No Can light here, uh uh!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Ok, ran my can light yesterday, uck, was like having a side mounted tank,with a tank only on one side .

Threw my trim off, I kept rolling like a crocodile. Plus I really noticed the extra weight in how much air I was adding. I looked like a teletubby with all that air pumped in my suit.

Those goodman handles are like having a vise on your hand, and that dangly cord drove me crazy. Worse than that dog hair on RoxnDoc.

Also, still trying to figure out how to properly secure my new long reg hose, it kept draping down, then snagging the canister cord, which then cascaded to snagging on my Weight and Trim and belt buckles (3 of them now)

On the plus side, my dive buddies commented I look like a XXX (the name that shall not be spoken) diver, and were duly impressed with my new look.

After the second I dive I'd had enough dinking around with this stuff, and promptly dug back out my shorter Main hose, and my LFM XML Backup light. I threw that water heater in disgust back into its poor cardboard box, and covered it with a coat, so I wouldn't be reminded on how much I spent on it.

I'm sure the fish appreciated it, I wasnt having crap snag and dangle,and my weight and trim were back to snap on.

You folks with your can lights, more power to you, I can see where they are nice for light, perhaps in some Stygian darkness somewhere, but my LFM back XML works just fine, and without the issues.

Now, if perhaps you've taken the time to see this last sentence carefully hidden at the end of the post,(and haven't been incensed enough to be already firing off a reply about how in the world could someone not love a can light). This was a bogus post. I can't remember who suggested having some fun with it, so we'll see the outcome, and who gets sucked into it. There are a few hints in there that should have let someone figure it out.

There is some truth above, I did have some weight and trim issues, but fixed for the second dive. I do like the extra light, nice for signaling, but I'm not convinced its something I wanna carry for every dive though. my LFM light works pretty well. For night dives, I see this thing could be aweseome. But even during the day, it has its advantages.

[sarcasm]You folks can have your 7 ft hoses though.... :)[/sarcasm]
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: No Can light here, uh uh!

Post by Dusty2 »

Ya had me for awhile but the rolling like a crock was a bit hard to swallow!
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I was going to make a really lowball offer the your can light. :)
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Threw my trim off, I kept rolling like a crocodile. Plus I really noticed the extra weight in how much air I was adding. I looked like a teletubby with all that air pumped in my suit.

Hang the battery pack on your belly, acts like a sailboat keel.

Those goodman handles are like having a vise on your hand, and that dangly cord drove me crazy. Worse than that dog hair on RoxnDoc.

Duct tape the lighthead onto your hand, you control the squeeze, end of dive, just take your glove off. Dangly cord, one word, zipties.

Also, still trying to figure out how to properly secure my new long reg hose, it kept draping down, then snagging the canister cord, which then cascaded to snagging on my Weight and Trim and belt buckles (3 of them now)

Long reg hose, once again zipties. Belt buckles, I gots one of them big ones from a rodeeeooo I was in once.

On the plus side, my dive buddies commented I look like a XXX (the name that shall not be spoken) diver, and were duly impressed with my new look.

Comment that shall not be spoken.

After the second I dive I'd had enough dinking around with this stuff, and promptly dug back out my shorter Main hose, and my LFM XML Backup light. I threw that water heater in disgust back into its poor cardboard box, and covered it with a coat, so I wouldn't be reminded on how much I spent on it.

I've seen the back of your car, lost for good now I tell ya.

I'm sure the fish appreciated it, I wasnt having crap snag and dangle,and my weight and trim were back to snap on.

The fish laugh at us anyhow.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Is this a joke ? Cause its not the canlight.. I can trim perfect with a 32 lb scooter, and side mounted tanks.. Come on dude for real ???
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:Is this a joke ? Cause its not the canlight.. I can trim perfect with a 32 lb scooter, and side mounted tanks.. Come on dude for real ???
Did you read all the way to the end?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

bucknaked wrote:I was going to make a really lowball offer the your can light. :)
+1

Dang it...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Nwbrewer wrote:
H20doctor wrote:Is this a joke ? Cause its not the canlight.. I can trim perfect with a 32 lb scooter, and side mounted tanks.. Come on dude for real ???
Fix it with a 32lb scooter and side mounts? I would say yes, the good Doc read it all the way to the end.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

heh heh,,

eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Some of us here have the attention spans of a--ooooh, something shiny!!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

and some dont even make past "-ooooh"

Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

I was already checking the wallet for the money to buy the light !!

but then I read the entire post and was like ah crap!! got me !
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Jeff,

Did you really give up on the 7ft hose?

My personal feeling on the 7ft hose is that they are great, but that I see so many people diving them when they don't have the appropriate "supplement" the the configuration. For instance you should have a shorter 22 or 24 inche hose on the other reg for the necklace. And then hose routing is critical. Do you carry a dive knife on the left side of the harness? That can help in hose routing if tucking it under the can light doesn't take out enough slack. (Although you're tall enough I wouldn't think that's an issue for you).

