How full do they fill your tanks??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

How full do they fill your tanks??

Post by Diver_Dave »

I notice that shops that fill tanks never top them off....Image
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My fills are always topped off @ Bellevue UWS \:D/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

fortunately for me I can fill my own tanks at my LDS. But I feel your pain I went to sekiu and had HP tank filled to 2700psi :pale:
Who run barter town?
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by Diver_Dave »

Yep having your own compresser really helps or use of a shops...I love having a comp. down under the carport..
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

That must cost you a small fortune to hydro all your tanks! #-o
Who run barter town?
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Only half of the tanks r in hydro...Yep need to go see Dave @ The Scuba TankImage
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

I once heard a trade secret (though it won't be much of one after this post). As DOT regulations are quite conservative, if you fill a 3000psi tank to 3350, a 3300psi to 3600, or a 3500psi tank to 3900 it will cool to be just about right on. This only usefull if your filling a a tank hot. If your filling it at a very slow pace I would not recomend this. I would never attempt this on a tank that isn't current on both VIP and Hydo.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Med. Bottles

Post by Diver_Dave »

And a lp steel 95cf to 3350 thats sweet...Here are a few medical bottles that I found hereImage
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

diver Dave, you are a crazy, crazy man. You've got more tanks than my LDS has for rent!!!! That's awesome, I bet you can fill your boat up with tanks and be gone diving for a week with 2 other buddies. Then again, you probably also have a compressor on the boat and all the tanks are just there for fun. \:D/

Brownick, what you say about 'overfilling' tanks is true, though I won't get into specifics here on this board. Also, the pressure exerted on a tank while it's cold or hot doesn't matter in terms of stress on the tank. The reason the person told you about having a tank overfilled while cold is a potentially bad idea is if that tank is then left in a hot trunk or out in the sun, it could become extremely pressurized!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

The reason the person told you about having a tank overfilled while cold is a potentially bad idea is if that tank is then left in a hot trunk or out in the sun, it could become extremely pressurized!
Now that would be some bottom time!! \:D/
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Comon DiverDown, you know there'd be the same amount of air (and thus the same bottom time), just more stress on that burst disk.

Hey, how was the dive this morning? I woke up at 10am \:D/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Actually we couldnt make the dive this morning. Our babysitter came down with something and had to back out. Oh well a few more years and we can take him diving with us.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

D.D Im jealous. I only have one medicine bottle from the twentys that I found diving.. Hopefully I can find some in October.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I too get great fills because I fill my own at the shop I work at, but i have experienced a 2150psi fill on my LP 95, and boy do i agree with you DD that 3250 on a LP 95 is sweet and alot of frigin air.

I am talking with some friends and we all want a compressor.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Yea we r running 5 LP 95s and we allways pump them to 3250...yep its a great fill....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

and at that pressure it is almost a 60 pound tank, great for bouancy characteristics. always negative, gotta love that
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Yep w/tanks like that I can do 3 sea life dives sometimes 4...Thats 3 dives 20minutes or more to 55ft+..When R U going to come up Mav? Weather is getting warmer and warmer....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

dave i justed opened my own business and i have no time right now, but i will get there
Maverick

STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I do have to admit that LP 95s @ 3250 do carry a ton of air, and that I commonly get every last bit into the tank that I can. But, when I really think about it, I come back with over 1000psi on just about every dive, so what's the point of overfilling?

Down here (to Diver Dave), we refer to LP 95s as "Bertha". I just picked up another one this past weekend! :bootyshake:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Overfilling tanks is hard on your tanks. It can cut the life of a tank in half. I get people in my store all the time that want me to pump their HP 80s to 4000 but I won't. On the flip side, I see tanks come in for vis and hydro all the time with rust and water in them from people draining them dry.

I would prefer people to leave their tanks, let me slow fill them and then top them off a few hours later. It was also recommend to me by the company that I purchased my compressor from that if you put tanks in water to cool, it is better to fill the tanks while in the water, rather than dunking them after to cool them down.

Without sounding too much like an instructor, coming up with 500-800 psi is not only safer, it is much easier on a tank.

I have the same problem as Calvin. I pump my HP 80s to 3500, and come up with 1200-1500 psi normally so overfilling does nothing for me. Call it an occupational hazard, but I do ok with air. I dive with newer divers so much that it is rare to have someone match me with air. However, I spend more than an hour underwater, I start to get cold.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Down here (to Diver Dave), we refer to LP 95s as "Bertha". I just picked up another one this past weekend! :bootyshake:[/quote]
Big Bertha huh??? Then what do u call a allum. 100 I rem.. when my son droped one on his big toe that was 4 years ago he tells me it still herts this day...Well my big Bertha was filled to 3180 on todays dive.. :la: :la:
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Im bad

Post by Diver_Dave »

Bought both my 95s @ garbage sales for cheep..I know its bad to fill them up that high but I dont think it herts them...I know all the tec.divers fill them even higher...I love the bottom time u get w/that much air...Image
But it can also lead to troubles if u dont watch your bottom time
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

That comp. was such a peice...It allways told me that I was dead thats why I use 2 computersImage
The Oceanic computers r so much nicer..
@150ft no body can hear u screeeem. :smt119
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

rental

Post by Diver_Dave »

rented this computer what a peice...Image
When I came up from this dive I still had a full 80ft on my back right????1500psi in my dual 80s = 1 full 80cf tank
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by Diver_Dave »

I love my Computer..Image
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska