Gear Stolen from Alki Cove 2

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Gear Stolen from Alki Cove 2

Post by diverden »

Just in case you had warm fuzzy feelings about humanity or that you could run to the bathroom while other divers were gearing up in the water taxi parking lot in West Seattle without your fins being lifted off the top of your car, think again.

If you happen to see XL Jets with old spring straps and reflective "mud flap" girls on them, please punch that person in the face and reclaim them for me.

Thanks in advance!
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: Gear Stolen from Alki Cove 2

Post by mcloed121 »

if i see them i will get them for you
Anthony
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

if i see them, i will sic Lanky Pig on them.... and then turn them over to the German.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That sucks. I hate thieves. I will administer an Albuquerque style beat down to the miscreants, if they cross my path.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Any & all of us need to recover the missing gear first...THEN administer an appropriate thrashing to the perpetrator(s).
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ljjames wrote:if i see them, i will sic Lanky Pig on them.... and then turn them over to the German.
I just got this picture in my head of Alex keeping the gimp from pulp fiction in your basement...
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

That really sucks. If need to borrow an extra pair I have a set you can use. They don't come with the mud flap girl. Feel free to add them on.
Got Water?
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I will wait to see them.... then wait for them to dive with the fins..... then wait till they are around 80'.... then take them back for you :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Rotten bastard! :angry:

Because we enjoy diving so much, and all of the many facets of it, we tend to look at our fellow divers as kindred souls that are decent and honest. Every now and then we get reminders like this in which we have to admit that not all divers are such...I really hate that whenever it happens as it somehow makes what we do just a bit less fun.

Unless they tear the mudflap design off, the fins should be easy to spot if they are used at any of the popular dive sites. I hope that your fins are found and returned, and that the thief that took them pays a hard price.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

They could be decorating someones (non diver) party room. I mean, fins with the mud flap girl on them are pretty unique. Maybe I just need to conjure up an image that did not include on of my potential buddies ripping one of us off. Sorry this happened to you.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

To be honest, I don't think it was a diver that stole them. The disappearance happened when the truck next to me pulled out according to my dive buddy who saw this guy was leaving and opted to move his car to a better spot. The parking lot was full, there were few divers and almost no one in the restaurant. I'm guessing most of the cars there were people fishing off the pier. There has been animosity in the past between divers and fishermen.

Last year I was lectured for at least 10 minutes about how fish don't like bubbles and this has been a fishing pier "since I was a kid" and as far as he knew has always been a fishing pier and that divers go where they're not supposed to (in the no dive zone, but really, we mostly don't, we stay on the boundry line) and salmon season is short so "get the word out, you shouldn't dive here during salmon season. You guys have the entire Puget Sound [and we fishermen just have this one spot]." While chuckling, I replied "uh, yeah, ok I'll get all the divers together and let them know!"

Anyway, what is likely to have happened is that someone was leaving, irritated with the parking situation in general, saw fins, 3 feet from his car with no one in sight and simply thought . o O { fucking divers }, tossed them into his truck and left.

The moral of the story is don't leave gear unattended! It's not the first time stuff has mysteriously gone missing!

-Dennis
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I just got a PM from someone who claims my fins turned up on their car after their dive! My mind is blown! There actually might be some hope for humanity! Another win by Seattle Scuba!

-Dennis
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

hooorrray!!!!!!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Very cool!! Although a little weird . . .
Kelly
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Wow, ask no questions, give thanks to whoever made this happen. And a good reminder!!

I had fins and 2 two-lb weights liberated from Sund Rock. I was diving new fins so I'd laid the old fins and some extra weight past the high tide line just in case I'd need them to save me a walk back to the car. There were only two other vehicles there, but I didn't know everyone there. I checked w/ the dive shop for a few weeks afterward, also posted in various places. I just hope someone needed them more than I did.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Lavachickie: I've lost weights like that before at Alki. On the beach, lined up with a log and a mark on the wall. 30 minute dive: gone.

I have my fins back thanks to Heidi at Seattle Scuba! It looks like someone put them on her friend's car while she was diving... the NEXT day. Our only scenario, someone tried to peel my stickers off but they weren't coming off, also realized they were the wrong size for their buddy, too beat up to sell, and felt bad and put them on some random car the next day?

I got em back. Who cares. Don't leave gear unattended.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Unfortunately, sometimes I think it is divers ... I remember a bunch of years ago when BDub's computer went missing. He was walking around the parking lot asking if anyone saw anything and when he came back his drysuit was also gone!

Divers are like any other group ... they comprise all manner of people ... good and bad. Never assume otherwise.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
skubi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by skubi »

Glad you got those back!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Divers are like any other group ... they comprise all manner of people ... good and bad. Never assume otherwise.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's f'd up, but sadly true.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.