How many Tanks do you have?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

How many Tanks do you have?

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have often wondered about how many tanks other divers have. Some divers never buy and some seem to not be able to quit acquiring them. How many and types of tanks do you have now?

I'll start.
Air
2 Hp 100's
1 Double set of twin 60's on Aqualung backplake.
1 Single 60 with backplate
1 Al 30
1 Al 19

Argon
1 T-300 cu ft Lp tank
1 Al 25 Lp tank
1 Al 14 Lp tank

Forgot one
O2
1 Emergency O2 kit with LP14
Last edited by Aquanautchuck on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

In a week or so I'll be down to 2 steel 19s- 1 for air, one for diluent! :supz: Well.....to be honest, I have 2 40's for bailout/ deco, and 1-6 and 1- 12 cf for argon as well- anyone wanna buy a Doubles set of LP 98s?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

2 sets of 119 doubles
3 119 singles
5 LP95 singles
2 AL80's ... one set up as a stage bottle
2 AL40 deco bottles
3 argon bottles

a friend also keeps his tanks at my place ...

7 130's
1 119
1 LP95

My garage usually looks kinda like this ...
boydski
Submariner

Too many tanks

Post by boydski »

I had to go look in the garage before I could answer this one! Yikes!!

4 pairs of HP-100 doubles
1 pair of LP-80 doubles
4 HP 100's
2 HP 120's
3 HP 80's
3 Al 80 deco
3 Al 40 deco
1 LP 95
4 Al 6 Argon
5 T-bottles Oxygen
4 T-bottles Helium
1 K-bottle Argon

and a partridge in a pear tree..... =D>
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

tanks and typical contents:

2 sets double E8-130s (EAN32/trimix)
1 set double X7-100s (EAN32)
2 single X8-119s (EAN32)
2 Al80 stages (120 bottles, trimix)
2 Al40 bottles (20 and 70 bottles)
1 LP14 argon
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I knew Bob had a bunch, but a few others surprised me on this. I actually had 6 other tanks but decided to clean the garage and sold them.

How do you keep the cost down with the annual VIP's when you have a bunch of tanks? I heard once that you could take a tank inspection class and VIP your tanks, has anyone heard about this?
Charles
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i have 2 hp80s.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Aquanautchuck wrote:How do you keep the cost down with the annual VIP's when you have a bunch of tanks? I heard once that you could take a tank inspection class and VIP your tanks, has anyone heard about this?
You can take a course from PSI in Woodenville, which allows you to visually inspect tanks. Most divers that fill their own tanks inpect them as well.

You still have to pay for hydros every 5 years, and I do go through a lot of tank neck o-rings (~ $1 each), but having a LOT of tanks makes long weekends up to Neah Bay much easier...
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Is this like a list for people to come rob your house?
You can take the VIP class, it is offered through TDI, NAUI and lots of other groups, but I don't know that its 'offered to the public'. I am not sure about that one... I know that NAUI offers course books for instructors to teach, but I don't know what the requirements for students are- I would have to check the P&P manual.

Anyway, My small list includes
2- 100's HP AA
2- 80's HP AA
4- 72's LP AA
1- 19 AL Pony

We used to have 2 80 AL's but we lost them in the car accident a few years ago!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

2X LP72 doubles
1 set HP100 doubles
1 set LP85 doubles
2 HP 130s
2 LP 95s
3 single LP 72s
1 Al6 for Argon

Tanks have outgrown the shed where we originally kept them, and at this rate, they're going to need a house of their own . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

My list of dive cylinders is about like Scott's although I have only 2 Ks of O2 (250cf each) and 2 Ts of He (300cf each). But I also have about 2600cf of 32% in 2400, 3800, and 4500psi banks (7 cylinders in all).

The PSI class is offered to the public, its not rocket science. O2 cleaning tanks and valves can be a beetch though and requires diligence, a tank tumbler, steel and AL media, blue gold or simple green and lots of hot water.
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I only have a few tanks.. Thinking I need more.

2 ~ Alum 80's (the Ugly Stepsisters)
2 ~ Steel HP 80's
2 ~ Steel HP 119's ( I own one and I think I have legal custody of the other)

Will be twinning up the HP80's in the next few months. Looking forward to diving twins.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

jeff98208 wrote:i have 2 hp80s.
:supz: Yay Jeff! Way to not be intimidated!! :supz:

Until I saw your post I was getting a serious case of tank inadequacy and tank envy, but now I'm OK! \:D/

OK, here goes...

