Three BC area divers sent to hospital on the same day

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Three BC area divers sent to hospital on the same day

Post by DiverDown »

This is why continuing education is so important!! A lot of divers get certified and that's it. It would be a good idea to take some sort of rescue/self rescue class from a qualified agency..

Read this
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I wonder if it was really an oxygen gauge. If it was, I assume they had more training than basic OW.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

It sure is funny, That every time you here in the media about a dive incident.. They always say something about there oxygen gauge.. Personally, I like to dive propane at depths below 200m. I don't like the way helium tastes, and it makes me talk funny?!?! :smt119
Who run barter town?
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

Whytecliff is a popular training site, but 3 dive accidents in one day? Wow, that's tragic.
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Calvin Tang wrote:I wonder if it was really an oxygen gauge. If it was, I assume they had more training than basic OW.
I'm sure it was just a normal SPG... They have no business being around O2 at depth if they're losing weights...

I bet both of these were just simple OOAs at depth. And it sounds like the donating diver in the second incident may have gotten very mixed up in terms of responses to emergencies and attempted to ditch weights while doing an air-sharing ascent?

Lessons:

1. have a rockbottom gas plan, don't run out of gas completely
2. get larger tanks if you need more gas to stay down longer (or workout/dive more and improve your SAC rate)
3. practice OOAs/S-drills
4. dropping weights is to establish positive buoyancy at the surface, or to get off the bottom in the event of a major BCD failure/overweighting issue. students really need to be taught not just "ditch your weights in an emergency" but to realize that ditching their weights means a one-way ticket to the surface...
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

DiverDown wrote:It sure is funny, That every time you here in the media about a dive incident.. They always say something about there oxygen gauge.. Personally, I like to dive propane at depths below 200m. I don't like the way helium tastes, and it makes me talk funny?!?! :smt119
i know you're just poking fun ... but i think most "normal" folks might tell you that people breathe in oxygen and we breathe out carbon dioxide. or is that just me?
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

:prayer: Humbled again... :supz:
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

thelawgoddess wrote:
DiverDown wrote:It sure is funny, That every time you here in the media about a dive incident.. They always say something about there oxygen gauge.. Personally, I like to dive propane at depths below 200m. I don't like the way helium tastes, and it makes me talk funny?!?! :smt119
i know you're just poking fun ... but i think most "normal" folks might tell you that people breathe in oxygen and we breathe out carbon dioxide. or is that just me?
True, but what makes me crazy is when the media, who really should know better, perpetuate the general ignorance by not trying to get the facts straight. I sure knew that Scuba Divers didn't breathe 02 before I ever started diving-they breathe compressed air. It wasn't 'till after I started that I learned that they in fact did breathe pure 02 during deco dives at shallower stops. And I never went to college. You'd think that somebody with a journalism degree would know something like that.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."