Leaking first.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Leaking first.

Post by Linedog »

So I connect my din Atomic first to my tank and open the valve. I get a air leaking/hissing out. Turns out my din is loose from my first. I grab my Allen wrench and tighten it down (was finger loose) reconnect it and all is well. Is the Allen suppose to be torqued to a spec or something?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Leaking first.

Post by kdupreez »

Depends on your reg manufacturer.

For Atomic torque to 33 FT.-LBS using a 1/4" hex wrench..

also, I would remove the DIN fitting and inspect for o-ring pinch. when high pressure air starts to escape is has a tendency to make the o-rings extrude.

(And PM me if you need the service manuals or technician notes)

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks! I will disassemble it when I get home.
Pop tarts and gravy,
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK I pulled off the din and found the filter but no o rings. Put it back together and cranked down on the Allen wrench. No air leak so far, did I do OK?
Pop tarts and gravy,
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

There is an O-ring at the bottom of the Din assembly.

If you have any doubts on how to check the DIN assembly, just run it over to a dive shop.. They would gaurenteed check and torque it for ya in 2 seconds :)

Dissasembly:

Reassembly:

Technician notes:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks Koos, I found the O ring and washer, both look fine but I would like to replace them anyhow. Anyone know who's local that would have parts I can buy?
Pop tarts and gravy,
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Linedog wrote:So I connect my din Atomic first to my tank and open the valve. I get a air leaking/hissing out. Turns out my din is loose from my first. I grab my Allen wrench and tighten it down (was finger loose) reconnect it and all is well. Is the Allen suppose to be torqued to a spec or something?
Had the same issue with mine, tightened the din down but still leaked. Took it apart and found the oring had been catching on the lip and smashing it to make some of the oring protrude past the edge. I flipped the oring and it worked without issues.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I think I'll look in my O ring box and see if I have a replacement. From the photos Koos posted it looks like I should flip it over to reassemble it.
Pop tarts and gravy,