White's Fusion Bullet

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

White's Fusion Bullet

Post by LowDrag »

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a White's Fusion suit and I am torn between the Bullet and the Tech suit. I have read where some think the Bullet is too thick and takes too long to dry along with being heavy. Also, I have read that the Bullet limits your mobility more than the Tech or the Sport.

I also read a post over on SB that a diver claimed the suit was cut too short in the front and messed with his mobility there as well. Any thoughts on that would be good to.

I have been looking for threads on the Bullet but they seem to always get side tracked with something other than, "how does this suit feel, dive etc". If anyone dives a Bullet I would appreciate your insight as to how the suit dives for you. I know this is a personal perspective question but it would help out with my decision.

Thanks in advance.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Re: White's Fusion Bullet

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I dove the bullet in ow dives and dry suit class. I bought the tech one and diving it today for first time

Have you dove either yet?
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

LowDrag wrote:Hey everyone. I am in the market for a White's Fusion suit and I am torn between the Bullet and the Tech suit. I have read where some think the Bullet is too thick and takes too long to dry along with being heavy. Also, I have read that the Bullet limits your mobility more than the Tech or the Sport.

I also read a post over on SB that a diver claimed the suit was cut too short in the front and messed with his mobility there as well. Any thoughts on that would be good to.

I have been looking for threads on the Bullet but they seem to always get side tracked with something other than, "how does this suit feel, dive etc". If anyone dives a Bullet I would appreciate your insight as to how the suit dives for you. I know this is a personal perspective question but it would help out with my decision.

Thanks in advance.
I have all 3 skins. The sport skin is easiest to doff and don, allows maximum range of motion, but the stretchy Lycra is not as form fitting as the heavier materials . The sport skin will not accommodate pockets. It dries very quickly .

The tech skin utilizes some of the thin neoprene material making it less stretchy than the Lycra sport skin. It does have pockets and supports them just fine. It takes more effort to put it on and take off. The tech skin is very durable, with the added neoprene in high wear areas. The suit is very form fitting and feels great. It takes a while to dry.

The bullet is aptly named, it is bullet proof and fits very closely. This is the skin I currently use. I love everything about it in the water. Suit gas management is handled by the skin, raise your elbow and the suit vents. Putting the suit on has a slight learning curve,but if you do it like the Whites video,it is not that big a deal. The suit has removable elbow and knee pads, double reinforcing in all wear areas,,and is pretty much a suit of armor. Dries slowly. I hang mine in an unheated shop with a fan on and it takes about 24 hours to dry in the winter.

If you are concerned about hydrodynamics, the bullet gives you the fit of a custom suit with out all the pit falls associated with ordering one.

If you are a smallish person, be careful about ordering the neck ring that allows a quick change neck seal. This can make valve shut downs more difficult for some of us more diminutive divers. I do not have this issue with the ring, but some divers do.
Do not get the soft neoprene boots, get the rock boots, great hiking boots modified for diving, excellent shore diving boots.

I have 3 years of experience with all the forms of the fusion. Do not hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Good diving,

Jerry

Hoodsportndive N Dive
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

To seattelpaul1975: Not yet...We are doing our dry suit course in either May or June. My LDS is checking prices for me on Monday for the Bullet and the Fit for my wife.

To Jerry: Thanks for the info. I like the idea that the Bullet is just that...bullet proof, I don't want to worry about beating it up. I am not sure what it is about the bullet but there is just something calling out to me on this one. I am really looking forward to getting my new suit and getting it wet. I will definitely be calling you and asking questions. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks guys for the insights and info. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I agree with Jerryehrlich in every respect except his fondness for the Bullet.

The thing about the Fusion is that, with the two-layer construction, the suit is VERY hard to hurt. Even the Lycra skin works just as they say it does . . . anything that's going to puncture the suit catches the Lycra first, pulls it, and then lets go. I crawl around on limestone in it, getting in and out of caves, and have had no leaks in the knees.

