Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Re: Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by scubnewb »

Yep, got dive #18 in the other day, gonna break the big 2 - 0hhhh soon! :rofl:
Joshua Smith wrote:
chokolad wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I never rule anything out, but if you read my post to jeff about them and why I didnt like them you will see I have some medical issues that I will either have to endure the discompfort if I use them or find something else that work... And I am sure that wether I wear bio fins or I wear F1's will totally be the difference betwen life and death for me one day. But like I said, if no one picks em up I will give them a whirl again here and there a few times and maybe I will just keep em. I dont have rock boots either at this point and the boots on my drysuit are very flimsy so the support for my ankle that i would hope to be there for compfort isnt there. I think that maybe later down the road when I pick up my next drysuit set up and get some nice rock boots this may make a bit of difference in how they affect my legs... If you took a few shells from a assult rifle in your leg and shins you may understand where I am coming from.
Two of my dive buddies have problems with their legs. One had a knee surgery, another - hip replacement. They both are currently diving ScubaRro Jets (not that much different from F1s really). It is more of a technique+time problem rather than fin and you can't really figure out the technique if you sell a fin after one dive.

Yeah, but.....you're talking to a pretty new diver. Like, less than 20 dives, I believe? Let him figure out what works for himself.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Dont know about up in the Seattle area but I'm pretty sure Wally at Tacoma Scuba could get it done unless that is one of those shell suits that doesn'r allow for it. Give him a call.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Thanks I will give him a call tomorrow.
Dusty2 wrote:Dont know about up in the Seattle area but I'm pretty sure Wally at Tacoma Scuba could get it done unless that is one of those shell suits that doesn'r allow for it. Give him a call.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I had both and I do notice a reasonably significant difference between the Jet fins and the Hollis F1's. Some people prefer one, some people prefer the other, some people don't notice or care. I'm a big fan of the way the Jet fins handle and also how they 'trim' the diver out (they are a bit negative buoyancy wise), I was not so fond of the Hollis, I found them to be 'lighter' underwater and also stiffer with less finesse, but as you have seen here, there are just as many folks on the Hollis side of the fence and will likely argue my comments till the cows come home, so I really think it boils down to getting an opportunity to try both and finding your personal preference. It is perfectly normal to find one type that you adore and another not so much.

Additionally, there are more than a few folks who front kick, back kick, and do tech dives i can only dream of with Mares Plana Avanti paddle fins, in bright yellow even ;) Not my first choice, but i guess what i'm saying is the fin doesn't make the diver...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dusty2 wrote:Dont know about up in the Seattle area but I'm pretty sure Wally at Tacoma Scuba could get it done unless that is one of those shell suits that doesn'r allow for it. Give him a call.
I could be wrong, but I thought Wally left Tacoma Scuba?

I had a pair of jets and gave them away after using the Hollis fins. Not that they were bad, I just liked the F1

For me, I like the F1's a lot, I have 3 pairs and they trim me out little better and the foot pockets are better fitting than the Jets and I actually find the jets stiffer. But, when I taught a fundies class in Florida a while back, I used Jets and loved them in fresh water..

I borrowed Serge's Jets again a couple months back and found the Jets to be little better at back kicking, but the better trim for me outweighed the slightly better back kick.

They are both really good fins and you should take both for a spin to find which is right for you.

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I think I've got 5 years or so of diving jetfins and 3 years or so of diving F1s now... I think the jetfin blade is better for kicks since its stiffer and it'll flop less so that you'll either cut or push the water exactly when you want to more. On video the difference is pretty obvious and the F1s just look floppy compared to the jetfins. The reason why I go with the F1s is entirely due to the pocket, and I put up with 5 years of foot pain diving the jetfins and switching made all the difference. I have really weird feet though (high arches, I supinate instead of pronate, etc), so I don't expect everyone would have this issue.

I think the newer jetfins have gone to a softer rubber as well, though, so the difference may not be as much any more...
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

I love the f1's they rock very easy to use for me
Anthony
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dont be hatin' bruh. When I took up snowboarding i bought very humble gear and spent a small amount. I wasnt sure if it would be something I wanted to do alot, so I kept my investment low. I really got into it and after using my "humble" gear for a couple years, when I finally decided to INVEST, I was able to appreciate what the more expensive gear offered. I also did this with guitar playing, first couple guitars were 150.00 - 200.00 and then when I was playing a lot, I invested quite a bit into a guitar and was able to appreciate that.
So my point is just dive what you have and learn to love to DIVE FIRST. Once you get all the little things figured out such as bouancy, trim, SAC rate, and just all around comfort it will be then that you can most likely make a better judgement on how some gear changes will actually benefit you. I dont think the best backplate, fins, mask, or wing makes anyone a better diver, after a while when you find what works for you, it makes diving better.

