shuts off for 2-3 seconds thus eliminating hot spots. I really really like it. It's small and easy to use...and cheap! Optical Ocean Sales also has one: http://www.opticaloceansales.com/focus- ... od_25.html I have both. Even though they have different brand names, they are exactly the same light.
Jenn
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I just bought a Light & Motion Sola 1200 at the Dive Expo last weekend. I had a chance a dive it for the first time this weekend and it is awesome! See: http://www.uwimaging.com/sola1200d.html

The light is TINY and quite amazing. It does up to a 1200 lumen flood for spotting, but switches to a spot light with the flick of a magnetic switch. Three power levels in either Flood or Spot mode.. I only ever found it necessary to use the lowest power mode however. The med and high were overkill. And at low power the internal li-ion batter (with a tiny external charger) it rated for over 4 hours of burn time.

I'm use to diving with a wide angle spotting light as my main light source, but it is really sweet to be able to flick over to a tight beam for a bit to look in a deep hole, and then back to a nice flood to show the reef.

The Sola 1200 is not cheap, but I am really blown away by this light.
Dave
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Great suggestions all! I am not wanting to spend much on this little fix - so buying a new strobe or a $679 light is out of the question - I like the idea of the milk carton diffuser in my current Q40, but I also like Jen's $40 light. Did the cheaper one come with the mounting bracket, and can you move the light easily once it's attached to your setup?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I dove for years with a $30 PrincetonTec Xenon as my focus light with an actual piece of milk carton attached with Electrical Tape. It's a decent solution and it works really well. They will flood once in a while, but at $30 a shot you can buy a 6-pack.
Dave
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I use a Big Blue 1x5 ... http://opticaloceansales.com/focus-vide ... d_214.html

I also have the Fantasea version of the light that Jenn uses, but found that for anything other than macro it doesn't provide sufficient light to get the quicker focus you're looking for with something like a G9. IF you're considering going that route, I'd be happy to let you try mine, and make your own decision before buying. Since purchasing the Big Blue, I don't use it anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Very kind of you! I figured my first plan of action would be to try the milk carton trick. Anything I can do to save myself some $$ is always a plus. Futhermore, there's something appealing about a homemade milk carton fix that is just cool. :supz:
If this doesn't work, then we'll figure out Plan B.

So, I got busy - we just drained a carton of milk at breakfast today - and cut out a little circle that would fit INSIDE the light housing bevel.

Here's what the light looks like before putting in the little milk carton circle:

And what it looks like after the little circle is installed:

Then I head into our Testing Laboratories, aka the Lavatory :partydance: and shine the light on the wall, 1 foot away, and take a photo of the resulting light pattern. This is without the milk carton installed.

And last, I plunk the little circle inside the light head bevel, and try the same test again:

Interesting, no?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It works and cost zero $ so it must be right! :joshsmith:
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

The surge of DIY joy sure is great, don't you think?
Dave