My New Desktop Background

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

My New Desktop Background

Post by Sockmonkey »

I'll post more later from freediving (ahem... snorkeling) this morning. This one was my favorite of the bunch. Oh look.... this camera has a widescreen mode... who knew?
Possible Ulua Caverns 010.jpg
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: My New Desktop Background

Post by spatman »

i hate you.

and i should probably move this to "everything else" since gloating about your computer's desktop picture is not a trip report. oh, and because you're a jerk. :neener:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I have to say hate is a strong word.

But sadly the word "hate" falls tragically short of encompassing the loathing resentment I feel welling up inside me when I look at that picture :angry:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Well it isn't scuba really... but lets just call my free diving excursion yesterday morning a trip report anyways. And it's true there are times I'm boasting when I post purdy tropical photographs. Most often I'm really just starved for an outlet where people are as excited as I am about fish peeping. Maybe when I find some regular dive buddies I won't feel the need to clog up the board with non pnw silliness. Until then, color me happiest when I'm complaining.

Hawaii has possibly the coolest mottos of all 50 states. "Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono" which is translated as "The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness." It sounds more like something an REI clad prius driving Seattlite activist might say on earth day. The Hawaiians share the same respect for the earth that the mainland native americans do. That reverence and respect is still passed along to the most recent generation of locals. My favorite modern example of love for the 'aina is in Hawaiian roadside graffiti. The idea of spray painting the lava offensive enough that they'll gather white lava rock and coral to write out words against the black background of a lava. As you drive north along the Kona coast you'll see this writing everywhere.

That love and respect is also directed toward the Hawaiian reefs. With help from volunteers the state has installed and maintains a series of day use moorings all along the coast. These moorings alleviate the need to drop anchor and destroy the reefs. Anytime you dive off a charter boat here you'll find the boat hooked up to one. The story goes that the first influx of cash for these moorings came from avid diver Jerry Garcia. From what I hear Jerry was certified at Jack's Diving Locker and was a major force in preserving the reefs.

It was one of these moorings we were in search of yesterday morning. We decided to go find a spot called Ulua Caverns by offroading through the desert coastal land. My companion is an avid spear fisherman and I'm an avid seafood lover. A few weeks ago we were on the boat at this dive spot and saw some locals camping along the dirt road on shore. After estimating roughly where along the main road it was located, we just decided to turn down a dirt path and give it a try. I'm sorry I didn't think to take more photos of the 4x4 action but I was having too much fun finding all the places we were going to get stuck on the way back up. I guess we made a wrong turn somewhere along the way because we're pretty sure we overshot Ulua Caverns to what might be Horseshoe Reef. We haven't checked my phone's gps waypoint against our secret list of mooring positions but either way it wasn't the right place. It was tough to be disappointed because we drove his truck right down the hill onto a rocky beach. Beaches are rare along the coast and we assumed we would be scrambling down lava rock into the water.

Road onto the beach:

Easiest entry on the Kohala coast:

Structure:

Fishies:

Shallows:

Fishtank:

Dude!:

More structure:

Run away... run away:

Crown of thorns:

Fish murderer:

Squidward:

Too big fins:

Somewhat an uneventful morning in the water as far as my spear wielding friend was concerned but I was really pysched on the size and health of this reef. No real swim throughs that I saw but a whole bunch of ledges, overhangs and cracks to poke around in. I certainly plan on bringing tanks to this spot some time soon. Ulua Caverns still eludes us by land but I'm sure it isn't going anywhere any time soon. Rumor has it that there's a big lava tube 30 ft in diameter somewhere around the 60ft mark. I'm making it my scuba goal to find said cave.

Aloha hard,

-Eric

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Whatever. Cove2 has old lead acid batteries and toilets. Top that.

....... o O ( :banghead: )
:thumb3d:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

airsix wrote:Whatever. Cove2 has old lead acid batteries and toilets. Top that.

....... o O ( :banghead: )
:thumb3d:
If you only knew how much I missed poking around the junk à la deuce.

The diving is always greener on the other side of the fence.... uhh pacific.

-Eric

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I've refrained from posting in this thread so far. However after seeing the additional pictures you posted, Eric, I feel compelled to chime in and remind you to take a look at the banner at the top of the page. You know, the one that says "NORTHWEST dive club"?

:banplz:

Seriously, great pics and report dude
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote:You know, the one that says "NORTHWEST dive club"?

hey, he's north of the equator and even further west than us!

i still hate him, though.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Not only that, but he is on one of the Northwestern-most islands. Not the furthest Northwest, but enough to argue a Northwest status. We're screwed. He's here to stay. :dontknow:

(Eric, I really enjoy your posts and if you ever stop I'll fly to Hawaii and drag you over to your computer and force you to do makeup work. Oh, and feel free to include more bot content. :thumb3d: )
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nice pictures Eric! Whats up with the zip ties on the fins? Next April if your still there I'm coming back.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Nice pictures Eric! Whats up with the zip ties on the fins? Next April if your still there I'm coming back.
I plan on being here next April for sure. I suggest staying up here at one of the Hapuna or Mauna Kea beach hotels next time. Close to dive with me and right on the white sandy beach.

The zip ties are for the shark shield I'm required to wear at work. It gets threaded through those zip ties because I'm too lazy to take some small line and make loops. You can see the shield slipped through my jets in this photo and here.
airsix wrote:(Eric, I really enjoy your posts and if you ever stop I'll fly to Hawaii and drag you over to your computer and force you to do makeup work. Oh, and feel free to include more bot content. :thumb3d: )
Ben... if you flew to Hawaii you'd be under water too often to be able to force me to continue writing dive reports.