I think it's important that people interested in diving a 7ft hose get some tootlage from someone who has experience with it. Making sure that your'e not tangling cords, adn hoses is critical. Typically you need to put the back up on first and then the 7ft hose, and then make sure its cleanly routed and not interefering with the light cord, or tangled with the backup hose etc. There are some good pre-dive checks you should do to ensure the 7ft hose deploys properly and is comfortably routed.

Anyways. Just a thought. I understand they are a pain at first, but I would encourage you talk to Bob again. I know you like the instruction he has given you in the past, he would probably be excellent for a day of instruction on the light, and more importantly the 7ft hose.

A 7ft hose becomes a "deal breaker" for me before a can light does as dives become increasingly advanced, or complexities are added.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

I think you just need to give all the gear more time. New gear is fun but can take a few dives to dial in.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

raptor wrote:I think you just need to give all the gear more time. New gear is fun but can take a few dives to dial in.
You back on the left coast yet?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Good comments, Kitsap.

I'll be even more blunt: a 7ft hose is not intended for our personal comfort and convenience. It's purpose is for saving someone else's life. If a diver makes the functionality and effectiveness of their backup/rescue gas-source a priority it shows they are thinking about more than their own skin.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

raptor wrote:I think you just need to give all the gear more time. New gear is fun but can take a few dives to dial in.
+1 Very few things in diving just magically work out perfectly without any practice.
airsix wrote:Good comments, Kitsap.

I'll be even more blunt: a 7ft hose is not intended for our personal comfort and convenience. It's purpose is for saving someone else's life. If a diver makes the functionality and effectiveness of their backup/rescue gas-source a priority it shows they are thinking about more than their own skin.

-Ben
Agree although if you aren't reasonably proficient, having a 7ft hose and wiggle room between me and another diver is not going to help a low or out of gas situation. Might as well stick with the shorter octo hose and just grab each other and ascend together.

Skills first, gear second.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

kitsapdiver wrote:
You back on the left coast yet?
Next week Saturday.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

#sigh#

I thought the 7ft hose reference would have been picked up on from the other thread on can lights..

Sigh

So for the humor or retention impaired, I do not have a 7ft hose, nor intend on converting .

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote: So for the humor or retention impaired, I do not have a 7ft hose, nor intend on converting .
Not until next week anyway.... :smt064
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote: So for the humor or retention impaired, I do not have a 7ft hose, nor intend on converting .
Not until next week anyway.... :smt064
Lol wow someone said it. True true.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

LMAO.... I got about a quarter way thru this thread and was thinking, shit I am never diving with this guy hahaha.... then I read the rest of the thread all the way to the end, and I thought to myself... HA! Im still never diving with this guy hahaha...

Seriously tho that was some funny CHIT!

Jeff Pack wrote:Ok, ran my can light yesterday, uck, was like having a side mounted tank,with a tank only on one side .

You folks with your can lights, more power to you, I can see where they are nice for light, perhaps in some Stygian darkness somewhere, but my LFM back XML works just fine, and without the issues.

Now, if perhaps you've taken the time to see this last sentence carefully hidden at the end of the post,(and haven't been incensed enough to be already firing off a reply about how in the world could someone not love a can light). This was a bogus post. I can't remember who suggested having some fun with it, so we'll see the outcome, and who gets sucked into it. There are a few hints in there that should have let someone figure it out.

There is some truth above, I did have some weight and trim issues, but fixed for the second dive. I do like the extra light, nice for signaling, but I'm not convinced its something I wanna carry for every dive though. my LFM light works pretty well. For night dives, I see this thing could be aweseome. But even during the day, it has its advantages.

[sarcasm]You folks can have your 7 ft hoses though.... :)[/sarcasm]
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Jeff Pack wrote:#sigh#

I thought the 7ft hose reference would have been picked up on from the other thread on can lights..

Sigh

So for the humor or retention impaired, I do not have a 7ft hose, nor intend on converting .
JP you gave me way too much credit. I barely smart enough to remember my own gear configuration for diving from thread to thread much less yours. Look at Big Brain you over there! Especially since yours is changing daily, weekly, or whatever.

But for the record I am humor impaired. NO Humore what-so-ever. This is the NO Fun Zone when I'm around!

Edit: JP- I hope you know that everything I say is in Jest, you seem to be a guy who can laugh at himself, and have had good humor about your transition in favor towards Can Lights.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

My daddy was a can light. Mamma never did take no truck with them, generally, but love can make you do funny stuff.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
Skills first, gear second.
In all honesty, the one time that I dove with JP he seemed to have his buoyancy together and have the skills to make a safe accent with somebody. And his team/buddy awareness was outstanding.

And in all fairness Jeff you are right, you have to be cautious about not changing too many things in the gear configuration in one fowl swoop. I wouldn't suggest you pick up a can light and a 7ft hose at the same time, but as you get more comfortable with the gear you do have and feel more comfortable task loading. And handling the gear you do have doesn't seems as daunting your opinion may change.

Too many changes at one time can do more damage than good. We on NWDC should be more cautious about how fast we encourage people to change their gear configuration.