I use the Tech skin because it will hold pockets, but it makes getting in and out of the suit more work. The wet suit is MUCH heavier, and it dries more slowly. The Bullet skin just makes all of that worse -- and what's the upside? You have to work to damage the suit to begin with.

I guess the things that sold me on the Fusion in the first place were the flexibility, the light weight, and the quick drying. The Bullet takes away all those things, and I've never seen what it brings to replace them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I can see what you are saying about the Bullet with regards to drying time. I don't want to seem as if I am ignoring your insight but I have been thinking a lot about what you have said I don't for see an issue for me on that particular point. Most all of my diving will be either here local at a lake or up there in your neighborhood with a short drive home and I can hang my Bullet in the garage with a fan to dry it out. I have thought about what I would do if I wanted to take my Fusion with me to a Caribbean destination. I would more than likely get the Sport skin like many have done and wear that and leave the Bullet at home.

Thank you again for posting your thoughts and insights about these suits. I am really looking forward to getting into one and diving it.

Dave
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks Jeff, that looks pretty cool. I take it you have one or two yourself?
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Jeff Pack wrote:You also want 2 of these..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 04I01P3217
Jeff do you use this? If so how do you like it?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

hell yes, they are awesome, no stinky drysuit, nice and dry.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

If you go from a sport or a tech skin to the bullet, you will immediately notice (and likely dislike) some differences (less mobility, heavier, etc.). If you are going from a standard dry suit to the bullet, you also notice (and likely like) the differences (more mobility, lighter, etc). You won't know what you don't know, so to speak.

The different skins are not prohibitively expensive. If you don't like one get another, get one to try it out, or keep your eye out for the Whites demo days.

I went from the fusion tech to a DUI and back to the bullet. I went with the bullet for two reasons - I like the pockets better, and I liked the color. It may be somewhat less flexible than the tech, but it's WAY more flexible and comfortable than the DUI. I don't care about drying time. If I take it traveling I'll use the tech skin.

YMMV, and as always with dry suits, it comes down to what fits best, what you absolutely need, and what areas you are willing to compromise or do without.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Dave,

You really need to get one of these! :taco:

http://www.roddenberry.com/roddenberry/ ... -skin.html

Just don't get the red one :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

selkie wrote:Dave,

Buy the patch and sew it on the skin. 10 bucks :)

Jerry
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

THAT'S AWESOME!!! You had me crackin' up!!!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

THAT'S AWESOME!!! You had me crackin' up!!! Yeah...NEVER get the red one, the red one always dies on the AWAY PARTY. :laugh:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

lol.. ensign expendable wares the red suit?
thats some fun stuff
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Waynne Fowler wrote:lol.. ensign expendable wares the red suit?
thats some fun stuff
That is EXACTLY why I am going either blue or all black. Haven't quite decided yet. :) Everyone keeps telling me about the red guys dying on the away missions. I don't want that hanging around my neck on my first in dive my new Fusion!!! :eek:
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Black!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Blue with matching converse
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Can I add a poll to this thread still??? :)
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Pulling the trigger tomorrow. Money on the table and order in by 11:00 AM!!! :taco:
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Awesome! Where are you getting it from? I was at silent world today and saw flyer for slt upgrade for free I think
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

We are going thru Oregon City Scuba. They are a new White's dealer. We will be meeting with the area rep there tomorrow to do our sizing and put in the order. I am stoked and can hardly wait. The SLT package is a freebie add on for the month of May so we definitely took advantage of that.

Does anyone have any insight on fin size? We are going with the EVO III boots. So far everything I have read says upsize by at least one shoe size. I am looking buying a new set of Hollis F1's in XXl for my boat 11 feet... :rofl:
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Our order goes in on Monday morning. Now all we can do is wait. My wife is MUCH more patient than I am. This is going to suck until I get the call from the LDS that our suits are in. Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, :eek:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have White's rockboots 11/12 and 12/13, and the XXL F1's fit fine. Get some silicon spray for the footpockets