Hello NW Divers Club!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
JesseK
Just Settling In

Hello NW Divers Club!

Post by JesseK »

Hi there!
I am a new diver, just got my OW in November. I'm a soldier at FT Lewis, getting a medical retirement. I knew from the first moment I hit the pool on my way to OW certification, I was going to love diving, and that was true! I am head over heals in love with diving, and am already thinking of dives I want to do years down the road LOL! I would love to get to know more of the members here, and even do some diving with some of you (as soon as I can replace my fins and weight pockets... long story, posted a lost and found request).

One of the things I love about diving is the sense of isolation, I know I have a dive partner down there with me, but I have anxiety issues with crowds, and diving is such a calming and relaxing feeling for me. Another aspect that is great about diving for me, has to do with I have nerve damage in my abdomen (the reason I am getting medically retired from the military) and the pressure from the water when I dive actually feels soothing. The heat from my wetsuit and pressure from the water not only feels good, it helps alleviate the pain to a great degree.

At any rate, I hope to get some dives in with you all! I've heard so many great things about this community, I hope to become a member and old timer on the boards eventually!

Jesse
Jesse K. AKA "DevilCow"

"Ich habe viele Probleme, aber ich bin nicht so tot wie Elvis"
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello NW Divers Club!

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board! Diving is all sorts of good therapy, isn't it?

We have several weekly dives around the Sound - details are here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17214

and here (for our weekly South Sound dives)
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=3

And we're having a club dive in February!
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19718

Everyone is welcome at these, regardless of skill level or buddy status. Hooray for diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
JesseK
Just Settling In

Post by JesseK »

Sounds great! Once I have my gear back up I'll have to check into some of these weekly dives!
Jesse K. AKA "DevilCow"

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Jesse! There are lots of us in the South Sound (I live a couple minutes from JBLM) and we are diving regularly.

And I would venture to say that lots of us use diving as therapy of one sort or another, whether we admit to it or not. :)

Hope to see you in the water sometime!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

JesseK wrote:One of the things I love about diving is the sense of isolation, I know I have a dive partner down there with me, but I have anxiety issues with crowds
Jesse

I know what you mean, I dont tolerate crowds well at all either, which is why I live on a 10 acre estate, and detest ever going into downtown seattle. :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

welcome Jesse, It's nice to see another fellow Vet joining the board and learning what we all already know about diving. Diving IS therapy on many levels. I too have the need for the solitude that diving brings. Crowds and load noises are not any fun for me either but take strength from the fact that you are not alone in this feeling. Many of us who have been to hell and back experience these same feelings.

As for needing your equipment back to dive I'm sure it will find it's way home soon and if you want to dive just say so. There are tons of people in this area who will gladly loan you gear and with the weekend coming up probably help you find yours.

Hope to see you soon and gain another friend who knows what we know.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey Jesse?
Welcome to the Board,Club & addiction! :taco:
Hope to meet and dive with you soon!
I too, have severe nerve pain, from several failed back surgeries.
Diving is litterally, the only time I'm not in pain.
Pressure,cold water, distraction or whatever.
My doctors have no clue.
Hope you can dive on a Thursday! :smt064

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
JesseK
Just Settling In

Post by JesseK »

Dive on Thursday sounds great, where are the details? I work that day so I am not sure what time I can get out... Also if I don't find my weights at Redondo I will need to borrow some weight from someone there.
I have a belt with one led on it, I am hoping to get a couple more from a friend, but am not sure if he's still got them or not...
Jesse K. AKA "DevilCow"

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I or one of the other, regulars, put the Thursday South Sound dive plan on the "Dive Planning" section on Wednesday.
I have a 16 lb weight belt you can use and/or a few soft weights.. I bet between myself and others who show up we can get you weighted. How much weight are you diving or how much more do you need?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »