Computers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Computers

Post by RenaB »

What are you all using in the way of computers? I have no idea about these. The last time I was in class I had oil filled depth gauges, and tank pressure gauges, too. I really love navigation, and would like some information about compass integration as well. Thanks in advance.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Computers

Post by Linedog »

I am very happy with my wrist mount computer and brass and glass SPG. I use a Oceanic VEO 180, it's simple and the numbers are large enough for my old eyes.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jturner »

I've been using Hollis DG03 from DGX and it works quite well. Everything is automatic in the water and you can easily set alarms for various things with the option of adding air integrated if you desire. I recently got the usb cable and quite enjoy all the detail it gives me after the fact. The compass I have is pretty bad and hard to read... so I would recommend against the basic $22 one on DGX (It was a gift...).
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Due to the buddies i got started with early, i was turned onto using a basic bottom timer with B/G spg and compass. (UTD/GUE style) and have to say i really like it. don't have much to compare with though, and it requires a better knowledge of your tables vs relying on your computer. If you go that route, the Liquivision products are awesome, OLED displays rock. I've also seen some info on Xdeep's new competitor that looks to be a bit lower price for a very cool product as well.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

After owning several computers, my advise is to go simple and cheap. As a recreational diver, you need your computer to tell you three things; depth, dive time, and no deco time remaining. Everything else is a bells-and-whistles thing that you probably don't need.

If I was shopping for a computer, here's the criteria I'd look for:
Large display
Nitrox compatible
User changeable battery -(You want to be able to get a replacement battery from a drug store)
Under $300

The VEO that Linedog mentioned above fits the bill - The Suunto Zoop is another option.

As for the electronic compass, I've never seen one that actually works.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I use the ScubaPro Galileo Luna. I absolutely love it because it is easy to use, air integrated (I still have an analog SPG) the dives are downloadable to my PC, and it has full customization (display and the conservatism of the algorithm).

My son uses a Air Z Nitrox but as soon as I can get approval I will upgrade him to the Luna.

That's my 2 psi.

edit: Oh it also has a user changeable battery.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 on the three points Billz illustrates. Those are really what matter. Anything else is extra fluff. And while fluff is nice, make sure under the fluff you have those three requirements met!
I have used an Aeris Atmos AI Integrated computer with quick disconnect for about 11 years. It has a nice big display, easy to change both EAN settings and battery. It has other features as well, but I cant say I actually utilize them much.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I carry 2.
Zoop (console) and Vyper Air 2 (wrist)
john gearhart II
Avid Diver

Post by john gearhart II »

Hi with my limited experience I am very happy with the zoop cheap works every time and has more functions then I know what to do with and did I mention cheap
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

I have the oceanic Veo 2.0 It works fine for abs was less than 200 on Craigslist. I got the USB Sync cable and now download all my dives then sink them to my phone. It's nice to have the log both on my laptop and phone. I'd like a little bigger display but this one is fine. My compass is on a retractable cord as I just could not ever read it from my wrist. Now I look down on it and it's way better for me..... I got that one on Amazonm
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Depends on how old you are. If you are in the bifocal age range, go for an OLED display and just cringe and pay the extra. Believe me, it is worth it!

I have yet to use a digital compass that I think is worth anything at all. I'll stick with the simple wrist compass. And as much as I love the tilt-tolerance of the SK-7, we've had so many go south on us that we're using the Uwatec ones now.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

+1 for the OLED displays. I use a Liquivion Kaon computer backed up by a Xen timer / depth gauge. Brass & glass SPG - simple, reliable and not bulky.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

LCF wrote:Depends on how old you are. If you are in the bifocal age range, go for an OLED display and just cringe and pay the extra. Believe me, it is worth it!

