Si Tech hose recall

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
resonanceguitar
Getting To Know Folks

Si Tech hose recall

Post by resonanceguitar »

I'm sure most of you know this, but there is a major hose recall from Si Tech. If you have one of their hoses with the plastic insert at the threads you need to bring it in to have the insert removed. This insert becoming dislodged and blocking airflow is what a divers death is being blamed on. Just a heads up.
Attachments
this is what the inserts look like
this is what the inserts look like
flow restriction inserts.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 920 times
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Si Tech hose recall

Post by spatman »

LINK to Consumer Product Safety Commission release.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks for posting! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

So is that little restrictor falling out into the 1st stage and screwing it up? yikes!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
blt2go
Avid Diver

SI Tech Drysuit hose recall

Post by blt2go »

This link has pictures that didn't come through with the cut and paste.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10010.html

The hoses were sold from July 2006 through February 2009

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 14, 2009
Release # 10-010 Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 348-3529
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard; One Death Reported
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Diving Air Hose for Dry Suits

Units: About 65,000

Manufacturer: SI Tech AB, of Brastad, Sweden

Hazard: The hose contains an insert that can dislodge during diving and restrict air flow to the diver, posing a drowning hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: SI Tech has received six reports of hose inserts dislodging, including one that was involved in the death of a diver in Los Angeles, Calif.

Description: This recall involves a dry suit inflation hose that connects a diver’s dry suit to the air supply and allows for the pumping of air into the suit to set up a positive pressure arrangement to help keep it watertight. The hose contains an air flow restricting insert that may be either black, blue or green in color. The batch code is stamped on the threaded metal end of the hose. They were sold with dry suits and also sold separately. Contact SI Tech for a list of batch codes included in this recall or visit the firm’s Web site, http://www.sitech.se

Sold at: Diving equipment retailers and distributors nationwide from July 2006 through February 2009 for about $45.

Manufactured in: Sweden

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using diving equipment that contains the recalled low pressure inflation hoses and contact SI Tech for the location of an authorized dealer for a free repair which involves removal of the hose insert, or to receive instructions on how to repair the hose.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SI Tech at (877) 348-3529 anytime, visit http://www.sitech.se, or email the firm at recall@sitech.se

---

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC's Web site at http://www.cpsc.gov.
resonanceguitar
Getting To Know Folks

Post by resonanceguitar »

That is what they are saying. I've done a couple of the removals so far and have not seen a loose one, but that's not to say that it cant happen.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Re: SI Tech Drysuit hose recall

Post by mjachetta »

It is a simple fix, your LDS service tech can have you back in the water in minutes. I saw it done just yesterday.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i merged the two separate threads about the recall into this one.

thanks.