I have 2 HP 100's and 1 AL19.

OH, and one AL 30 or 40 (not sure which, it's long and green and skinny) that is O2 for emergencies.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I have the fewest toys.
3 130's :-({|=
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
turtle_guy
Getting To Know Folks

Post by turtle_guy »

nu uh i do 2 st 80s and 1 19
Howdy Y'All
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

1 119 \:D/
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Not enough!

1 - HP130
1 - HP119
1 - AL80
1 - AL30
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

You know that you have to watch them closely or the next thing you know they start breeding.

Does anyone know how long it takes a 6 cf pony to grow into a 80??? :dontknow: I remember that I bought a 6 cf and the next thing I know it is gone and was a 13, then it was gone and became a 19 and finally a 30. This took like 4 years. \:D/ Just joking but serious a bit, for those that are thinking of buying a pony in the future start with at least a 19 and skip all of the little steps I went through. It is cheaper on $SU's in the long run.
Charles
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Aquanautchuck wrote:You know that you have to watch them closely or the next thing you know they start breeding.

Does anyone know how long it takes a 6 cf pony to grow into a 80??? :dontknow: I remember that I bought a 6 cf and the next thing I know it is gone and was a 13, then it was gone and became a 19 and finally a 30. This took like 4 years. \:D/ Just joking but serious a bit, for those that are thinking of buying a pony in the future start with at least a 19 and skip all of the little steps I went through. It is cheaper on $SU's in the long run.
Buy an Al40 and rig it and sling it like a tech diver. You'll never grow out of that...
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Lamont, I kind of agree with you but I have decided to not go beyond recreational diving on air. I have tried slinging tanks, but because of my camera and strobe it always seemed to get in the way. When I have several deep dives like going up to do the wrecks in Canada I will sling a bottle of 36 or 40% to increase off gassing at the safety stops. But that is my choice.

After using a 19 cu ft pony for years I am this winter changing over to a 30. Winter will give me a bunch of time to get the weight and balance worked out.
Charles
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Aquanautchuck wrote: I have tried slinging tanks, but because of my camera and strobe it always seemed to get in the way. .
Hi Chuck,

I'm not trying to talk you into slinging a bottle, but I dive with a BIG beast of a camera all of the time, and really don't notice a slung AL 40 at all. If set up correctly (with the right cylinder), it will tuck up under your arm and you really won't know it is there. Even two AL 40's don't really get in the way once you're in the water and swimming.

Now Gas Changing with BIG strobe arms and strobes all gangly and in the way... that's another issue. One gas switch works fairly well while holding the Beast of a camera. The second gas switch, and stowing the hose on the first bottle while still holding on to the beast. That's pure entertainment... for your buddy that is! \:D/
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I guess I am just so damn comfortable with my pony on my back. I do sling when the dives call for it but you know how it is. I can put my hand on what I want without looking at all for it. I can turn my air on or off, I practice doing emergency bailouts and it works good for me. (ie: getting out of my bc/tank un-clipping my pony and doing a safe accent in just my drysuit.)

I will see how the 30 pony is on my tank, I like the Pony Tamer so much I have purchased the adapter for a 30. I may in the end just slinging it, who knows. Now if I do ever decide to go to doubles then that is something else.

I bet it is very entertaining watching you change gas with all your gear.
Charles
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

[quote="boydski
Hi Chuck,

I'm not trying to talk you into slinging a bottle, but I dive with a BIG beast of a camera all of the time, and really don't notice a slung AL 40 at all. If set up correctly (with the right cylinder), it will tuck up under your arm and you really won't know it is there. Even two AL 40's don't really get in the way once you're in the water and swimming.
[/quote]

What size tanks do you usually use. To this day I kick myself for selling my steel 72's.
Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Aquanautchuck wrote:I guess I am just so damn comfortable with my pony on my back. I do sling when the dives call for it but you know how it is. I can put my hand on what I want without looking at all for it. I can turn my air on or off, I practice doing emergency bailouts and it works good for me.

And that's all that really matters. For the record, I tried using the pony tamer and wearing it on my back, because I was convinced that was the way to go, but I hated it.....tried slinging it, and I'm totally sold on it- singles, doubles, my new, as yet undived Meg, I will always sling my bailout/deco/ pony bottles; but I really believe that whatever works for you.....works for you.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

1-13
2-60+-
3-72
3-80
1-80dub
=11
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!