New(ish) Diver Looking for Buddies!!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
TinyGypsy
Getting To Know Folks

New(ish) Diver Looking for Buddies!!

Post by TinyGypsy »

Hey everyone!

I'm really excited to become part of the dive community here. A bit about me: I'm 24, I've technically been diving since the age of 13 after my parents (both avid divers) convinced me to go on a discovery dive and I got hooked. I was quickly certified through the YMCA and went on a few dives over the years, but didn't really get too many opportunities. After diving in Cancun about a year ago I caught the bug again and was recently re-certified in a PADI course up here.

So I've been on somewhere between 10-14 dives so far, but I want to keep it up!! I'm looking for people to join up with who have a lot of experience and are willing to look out for a newbie; I feel pretty comfortable in the water (buoyancy, lack of claustrophobia, etc.) but still need some experience planning dives and just overall feeling more comfortable as a diver. Also looking for someone to schlep me to dive sites in exchange for beer/burgers/brownies as I live the car-free lifestyle :D

Also, I've only ever dove in wetsuits and currently my gear consists of a mask, a bathing suit, and a watch. Happy to take any recommendations on starter gear, keeping in mind that I'm not exactly rollin' in the dough and may be moving across the country to attend med school next year (keep your fingers crossed for me that I rock my interview at UW and can stick around!).

Hooray! So excited to become a frequent diver!
Last edited by TinyGypsy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New(ish) Diver Looking for Buddies!!

Post by Gdog »

Hiya! Welcome to the board. Where do you live? We have groups of divers located around each end of the sound. Watch the planning thread for upcoming dives. Also watch the rest of the board to find buddies, gear, dive sites, etc. Feel free to ask questions and we will try to answer them!
TinyGypsy
Getting To Know Folks

Post by TinyGypsy »

Where do you live? We have groups of divers located around each end of the sound.
Oh, I suppose that'd be helpful. I'm in Seattle; Ravenna to be exact!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board! You are centrally located between our Thursday night South Sound crew, usually at Redondo or Three Tree, and the Wednesday night Bubbles and Suds at the north end, usually Edmonds Underwater Park or Mukilteo. Anyone is welcome at these dives, and you can typically be hooked up with a buddy. Schlepping may be a bit more challenging, but with enough planning it may work out.

As for gear.....try as much gear as you can before you buy it. Many of us have gear we are happy to loan out!

I am also one of many here who are happy to dive with newer divers, but typically dive on the weekend these days or later in the evening during the week. Let me know if/when you're available and let's go diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's a bunch of gear for sale here now.

I'd be happy to dive with you or take you out on my boat sometime. but I live in Kitsap so picking you up in Ravenna is going to be an issue. Perhaps you could carpool or do the car2go thing?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.