MMM 2-26 recap

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

MMM 2-26 recap

Post by Nwbrewer »

Paulicarp found this article last week, http://heraldnet.com/article/20120323/N ... ck-site%0A about the Native American shell midden that runs along the waterfront and out into the Sound in Mukilteo. Since he and I were the only ones doing dive 1, we planned a little trip down to the base of the refueling pier to see what we could find in the clam shell beds that extend out into the water there.

After transfilling some gas around so that I’d have nice full al80’s to dive, we geared up and hit the water. As I am still scooterless, Pauli agreed to use the Paulicuda to tow me out there. After the last time we did something like this, and I wound up cruising along either in the propwash, or in pauli’s ass, I decided to try something else, and held on to the manifold. Super comfortable for me, (other then the occasional whiff of Pauli’s coffee breath that would sneak past the edges of my mask) but not for poor Pauli, or the paulicuda, trying to tow 2 divers and 5 tanks through the water with the drag profile of a Mack truck while being pitched upward. We’ll try something else next time.

After 10 minutes of scootering we somehow managed to blast past the clam beds, so we played in the refueling dock pilings for a bit, then cruised back and spent some time exploring the piles of empty clam shells until we both got cold and decided to make a run for the exit. Total run time 70 minutes.

We ran into Mortuus and Scubanewb in the parking lot, getting ready to do dive 2. Unfortunately I was late and cold, and Pauli was soaked (Note: putting your neck seal on with bubble gum apparently keeps you drive for only 60 minutes) , so we didn’t get much of a chance to talk.

Video from the archeological Expedition-

http://vimeo.com/39511381
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Re: MMM 2-26 recap

Post by Paulicarp »

It's really hard to find black bubble gum. :blackblink:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

MMM 2-26 recap

Post by kdupreez »

cool! even riding shotgun is fun on a cuda!! :D

have tried holding on to the crotch strap and ducking your head behind the tanks? no prop wash and very streamlined plus communication by touch on inner legs is easy :)

did you guys see anything fun?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote: have tried holding on to the crotch strap and ducking your head behind the tanks? no prop wash and very streamlined plus communication by touch on inner legs is easy :)
This was Pauli here, not LLJ :penelope:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

<snicker>
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:This was Pauli here, not LLJ :penelope:
:rofl:

I guess video from the ass-vantage point aint that great either ;) manifold-cam looks much cooler.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

kdupreez wrote:

I guess video from the ass-vantage point aint that great either ;) manifold-cam looks much cooler.
*cough* uh.....what kind of "videos" are we talking about, anyway?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kdupreez wrote:cool! even riding shotgun is fun on a cuda!! :D

have tried holding on to the crotch strap and ducking your head behind the tanks? no prop wash and very streamlined plus communication by touch on inner legs is easy :)

did you guys see anything fun?

I keep my hands away from guys crotches if at all possible. Plus I towed pauli that way the last time we went with just 1 scoot, and I was walking funny for days.

Light signals worked well in the manifold ride. Next time we head out there hopefully we get right to the clam shells and get more time to poke around. I was surprised how much structure out there North of the refueling pier.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Nwbrewer wrote: I keep my hands away from guys crotches if at all possible. Plus I towed pauli that way the last time we went with just 1 scoot, and I was walking funny for days.
you're supposed to hold on to the crotch [sarcasm]STRAP[/sarcasm].. not the crotch.. :penelope:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kdupreez wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote: I keep my hands away from guys crotches if at all possible. Plus I towed pauli that way the last time we went with just 1 scoot, and I was walking funny for days.
you're supposed to hold on to the crotch [sarcasm]STRAP[/sarcasm].. not the crotch.. :penelope:

Pauli + doubles + al40 =/= streamlined. More like towing a drag chute through the water by your crotch strap.

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

kdupreez wrote:

I guess video from the ass-vantage point aint that great either ;)
Jake needs a much wider angle camera to get that shot of me.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Nwbrewer wrote: Pauli + doubles + al40 =/= streamlined. More like towing a drag chute through the water by your crotch strap.

So, seriously, I have to say what's been said a thousand times in as many ways; Dive Xtras designs one heck of a great product. 2 divers 5 tanks = speed 8 for a solid hour. This battery is already 3 years old and I have yet to find a way to last longer than it does. Ray's da man! :notworthy:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Great video!!!!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I dont visit nwdc much, so I am just now seeing this thread. I wanted to say thank you Nwbrewer for the quick verbal map of the dive site. Me and Philip found everything perfectly. There was a ripping current when we dove, so when we initially got down to 65ft I decided to go with what ive been taught and swim against the current. But that wasnt going so well, and I dont recall hearing about anything to see at 65ft due East of the polyhedron, so we turned around and just drifted towards the polyhedron where we saw the wolf eel and other standard stuff. The current caused us to go through air a little fast, so after a little time there we just turned around and headed to shallower depths. Managed to find all those debris piles with critters in them too. Couldnt have done it w/o the pre dive parking lot briefing