I have yet to use a digital compass that I think is worth anything at all. I'll stick with the simple wrist compass. And as much as I love the tilt-tolerance of the SK-7, we've had so many go south on us that we're using the Uwatec ones now.
I was looking at a tilt compass in a console. When you say the SK-7 goes south, they just stop working? Or the tilt ability is not good?
Rena

RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:I carry 2.
Ok, I am wondering how this works, because isn't there only one high pressure connection on the primary?
Rena

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

RenaB wrote: I was looking at a tilt compass in a console. When you say the SK-7 goes south, they just stop working? Or the tilt ability is not good?
The tilt is great. The oil inside has issues and they leak over time which creates a bubble. At depth the bubble compresses and they bind and don't work at all. Then you have to toss them. They can last years and years or just a few months. Seems to be a function of their materials more than design.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

RenaB wrote:
Ok, I am wondering how this works, because isn't there only one high pressure connection on the primary?

There are 2 HP ports on most modern regs.

As far as SK7's go, I've mentioned this before, but they can usually be fixed, If somebody has one laying around with a bubble that they want to send me I'll fix it and take pictures of how to do it this time so I can post it. I wasn't sure it was gonna work when I did mine, so no pics.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
RenaB wrote:

There are 2 HP ports on most modern regs.

As far as SK7's go, I've mentioned this before, but they can usually be fixed, If somebody has one laying around with a bubble that they want to send me I'll fix it and take pictures of how to do it this time so I can post it. I wasn't sure it was gonna work when I did mine, so no pics.

Jake
Yup 2 HP ports.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

So, I found an Oceanic VEO 2.0 Navcon. It's in a console. I just like everything in a console (I think). The one I found has 18 dives on it (apparently) and they want $279. What do you guys think? I know this is likely to cause controversey or a fight :) But could you give me your honest opinion(s). Thanks
Rena

Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Anybody know what the difference is between the VEO 100 to 250 series VS the 1.0 to 3.0 series? I've been using the 180's and 250's and you can buy them for less than $200 in a console.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

My next computer is going to be a shearwater...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Desert Diver wrote:Anybody know what the difference is between the VEO 100 to 250 series VS the 1.0 to 3.0 series? I've been using the 180's and 250's and you can buy them for less than $200 in a console.
I was actually looking for this information. When I looked it seems the difference between the 1.0 and at least the two is computer integration ability. It appears that the 1.0 doesn't have this ability.
Rena

Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

RenaB wrote:
Desert Diver wrote:Anybody know what the difference is between the VEO 100 to 250 series VS the 1.0 to 3.0 series? I've been using the 180's and 250's and you can buy them for less than $200 in a console.
I was actually looking for this information. When I looked it seems the difference between the 1.0 and at least the two is computer integration ability. It appears that the 1.0 doesn't have this ability.
And that is the difference between the Veo 100 and the Veo 180. The 250 has 2 buttons making it a little easier to control and set up,
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

The x.0 series replaced the xxx series. They all should be reliable computers. The 100 has no nitrox or backlight though as far as I can tell. The 250 appears to be the same as the Hollis DG02 which I think is still sold new.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

The Veo 100's I've seen have nitrox. The 180 and 250 have the ability to set a nitrox level and leave it between dives which the older Oceanic pucks couldn't do. Oceanic really screwed up the battery changing when they went from the Prodigy/DataMax series to the Veo 1XX series. The older ones had a coin slot and were easy. The newer ones require a special tool and a bunch of dexterity and strength. Not an upgrade. I've been using the Oceanic pucks since the early 90's and they have sure been reliable and easy to use.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have the Oceanic Proplus V2.0 and so far I am happy with it. It comes in a console which you can attach a compass to the end. They now have the Proplus V3.0 and I think with it you CAN adjust setting once you have dropped on a dive. The V2.0 you cannot so IF you forget to change the Nitrox settings before you drop you stuck. I have a retractable Suunto SK7 that for now I have had no issues with, BUT I have crushed a couple. :angry:

dare I mention the words UEMIS and I still have my functioning UEMIS. If you know anything about the company and its history there have been issues with batteries which are NOT user changeable. However, if you wish to try it out to see what a bright LED display looks like while diving, I would be more then happy to let you try it out. I am usually one of the south sound thursday divers. :supz:
Jeff Castor