Maui

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Maui

Post by Diver Doug »

Anybody know a good dive shop in Maui. There was a hot deal on airlines tickets to Maui in Sundays paper, and to make a long story short.
MAUI DEC. 1ST. Oh yeh baby.
Doug \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :partyman: =D> :supz:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Re: Maui

Post by sparky »

Diver Doug wrote:Anybody know a good dive shop in Maui. There was a hot deal on airlines tickets to Maui in Sundays paper, and to make a long story short.
Doug : say it isn't so

your actuly going to try warm water diving
I am so jelious

I see how you are is it just you and lori or is te boy going to
hey give me a call this week Im off this saturday want to make a dive at netarts

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Pacific Dive in Lahaina on Dickenson St. is pretty good, but I mostly rented from them and took a jeep around the island, shore diving here and there. If you go boat diving you should do the backside of Molikini Crater, if you're at least Advanced OW.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The back side of Molikini Crater as a drift was awesome - the day we did it, there was a pretty strong current so we dropped off a live boat and got to see a lot of the wall.

Pro-diver Maui was a fantastic dive charter... everything's pricy in Maui, but they're right in line with the other dive charters. The difference is that they only take 6 divers out, and their staff is fantastic! http://www.prodivermaui.com

There is a chain of dive shops there (much like UWS here) called Maui Dive Shop. The largest is just North of Kihei but they're all over the place. Rentals were fairly cheap for shore diving, they carry standard Al80's, and cater to the vacation diver and snorkler (obviously). I too preferred "Pacific Dive" in Lahaina as a dive shop though... they helped a lot with directions and suggestions for shore dives around the island for different dives at different times of days. If you're not staying near Lahaina, it can be a bit of a haul.

Where are you staying?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Going to be staying just at the south end of kam 3 beach park at Kihei. If I remember correct, just out in front is a good shore dive. I wasn,t diving at the time but I remember the snorkling was great there.

Doug
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I will be there Dec 6-12th. I cannot wait.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, just south of Kameole Beach #3 is a rock jetty-type thingy (the dive shop can provide better directions). I think it's called "5 Graves" or something like that... There is a nice reef there, a bubble cave, there were lots of turtles and a couple big frogfish and of course the rainbow of tropical fish.

Most of the dive shops have maps with descriptions of dive sites if I remember correctly. Your closest dive shop will be Maui Dive Shop which is North of where you're at up just past the sushi place (which, by the way, ROCKS!). There's a tiny store front closer to you but the big one is a bit further north - just look for all the jeeps.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Diver Doug wrote:Anybody know a good dive shop in Maui. There was a hot deal on airlines tickets to Maui in Sundays paper, and to make a long story short.
Take a good look at Mike Severns Diving. Here's their link:

http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

Pauline Fiene (Mike's "ex") actually runs things. She is a professional degreed Marine Biologist (PhD, I believe). She and Mike have co-authored several books on marine life, mostly specializing in Hawaiian waters. Her dive staff are also all extremely well trained in marine biology. Dive trips with them are like getting an education in Hawaiian marine life in a classroom.....only deeper and FAR more fun and relaxed.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I couldn't remember the name of them! They came HIGHLY recommended from friends too. Prodiver and Mike Severens are the two premier charters on Maui from everyone I talked to before our trip. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Mike Severens.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I'll toss Ed Robinson's into the list of suggestions as well, they are the only op we call when scheduling our annual trips to Maui.

As far as dive shops go, Maui Dreams is very close to where you'll be staying. They cater to shore divers and is the "lds" that the locals use. They have a 10 fill air card for $40 and know the local shore dives extremely well.

One book I would definitely recommend is The Diver's Guide to Maui. It has driving directions to the popular shore dive sites, where/how to dive the site, profile, and what to expect to see.

As Sounder mentioned, 5 Caves/Graves is a very popular site and is a great dive. You can dive it a couple of ways...if you're decent on air, gear up at the grave site, then drive your car over to Makena Landing (1/4 mile) and walk back to the grave site. Enter there, and follow the reef all the way around, checking out all the caves and swim thrus, and you'll exit at the landing, where your car is at. Allow yourself 70 - 90 minutes for this route (if you really swim fast and don't want to see anything, you could make it in 20 minutes, but there is PLENTY to see), but max depth is 40 - 45fsw. The other way is to simply enter at the landing, go out, turn, and exit at the landing. We've seen as many as 4 white tips in a single cave, as well as upwards of 20 turtles on a single dive there, in addition to all the usual abundant life. I have probably 30 dives at that site and have never been disappointed. Get there early though (try to get in the water by 7 or 8am, especially if entering at the graves) as many of the cattle boats use this as their second dive. By 10am there can be close to 50 divers at that site alone. Maui Dreams has a great underwater map of 5 Caves that one of their DM's made.

Have fun!

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Molokini was beautiful this morning. Dove the" REEFS END" back to the wall, a beautiful location. Second dive was the east end of the back wall molokini, awesome, suspended above 300 foot shear wall. Visibility hard to tell, 100 foot plus. More to come.

Doug :supz: \:D/ :partyman: :bootyshake: :salute:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Yeah, flying out on Wednesday. Sounder thought he could sneak into my suitcase. #-o
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

There's still time for me to squeeze in!! \:D/
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Dove with Ed Robinson, on Monday. They are a quality operation to go with, extremely safe and concerned about every diver. I'm going out with prodiver tomorrow. We will see how they are. The back wall is an experience that everyone needs. Fish and all kinds of life everywhere.

