Ships aground

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Ships aground

Post by oldsalt »

While fixing my breakfast yesterday I noticed a sailboat which appeared to be anchored near my home. While boats occasionally anchor there, I suspected something wrong because of the stormy conditions. Through the glass, I could tell it was unattended and called the Coast Guard. Unable to get a boat launched, they called me for updates until the boat ran aground on Jetty Island. Today, I motored Windwalker over to Jetty Island to check it out. I found an exquisitely maintained sloop with its anchor still streamed out to seaward.
SeaStar1.JPG
Notice the decorative door.
SeaStar2.JPG
This brought to mind my visit to another grounded sailing vessel earlier this year, the Peter Iredale, near Astoria.
Oregon Historical Society
Oregon Historical Society
Grounded in 1908, her bow is still clearly visible.
Iredale4.jpg
From this stern view, you can still see the stumps of her masts
Iredale8.jpg
I hope the owner of the Sea Star recovers his boat soon so that it doesn't become a relic such as the Iredale.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Ships aground

Post by Joshua Smith »

What an interesting post. The Sea Star looks like a beautiful boat. I wonder what the story is, there?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Right now (about 9:40 p.m.) the tug Jennifer H has gone up to the jetty and is pulling the Sea Star off the beach. Cool.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

But the question is why did she end up on the beach with no one on board? Looks to be a very well kept boat but looks like that 10 horse kicker is her only power so maybe the wind just got to her? Hope there was no foul play involved.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Dusty2 wrote:But the question is why did she end up on the beach with no one on board? Looks to be a very well kept boat but looks like that 10 horse kicker is her only power so maybe the wind just got to her? Hope there was no foul play involved.
If her anchor was out, she most likely just drug her anchor from its original position in the storm. Happens all the time. Even when your sleeping peacefully on board... and then you feel that "bump"....

Don't ask me how I know....
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:But the question is why did she end up on the beach with no one on board? Looks to be a very well kept boat but looks like that 10 horse kicker is her only power so maybe the wind just got to her? Hope there was no foul play involved.
If her anchor was out, she most likely just drug her anchor from its original position in the storm. Happens all the time. Even when your sleeping peacefully on board... and then you feel that "bump"....

Don't ask me how I know....
When I lived on my boat I never slept soundly at anchor. In the summer I would sleep on deck or I would be running up on deck all night checking for drift. It is always a bitch to learn a new area by braille using the keel. :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I never slept on the hook either, buoy yes or dock, but not on anchor!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I suspect most of you are right. She had a hundred foot of heavy chain and an oversized anchor out. The owner probably felt that was sufficient. But the simple fact is that most of our anchorages are too small/crowded to permit sufficient scope if a real blow comes along. We had strong winds from an unusual direction. I anchor out quite a bit, but when strong winds are predicted, I pay for moorage. This one seems to have ended o.k.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Did they pull it off at high tide?

I've slept at anchor before, usually after not sleeping all night the night before in a blow lol
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

CaptnJack wrote:Did they pull it off at high tide?
Yes. Incoming, just before the crest.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That's great, it looked pretty far up the beach. I didn't know if the tide was high enough considering whatever wind driven surge helped push it up there in the first place.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.