Computer troubles

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
vlad
Aquaphile

Computer troubles

Post by vlad »

Sharing some recent experience with my diving computer, Aeris Manta. I've got it one year ago and had over 50 dives on it since. The computer worked just fine all this time. Last weekend I had two dives on Saturday, one dive on Sunday and didn't notice any problems until right before the second dive on Sunday. While gearing up for the dive, I looked at the screen and noticed that according to the depth measurements I'm already diving 15 feet underwater for 2 minutes :smt119. Just in case, I looked around - no, I'm still on the boat, breathing regular air. I tried to wash the computer in fresh water - not much difference, still underwater but 'ascended' a few feet. I decided to go on with the dive, hoping maybe it will clear up at depth. No such luck, the computer showed depth with about 15 feet error during the dive and was still continuing to do this above the water. At home I put it in a bowl of fresh water and left overnight. The depth measurements were floating from 5 to 70 feet. At some point it even started beeping with warning about entering decompression mode :eek:. In the morning it was working okay (ta-dah!). I suspect this was either a crystalizing salt or a small air bubble or maybe some minor dirt that screwed up depth sensor. In any case, I'm sending it for service. It will be interesting to know if anyone has similar experience and was it just a one-off case or the computer required some repairs or replacement.

Best regards,
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Computer troubles

Post by Gooch »

It seems like 50 activations is the # I have heard for changing the battery on my unit (veo 100---ultra simple computing) so I kinda track it along with my log a bit to change the battery. I've been thinking I will just change it like yearly since its like a whooping $5 to to it but if yours is OEM changed...that could be different. LIke you said, could be salt but that's just rinsing and I haven't seen that with mine yet.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

you could try the battery change thing... but if it's got you diving while on the surface thats a depth sensor issue... i wouldn't trust the thing even if it 'seemed' to be working right... how old is it... still under warranty maybe??? At very least I'd talk to the factory and/or whoever you bought it from.

what a drag
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ScubaWarrior
Avid Diver

Post by ScubaWarrior »

I have been having a little trouble from my Aeris Ai with the battery saying its low, then once the computer gets in the water, it shows full again. I talked to the shop and they said that they see this a lot with Aeris computers... not very comforting to know, but I wonder if i change my battery if this would help or if anyone has any comments that they can suggest with this. Thankx.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

ScubaWarrior wrote:I have been having a little trouble from my Aeris Ai with the battery saying its low, then once the computer gets in the water, it shows full again. I talked to the shop and they said that they see this a lot with Aeris computers... not very comforting to know, but I wonder if i change my battery if this would help or if anyone has any comments that they can suggest with this. Thankx.
I actually have this exact same issue at the moment, but I'm well aware that I've got to change my battery soon. I've got almost 100+ dives on it since I changed the battery. I'll be more comfy when I get my bottom timer battery replaced too.

D(B)
ScubaWarrior
Avid Diver

Post by ScubaWarrior »

I was just reading a few other sites see if I could find anything about this issue, and it seems to be an issue thats been happening for a while. Nobody knows the deal, they change the battery and it still does the same thing. I need to change mine I am sure, but figured I would ask too.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

I really doubt it is a battery related failure. I've got this computer brand new, so battery was fresh then. It has low battery indicator, which isn't on. Plus, the secondary factor -backlight - it works just fine, no any signs of low juice. I've shipped it to the service, let's see what those guys say. Thanks for the feedback!

--Vlad
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

i'd be VERY interested in knowing what the factory say's Vlad. That's an awfully strange symptom. Personally I'd be uncomfortable diving a computer with such an ailment, especially as my primary means of keeping track of time and depth.

You do carry a backup, don't you?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Well, after almost two months of wait time, plus one call to the repair service, the computer is back. This is brand new replacement, so it is still a mystery what was wrong with the original one. Of course, this long wait time was a perfect excuse to get another computer, so now I do have a backup. \:D/

--Vlad
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

vlad wrote:Well, after almost two months of wait time, plus one call to the repair service, the computer is back. This is brand new replacement, so it is still a mystery what was wrong with the original one. Of course, this long wait time was a perfect excuse to get another computer, so now I do have a backup. \:D/

--Vlad
And you stopped at three tree, and didn't jump in!? 0] Tom told me you stopped by looking for me.

D(B)
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Yeah, one thing that I have a problem with lately is getting somewhere on time. :banghead: Some how I thought that the splash time was 9:30, so when I talked to Tom and learned that you guys already left, I got sort of disappointed and just turned back.

--Vlad