SOLAS Reflective Tape

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alex
Aquaphile

SOLAS Reflective Tape

Post by Alex »

Anyone use this stuff on their dry suits or wetsuits? Any thoughts on it?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... lassNum=51
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: SOLAS Reflective Tape

Post by CaptnJack »

It works for lights, and is quite bright. If you think radar will see that you are deluding yourself. UW if really screws up photographers. The only universally good spot for it is on SMBs
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Alex wrote:Anyone use this stuff on their dry suits or wetsuits? Any thoughts on it?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... lassNum=51
I have SOLAS reflective all over various articles of clothing for work. I don't step out on deck without some somewhere above my chest. I've put a crappiest of spot light on SOLAS tape floating around in a pretty good sized chop in the dark... and it was unmistakable... like an xmas tree all lit up.

My drysuit hood has some sort of reflective tape on the top... its not SOLAS approved but I (irrationally) still feel better having it there. Probably no need to have anything reflective below your shoulders when you're diving.

I'm surprised someone doesn't make a hood with the SOLAS tape already on it.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Sockmonkey wrote:

-Eric
I think Pinnacle does one

http://web4.server1.merzcon.de/pinnacle ... o_hood.bmp

Hollis as well. Not sure if it is actual "SOLAS" tape though
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Ken G wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:

-Eric
I think Pinnacle does one

http://web4.server1.merzcon.de/pinnacle ... o_hood.bmp

Hollis as well. Not sure if it is actual "SOLAS" tape though
Yep that's my hood I linked in my posting... more importantly than the shiny spot on my hood... its wool lined. Mmmm warm.

-Eric

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Yep that's my hood I linked in my posting... more importantly than the shiny spot on my hood... its wool lined. Mmmm warm.

-Eric
I used to dive one of those. Then I stepped up to the Otter Bay, the difference was like between not wearing a hood and wearing a standard 7 mm.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

but with the otterbay its like a orange on a toothpick!!

I'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

head pants now!!!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Burntchef wrote:but with the otterbay its like a orange on a toothpick!!

I'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

head pants now!!!
Its like an orange on a toothpick... Its virtual planetoid... it has its own weather system.

-Eric

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I made solas tape hearts for my fins... Super sticky, Super durable... super annoying... ask ray... also see in any of the HD monkey videos that ray co-video'd :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

LoL I'd hate to be the photographer taking pictures of me - exposure times and ISO settings would just make me tell the person to get out of the picture.

I was however thinking of sticking a piece on my hood and my shoulders. They have the precut pieces which seem affordable. Maybe one on the tank as well just to annoy people if they shine lights at me.

Part of the reason I thought about it... I was doing a dive in some muck at Seacrest apparantly I was right near a class. When some other divers decided to all shine lights at me.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

ljjames wrote:I made solas tape hearts for my fins... Super sticky, Super durable... super annoying... ask ray... also see in any of the HD monkey videos that ray co-video'd :)
I've seen this 3M reflective stuff that looks black in the day but shines super bright when you throw a light source on it. They sell 8x10 sheets of it here.

I was thinking it might be kinda fun to sneak this stuff on someone's gear before they're filmed at night. Stencil out funny sayings/words and stick them on random black surfaces underwater?

-Eric

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I am a big fan of SOLAS Grade reflective tape and have used it extensively on my boating gear. I have had a poor experience with it on scuba gear. I think that 3M Scotchlite reflective tape and similar products that don't have an open cell design are probably a better bet.

I applied a 4"x10" patch of SOLAS reflective tape to a safety sausage that was rolled and stowed in a BC pocket. After one dive (less than 80fsw) about half the tiny hexagonal reflector cells had filled with water. About half the area of the tape reflects very poorly.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sockmonkey wrote:
ljjames wrote:I made solas tape hearts for my fins... Super sticky, Super durable... super annoying... ask ray... also see in any of the HD monkey videos that ray co-video'd :)
I've seen this 3M reflective stuff that looks black in the day but shines super bright when you throw a light source on it. They sell 8x10 sheets of it here.

I was thinking it might be kinda fun to sneak this stuff on someone's gear before they're filmed at night. Stencil out funny sayings/words and stick them on random black surfaces underwater?

-Eric
This guy does that
http://www.divesigns.com/index.php?main ... 6de34c9244

And also does lettering on other varieties of reflective tapes. Being priced in UK Pounds they end up being pretty expensive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.