So watch the hype and dont rush out to get all the gear that everyone will tell you to get. Wait until you are asking yourself questions like "hmmm I am getting pretty good at frog kicking, I wonder if a different fin will work better." "I seem to be a little foot light on my trim, I wonder if a heavier fin could help that?" "I really like the idea of having LOTS of air and might consider doubles down the road, wonder what my next bouyancy device should be?"

Just food for thought. Those fins might be exactly what you need, when you are ready for them.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Ah yes, when I say 'softer' I mean the way the tip allows the kick to finish, the kind of 'flick' at the end. The big ole hunk o' rubber part is indeed pretty darn stiff.
lamont wrote:I think I've got 5 years or so of diving jetfins and 3 years or so of diving F1s now... I think the jetfin blade is better for kicks since its stiffer and it'll flop less so that you'll either cut or push the water exactly when you want to more. On video the difference is pretty obvious and the F1s just look floppy compared to the jetfins. The reason why I go with the F1s is entirely due to the pocket, and I put up with 5 years of foot pain diving the jetfins and switching made all the difference. I have really weird feet though (high arches, I supinate instead of pronate, etc), so I don't expect everyone would have this issue.

I think the newer jetfins have gone to a softer rubber as well, though, so the difference may not be as much any more...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I love my F1s, but I wish I'd gotten 2XL.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by spatman »

Tangfish wrote:I love my F1s, but I wish I'd gotten 2XL.
I've heard that same lament a few times now.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

spatman wrote:
I've heard that same lament a few times now.
Me too, I'm glad I ended up with 2XL's with the equipment we wear up here that extra pocket space is needed.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Help me out here. What does the OP size "regular" fit vs the XL and 2XL?

I'm willing to buy and try his F1s but only if they are going to work with a size 10.5 foot in a turbo sole.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:

I'm willing to buy and try his F1s but only if they are going to work with a size 10.5 foot in a turbo sole.
No idea, really, but if you can swing by redondo tomorrow, I have a 2XL you can try and Dave has an XL.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I found a F1 size chart
regular = men's size 7-8ish
XL = 10ish
XXL = 13ish
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:I found a F1 size chart
XL = 10ish
XXL = 13ish
That may be acccurate, but they run small ish. I dive the F1s in 2XL, which surprised me...
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I found a F1 size chart
XL = 10ish
XXL = 13ish
That may be acccurate, but they run small ish. I dive the F1s in 2XL, which surprised me...
Yeah I just figured with a 10.5 sneaker there's no way I'm a "regular". I'd guess an XL since the turbo soles aren't very fat like rockboots. But in any case the OP's fins aren't going to work for me.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:

I'm 10.5 + turbo sole + XL F1s.

with rockboots XL's are way too small.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Slingshots.... Or Force Fins.. Geesh so much debate
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I wear size 12 rock boots and the XL's are too small. I need to sell them and get XXL's.
kdupreez wrote:I have 3 pairs
I have to ask what you use three pairs for? Do they each have specific purposes or did you just end up with three? Just curious.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

CaptnJack wrote:

Slipstreams are the amazing ones :partydance:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:

I wear 10.5 shoes and wear XL turbo soles.. I have 2 sets of F1's in XL and will bring you a set to try on Sunday :)

or we can just swap fins for the dive :partydance:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

ORDiver wrote:I wear size 12 rock boots and the XL's are too small. I need to sell them and get XXL's.
kdupreez wrote:I have 3 pairs
I have to ask what you use three pairs for? Do they each have specific purposes or did you just end up with three? Just curious.
a pair of Regulars for tropical diving and a pairs of XL's for cold water diving and spare set of XL's that I keep in the truck next to my spare hood and mask.. (I tend to forget stuff at home :) )
JayO
Avid Diver

Post by JayO »

Interesting.
A new pair of F1's for a scuba buck is a deal.
IMO, use what works best for you.

First dive yesterday with new F1's and I like them. Lightyears difference from what I was using from the first kick and the improvement in manuverability is substantial. With that excuse now eliminated, it's up to me.
Size 12 turbo sole and XL's seem to fit fine, easy on and off and I don't notice them. The bigger pocket on F1's helps. Size 12 rock boots are a struggle in XL's as I've tried. Pretty funny dance trying to get spring straps to stretch that far.
Now you've got me wondering if xxl would be an even better fit...hmmm...
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeremy »

kdupreez wrote:.. (I tend to forget stuff at home :) )
...and at dive sites...