-Eric

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sockmonkey wrote:Ben... if you flew to Hawaii you'd be under water too often to be able to force me to continue writing dive reports.

-Eric

That's a risk I'm willing to take. :rofl:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Seriously, Eric- I look forward to your posts. I LOVE your PNW diver perspective on diving over there. I find it sort of telling that you haven't been able to connect with other hard core divers, like we have here....I'd love to come visit, one of these days; and when you come back in April, I think we should have some serious "welcome back" dives on the menu!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Scubagirl45 wrote:I agree with Josh about the welcome back dives! I would make a serious effort to come to Seattle for that. Thanks for posting from over there Eric, I'm glad you're staying active on the board........it wouldn't be the same without you.
:thankyouyellow:

I think I'm going to come back home for whatever warm water club dive weekend happens and just dive my face off. I'll let you know!

-Eric

Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Hey if you are interested. I just found out I earned a free trip to the big island from one of the distributors I work with. I will be at the Muana Kea area Nov. 12 , :supz: and definatly looking to do some diving. I can't stay out of the water very long. A couple of years ago I was in Kona and explored the island for a week. Lots of cool looking places to dive.
Doug
If only I had Gills
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote: I LOVE your PNW diver perspective on diving over there.
Absolutely.

Sigh....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Very cool shot of the squid! That's one thing I have never seen in Maui.

So, has your friend interested you in taking some free diving classes? I keep thinking about doing that -- I think it would be a kick. Plus it would make the breath-hold swim for my cave classes so much easier :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Hey Eric -

We'll be there from 26JUL to 09AUG and have you on our itinerary. Contact me so we can pencil something in. There's (depending on exact date) 7 divers and 2 snorkelers in my group.

We're also planning a "wet day" doing the tour and draining kegs at Kona Brewing Company.

-Ed
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tom Nic wrote: Absolutely.

Sigh....
Thanks Mr. Nic.
LCF wrote:Very cool shot of the squid! That's one thing I have never seen in Maui.

So, has your friend interested you in taking some free diving classes? I keep thinking about doing that -- I think it would be a kick. Plus it would make the breath-hold swim for my cave classes so much easier :)
There's quite a bit of talk about freediving class but only so much time in the week :(

We've seen quite a few squid around these days. There are a couple in the harbor that hang around our mooring. If you're on the facebook look up either Jack's Diving Locker or Keller Laros and you'll see some video of a squid with a fish in it's mouth. And if you look closely you might catch a glimpse of a freediver coming down to take a look. That'd be me. I got yelled at by everyone for freediving during a manta dive but it was worth it to see the squid.
Diver Doug wrote:Hey if you are interested. I just found out I earned a free trip to the big island from one of the distributors I work with. I will be at the Muana Kea area Nov. 12 , :supz: and definatly looking to do some diving. I can't stay out of the water very long. A couple of years ago I was in Kona and explored the island for a week. Lots of cool looking places to dive.
Doug
Damn straight Doug. I'll be here. Mauna Kea has the best beach on the whole damn Island. It's a super nice resort. There's a few dive ops up here north of Kona where the diving is way better. And there's always shore diving with me too.
edm81363 wrote:Hey Eric -

We'll be there from 26JUL to 09AUG and have you on our itinerary. Contact me so we can pencil something in. There's (depending on exact date) 7 divers and 2 snorkelers in my group.

We're also planning a "wet day" doing the tour and draining kegs at Kona Brewing Company.

-Ed
Expect a PM soon ;)

-Eric

Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Eric
26 days and counting, Can't wait. You still up for some diving?
Doug
If only I had Gills
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Maybe I've just missed it, but it seems like it's been awhile since there's been a Sockmonkey dive report to crack us all up. It's been awhile since there was a Sockmonkey video of pool ballet, or shocking the snot out of yourself with the shark thing, or using the jack off hand motion on camera.

Sockmonkey ....

I miss your reports. :crybaby:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
ryanone
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ryanone »

Excellent pics,,,Keep them coming !!!! =D>
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:I've refrained from posting in this thread so far. However after seeing the additional pictures you posted, Eric, I feel compelled to chime in and remind you to take a look at the banner at the top of the page. You know, the one that says "NORTHWEST dive club"?

:banplz:

Seriously, great pics and report dude
+1

Dick.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

dsteding wrote: +1

Dick.
Way to chime in 3.5 months later Doug. In the future try and keep up.
Jenbowes wrote:Maybe I've just missed it, but it seems like it's been awhile since there's been a Sockmonkey dive report to crack us all up. It's been awhile since there was a Sockmonkey video of pool ballet, or shocking the snot out of yourself with the shark thing, or using the jack off hand motion on camera.

Sockmonkey ....

I miss your reports. :crybaby:
No Bozo you haven't missed any new reports... I've been diving (in between travel to the mainland and the flu)... just not with a camera. Most of my dives have been fairly routine so not much to write about without a visual to go along with the story.

-Eric

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Scubagirl45 wrote:I agree with Josh about the welcome back dives! I would make a serious effort to come to Seattle for that. Thanks for posting from over there Eric, I'm glad you're staying active on the board........it wouldn't be the same without you.
I'm all in, for at least one of the Welcome back dives! :metal:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: