Dogfish question

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
gcbryan
Submariner

Dogfish question

Post by gcbryan »

I posted this question on another thread but thought I'd ask it here...why do I only (with rare exceptions) see dogfish for a couple of months in late summer?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Dogfish question

Post by airsix »

Rick Meyers (Bandito dive charter) told me that they are often seen in the late summer/early fall (varies) and that he was told they come into shallower depths to mate. A few years ago I did a charter on the 1st and 2nd of October and we saw individuals on every dive from Zee's Reef to Mauri Island. But at Point Defiance we saw literally dozens schooling. There were more than you could count.

I don't know if the "mating" answer is accurate or not - either did Rick. But it's what he had been told by someone else.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I think you're probably right. I think they're around locally all the time (not positive however) but we just see them now. Maybe they are deeper or just don't congregate unless they're mating. However, I don't even see the single ones at other times of the year.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Back in the day when I was fishin instead of goin down and lookin we would catch dog fish all year around so yes I think they are just a deep water critter that comes up to chase the girls in the fall like the 6 gills.