Aloha Doug \:D/
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Wednesday I went out to Molokini with Prodiver. They are a very good outfit to dive with. I think probably the best. Small number of divers, ( six max ), and every attention to detail. i even found that in talking to the captain of the boat, he was born and raised in the town I live in( small world huh). We dove the reef's end at Molokini. We saw three different types of sharks, white tips, greys and galapagos sharks. The latter being very rare in Hawaii waters. Lots of fish, Jacks as big as a horse and small reef fish. Then we went to a site off the south shore of Maui called Red Hill. very good site with lots of fish and turtles. We also saw a Manta Ray and a huge 4 foot puffer fish. At the end of the dive was a very cool swim through filled with al sourts of diffferent fish and invertibres. It was also interesting diving under the snorkelers from the ----clothing optional beach. yeh whatever.

Aloha from Maui, Doug \:D/ :partyman:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Doug:

Sounds like your doing a little more diving then you thought you would

grate dive reports We are getting ready for the dive weekend back here
ill let you know how it goes hurry home we have to get some diving in
we have a new member that is a fellow Oregon Diver

how coll is that

dont forget my Tshirt

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

When my wife and I dove Maui, we spent 4 days on Prodiver... what a great outfit! Quality crew, good boat, and excellent service. Who was your captain? They're very safe and are usually the first to the crater - we were surfacing from our first dive when the other charters were arriving. Great fills with cold top-offs on their tanks too! We love Prodiver!
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

The captain was Don Taylor. We were set up at our next sight buy 8:00. I can't say it enough. PRODIVER RULES. Did a snorkel dive with a cattle boat this afternoon. The difference was amazing.

Aloha,Doug :partyman:

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

We are guests of IST diving gear and the Maui Dive Shop. Did a 3 tank dive on Thursday. Back Wall of Molikini, Front of Molikini, and a wreck...can't remember the name...I think it was St James??? Anyway, the seas have been pretty rough. The cancelled all diving yesterday.

Maui Dive Shop is a nice operation. Nice boats, very safe, good crew but very generic. Nothing negative but it wasn't a stand out operation.

I was a little disappointed with the back wall of Molikini. We saw 4-5 white tipped sharks and very colorful but I liked Columbia Deep Reef in Cozumel better.

We are doing the wreck of the Carthginean today. Full report later.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Did 2 dives today. First was on the wreck of the Carth. Cool dive, saw an eagle ray but the wreck was unimpressive. Swam thru and saw everything in less than 10 minutes. Wreck was very clean, but had 2 frog fish. That was about it.

2nd dive was an old pier in Lahina. Said it was 40 feet but I barely hit 30 with my gauges in the sand. Lots of life and turtles but vis wasn't that good and it was more of a good snorkeling spot than diving.

I am disappointed because we do not get to do the cathedrals. We are doing Molikini crater again tomorrow then coming home on Monday. While the warm water feels good, I have not been overly impressed with the diving. I love our colder waters better and we have more life.

Water temp is 77 degrees. Diving in a 3mm shorty comfortably.

Highlight of the day was we saw a humpback whale while we were cruising back to the harbor. It was a baby, about 40 feet long. He played, smacked its fins around and did at least 10-15 flips out of the water for us. It was so beautiful. Definately the highlight of the day.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

In Kihei .. I had good experiences with B & B Diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I am back in the northwest. Plane landed last night and the rain and the cold made me a little sad, but I love coming home too. Missed my son a lot.

The last day of diving was ok. I got a little annoyed with the dive master. We are cruising along, next thing I know everyone is below me. I am at 103 ft, and everyone is at least 10-20 feet deeper. Got back on the boat and he was, "hey, everyone seemed advanced, so I didn't worry about it". After what just happened at Lobstershop last month, I was pissed. Then, they were hurrying everyone back into the water after a 40 minute safety stop. I was not happy.

We did see dolphins on the way out and another whale on the way back in. That was awesome.

Overall, the diving was okay. I wasn't very impressed with the charter company and the diving was okay. So, if you are going on vacation to Maui, dive for 1-2 days and you will have fun. If you are looking for a dive vacation, you would be very disappointed with Maui.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think the dive operation may have had a lot to do with it. Prodiver was awesome, we saw tons of life, enjoy extended and entertaining surface intervals, and can't wait to go back! I'm glad you had a good time with Prodiver Doug!
ceejay2005
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ceejay2005 »

Be inspired and fascinated by the Snorkel In Maui's Molokini Bay Tour. Bring the whole family and enjoy this experience, regardless of their ability to swim. This snorkeling adventure takes you to the beautiful Molokini bay at the Coral Gardens. A Breakfast and BBQ will be included in this tour.

tours in hawaii
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

The best dive I ever experienced was on the Molokini wall with 200+ foot vis. At 130 feet, you could still see forever. Be sure to do this dive.

I found Mike Severn's dive charters to be first class. I can add my own voice to the previous comments that the divemasters are great at taking their time with you and pointing out the marine life. The large life is easy (like reef sharks) but it's the small life that really pops. They can tell you the types of nudibranchs and the various species of eels you are seeing. Plus, they quickly assess your skill level, and if you are experienced, they pretty much let you do your own thing within visual range.

Enjoy your trip!
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.